Help me plan out water cooling, please :D

• Thread starter Deleted member 72990
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 72990

Hey guys,

Well, I've got the upgrade bug. Now that I see all these exciting games on the horizon I want to get my PC ready. It is the PC in my signature. It is a really great system, except I'm not a huge fan of the stock coolers on the Titan video cards. They are noisy and the cards throttle too easily. I was thinking of building a water loop and incorporate the video cards into it. Here are a couple pics of my system. As you can see, it is a bit tight but should be doable. It is a Streacom F12C and I have my LGA-2066 CPU with a Corsair H110i 280mm radiator, plus my two Titan XP's.

dyjAXPX.jpg

F4DbH1g.jpg

I have mostly been looking into EK products as they seem to be the best fit for me, but I'm open to other options as well.

EK has a modular AIO setup which seems appealing, although I'm not sure if the abundance of long hoses with a much of quick disconnects would work great.

I think I can put together a decent custom loop using their products. There is a bit of room adjacent to the power supply (where hard drives would normally go) where I could put one of the smaller EK pump/reservoir combos. I don't have any hard drives there since I have a single M.2 drive on the motherboard and store all my bulk files on my separate server. EK seems to have pretty good cooling solutions for the Titan's as well as a compact SLI cooling solution that would help cut down on clutter. I can replace my existing 280mm corsair radiator with a 280mm EK radiator. I think I would like to utilize a couple quick disconnects in specific locations to help simplify draining when the time comes.

Any thoughts on how I should approach this project?

I'm no fan of EK, their copper stuff is ok, but the nickle stuff... well it could still be better.

EK's stuff is fine. They screwed up with their first Threadripper block, but they have since launched an updated rev which is pretty good, and that Nickel plating issue you mention - while certainly pretty bad - is a 7 year old issue, and has been good ever since. (it was pretty shitty how they didn't help their customers when it happened, but still, a historical issue).

Personally I have an EK fullcover block on my Titan, an EK Supremacy Evo block on my CPU. I have two Alphacool radiators. The combination works very well.

One of the great things about custom loops is that you can and should mix and match components from different manufacturers as best suits your needs. (just keep it either all copper or all aluminum, don't mix the two, or you'll see rapid corrosion)

That case is going to be a challenging one to deal with though. Very small. I don't understand why people keep building systems in mini-cases. I tried it once in 2009 with a Shuttle SFF case, but my takeaway from that experience is that it just isn't worth it. There is always going to be something you wish you could do (like add another radiator) but you just won't be able to. Get the biggest case you can find, and stick it out of the way under your desk, and fill it with as many radiators your budget will allow.

Last edited:
EK's stuff is fine. They screwed up with their first Threadripper block, but they have since launched an updated rev which is pretty good, and that Nickel plating issue you mention - while certainly pretty bad - is a 7 year old issue, and has been good ever since. (it was pretty shitty how they didn't help their customers when it happened, but still, a historical issue).

Personally I have an EK fullcover block on my Titan, an EK Supremacy Evo block on my CPU. I have two Alphacool radiators. The combination works very well.

One of the great things about custom loops is that you can and should mix and match components from different manufacturers as best suits your needs. (just keep it either all copper or all aluminum, don't mix the two, or you'll see rapid corrosion)

That case is going to be a challenging one to deal with though. Very small. I don't understand why people keep building systems in mini-cases. I tried it once in 2009 with a Shuttle SFF case, but my takeaway from that experience is that it just isn't worth it. There is always going to be something you wish you could do (like add another radiator) but you just won't be able to. Get the biggest case you can find, and stick it out of the way under your desk, and fill it with as many radiators your budget will allow.

I've been building PC's since about 1999 and have had my fair share of huge boxes. Now, as a minimalist, I really enjoy building clean, small, and quiet high performance PC's and this is no exception.

If he can put a thicker 280mm with good fans he can pull it off. I cooled more with less. I cooled a PII and 4890 with a dual 80mm rad once. And a pair if xeon 5080s and a gtx 285 with a 120mm and 2 60mm rads.
But a external rad rad would be a good idea.

OP, how much rad can you fit in the system?

I think I can fit a 280mm x 45ishmm thick in there, as long as tubing is flexible enough. I think the current rad I have is 25mm thick and works pretty well, and have a bit more vertical space available.

If people can fit 2x 240s in an Ncase I think he might be able to get this working.

with dual titans and that cpu? i would go with an external rad with a rad stand and quick disconnects or go overkill and get one of the triple 360 rads and never have to worry about cooling capacity again.

Back