Help me piece together a decent system from all my old school stuff plz

WarlordBB

Limp Gawd
I've been using an H70 for my 1156 setup which worked fine but I'm about to throw down for my 1155 parts and I want to go back to "real" watercooling. I still have all the parts mentioned in this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1569036

and here's a pic from that thread for speed's sake:

wc1.jpg

So, obviously I'd want to use the DDC pump with the acrylic top (via the top feed). In addition to that Thermochill Rad I have another 120x2 rad that I think was even better at the time as well as a 120 rad by the same people. I could use one of the Aquatube res's or even the Microbay (I think it was called). I'm thinking of using my MountainMods U2 UFO Horizon case so space shouldn't be a problem. What's got me stumped is the tubing situation (I don't have any) and the CPU block. Getting a socket 1155 bracket for my Cuplex XT is probably out of the question even assuming there weren't better blocks to be had for reasonable prices.

So if YOU had this jumble of retro gear to choose from, what would you add to it (without spending unless absolutely necessary) to make a basic, better than self contained (i.e. H100) setup that will work for socket 1155? I'm _really_ hoping not to eat into my Retina MBP budget any more than I have to so I'm hoping all I need is a decent CPU block, some tubing, and depending on what tubing all the cool kids are using, some fittings (most of mine are the Aquacomputer style smaller tubing fittings).

TIA

NOTE: Until I get the basics covered, I'm not concerned with hooking up the Aquero and until I get some better GPU's, I'm not concerned with adding them to the loop (or anything else right now).

EDIT: so with a little better searching I was able to find out that the XSPC Raystorm and the Apogee HD are the two contenders in the socket 1155 compatible and reasonably priced arena. Also, I'm starting to remember all the 1/4" - 3/8" - 1/2" tubing fights. If I could get away with it, I'd use 1/4" cause I hate dealing with monsterous tubing. However, it looks like I should stick to 3/8" OD because a) it's a good compromise, and b) I've already got some G4 - 3/8" fittings. So what tubing do I get (brand and specs)? Also, the real $10,000 question is, what are your other thoughts, is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:
The XSPC Raystorm is an affordable $50, and would serve you perfectly. Grab some tubing (~$15-20), use all your radiators with that 355, and you should be set. May need some fans as well. Choose one of your reservoirs you like best.

You shouldn't use 1/4" ID tubing, because that has been shown to have negative effects on loop performance. 3/8" ID and 1/2" ID perform virtually identically, so get whichever pleases you, in your case, 3/8" ID. Also, I would get 3/8" ID 5/8" OD tubing to reduce risks of kinking and allowing for tighter turns (probably not necessary in your case). 3/8" OD tubing is ridiculously small...

And if you really want to, you can put the DDC and 650 in series with each other.

Looks like all I really need is the XSPC Raystorm. I found some 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Tygon tubing and found a stash of Yate Loons. I used to have such big plans (and lots more extra money). I'll report back once I get things going.

Well, the good news is you can use one of the 8800GTX's for physx? :D

Grab the raystorm or if you want to save even more, snag a XSPC Rasa. Doing well with mine.

Looks like all I really need is the XSPC Raystorm. I found some 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Tygon tubing and found a stash of Yate Loons. I used to have such big plans (and lots more extra money). I'll report back once I get things going.

Be wary, tygon has plasticizer clouding issues...sometimes severe, as in clear hose goes opaque in days, depending on the tygon flavor. Primochill recently had bad batches too, but that seems to have been corrected. Tygon's issues however aren't batch specific.

Grab the Raystorm,, or perhaps a DTwaterblocks block. They are the lowest restriction which will aid flow in multi block setups.

My Tygon would be from back when those 8800's first came out. Its the food grade kind. We're they having clouding issues even back then?

I'm planning to setup the loop next week and run it for a week till I get my 1155 stuff so hopefully I will find any issues before I go "live".

My Tygon would be from back when those 8800's first came out. Its the food grade kind. We're they having clouding issues even back then?

I'm planning to setup the loop next week and run it for a week till I get my 1155 stuff so hopefully I will find any issues before I go "live".

Only way to know will be to try it. I used some Tygon R-3603 about a year ago, great stuff to work with, but clouded to opaqueness in a week.

Back