Help me revive my hard drive

bob

2[H]4U
my CF-> IDE adapter came in the mail today. Plugged it in to the IDE cable (same one that my segate 250 gig is on), windows tried to boot. It got about halfway into fading from black to its loading screen, it froze and sat there with the hard drive lights on. I went and made a sandwhich, did a few things... About 2 minutes later, windows resumed loading.

Windows detected the sandisk CF card in the adapter. Explorer.exe had a cpu load of 99%, it took about 20-30 seconds for a click to register. I ended up closing and re-opening explorer, worked fine. Looked in my computer, the CF card wasnt there. I restarted, booted with the segate utility cdrom, and tried formatting the 64 meg CF disk. It formatted it, then said it could not finish due to some problem... Great.

I restarted the pc again, and let it load into windows. This time, neither the CF nor the segate were showing up under my computer. I restarted the pc once more, and watched BIOS... it showed my two IDE Cdrom drives, the segate, the sandisk, and my 80 gig SATA hitachi. I knew something was up by this time, so I popped in the segate cdrom which has the utility. But when I ran the utility, it said I had a drive which has not been configured for use with my computer (the 250 gig). I looked at it, and sure enough the damn thing showed no partitions.

I cant explain how formatting the CF disk and ONLY the CF disk could have wiped the 250 gig hard drive, seeing how only the lights on the CF card were active during format, and it took about 3 seconds. Call it wishful thinking, but Im sure most (or some) of what was on the segate, its still there... it takes longer than 3 seconds to wipe a drive.

What should I look into doing? There wasnt anything important enough on that drive to consider paying money for any software, but there was enough miscellanous crap that I will probably lose sleep over this.

Back