Help me pick out a 5600 XT card

x509

2[H]4U
So I'm finally building my new rig based on the ASUS ROG Strix-E with 3900X CPU and 32 GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM @ 3600. It's been so many years since I last bought a graphics card that my current system uses a GTX 660 .:notworthy: I am not a gamer, but I do a lot with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. With recent releases Adobe is adding new Lightroom features that benefit from a reasonably powerful GPU. So I settled on the 5600 XT for price and performance reasons. On Newegg or Amazon, there are all these different cards with only $10-20 difference in price. Would appreciate pointers on the differences between different brands and models.

Can all 5600 XT cards do 14 GBPS?

How do I find a card that is only 2 slots wide, and not 2.3 or something more?

Can't tell about the slots, but Sapphire and Powercolor I've HEARD (you need to do your research on this) have been on the ball with their 5xxx cards. Gigabyte is low-key doing well too.

The sapphire pulse cards are typically only 2 slots, but you should confirm

Can all 5600 XT cards do 14 GBPS?

No, not all the cards can do 14 GBps, I believe there were a few vendors who stated they would not be applying AMD's new BIOS since they stuck with AMD"s original spec and shipped their 5600 XT cards with 12 GBps memory. See below.

amd_5600xt.JPG

Sapphire Pulse, but do check on the sots.
Guys,

I have to say that I've read enough negative comments on community.amd.com that I'm seriously re-thinking this decision. The really scary part is that some of those posts are like just a week old and they say that the drivers aren't really stable yet. I like that the 5600-XT is comparable to GTX for a lot less money, but I also like reasonably stable and trouble-free drivers. (y)

My heart wants to get an AMD card, because I don't like nVidia, but I head keeps saying that I need a reliable system.

Guys,

I have to say that I've read enough negative comments on community.amd.com that I'm seriously re-thinking this decision. The really scary part is that some of those posts are like just a week old and they say that the drivers aren't really stable yet. I like that the 5600-XT is comparable to GTX for a lot less money, but I also like reasonably stable and trouble-free drivers. (y)

My heart wants to get an AMD card, because I don't like nVidia, but I head keeps saying that I need a reliable system.
If you are going to base GPU purchases off of emotions, then who cares about the technicalities? Play with a little bit of fire. :D Worst that happens is you get to see if your bias is causing you to make silly decisions. Best case is you never run into problems, and love Radeon.

If you are going to base GPU purchases off of emotions, then who cares about the technicalities? Play with a little bit of fire. :D Worst that happens is you get to see if your bias is causing you to make silly decisions. Best case is you never run into problems, and love Radeon.
But that's the thing. I know I should not base a GPU purchase on emotion. I may have to hold my nose a buy a GTX card.

But that's the thing. I know I should not base a GPU purchase on emotion. I may have to hold my nose a buy a GTX card.
Why would you hold your nose, it is only a video card. If a GTX or RTX serves you better that is what you should get. I would recommend a 2060 KO over a 5600 anyways. Performance difference would not be really noticeable. For DLSS supported games the 2060 KO will blow away the 5600.

With most recent 20.4.1 drivers my screen has been blanking out. Disabled AMD audio driver seems to have helped. Will have to give it time to see if that was the issue.

Yeah, until AMD resolves the driver issue, buying Navi anything is a pointless exercise. Get the RTX 2060, and enjoy your stable driver. Price and performance are identical.R

Last edited:
I been running 20.3.1 on 4 different AMD systems with RX 570 /RX 580 /RX 5700 /RX 5700 ref flashed without issues .. but I only use 1080p 72Hz Free Sync Samsung 27" curved display ..

I been running 20.3.1 on 4 different AMD systems with RX 570 /RX 580 /RX 5700 /RX 5700 ref flashed without issues .. but I only use 1080p 72Hz Free Sync Samsung 27" curved display ..
I didn't have this issue until 20.4.1, it fixed the HDR issue with Doom Eternal which looks awesome except when playing Doom, blanking out for a few seconds is no fun. I will see if I corrected the issue. It is utterly random as well.

2060 KO, true two slot card
https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-06g-p4-2066-kr/p/N82E16814487488?Item=N82E16814487488&Description=rtx 2060&cm_re=rtx_2060-_-14-487-488-_-Product

Still I would recommend a 5700 over this card, it would beat the 2060 KO in way more games in performance, 2gb more memory, increase memory bandwidth, bios upgradable to virtually 5700 XT performance etc. Just have to live with any quarks with the drivers.
noko. Thanks. But as I mentioned in my OP, I'm not a gamer, but I do most of my work in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. "Quarky" drivers can really screw up those products.

I haven't had any issues with 5700 series cards. Not sure what the rest of your specs are, but I've had them in x570 boards with Ryzen 3XXX CPUs. I'm running on the 20.4.1.

Buy sapphire or red devil if you want 14gbs or better. Some cards will do 1860 on the memory. Problems with games can happen as with any driver. I have found for me is afterburner and parts of Radeon have problems only in 2 games. Not being a gamer may not be a problem.

jesus, not everyone is having the drivers issues. mine were only a blip for one driver release, some had no issues at all. also, people have been having issue with the new nv driver, better never buy nv again right?!
Yeah, until AMD resolves the driver issue, buying Navi anything is a pointless exercise. Get the RTX 2060, and enjoy your stable driver. Price and performance are identical.R

Reactions: x509
like this
noko. Thanks. But as I mentioned in my OP, I'm not a gamer, but I do most of my work in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. "Quarky" drivers can really screw up those products.
Vega's performed well with Lightroom while not as good in games:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...C-2019-Enhanced-Details-GPU-Performance-1366/

No idea if AMD Navi cards are better or worst but I would suspect memory bandwidth and latency besides compute performance will count. Just not much data in that respects, maybe you know more. Working on super high res 360 type files then a Vega FE would probably work extremely well. With Vega FE and AMD pro cards that can use the Pro drivers, you can also use increase the memory footprint of the GPU, for like the Vega FE to 32gb using the high bandwidth cache controller. Just some stuff to think about. the Used market with very effective cards could also be on your list. Once again the 5600 with 6gb of ram, 192bit? lower bandwidth, less compute units makes less sense then a Radeon 5700 256bit bus, 8gb of ram not even considering gaming performance for compute tasks. Then again AMD Vega cards are very powerful for many professional applications plus really versatile with GPU memory configuration. AMD pro drivers are actually really stable, kinda suck for gaming, you might want to check pro cards out as well.

Found some photoshop benchmarks and once again the Vega 64 does extremely well, Radeon Pro Vega 64 which is a Mac 16gb version (basically a Vega FE) is right up there with the 2080 Ti's
https://www.pugetsystems.com/benchm...pplication=Photoshop&specs=Vega#results-table

2080 Ti results
https://www.pugetsystems.com/benchm...ication=Photoshop&specs=2080+Ti#results-table

Safe to say lower end cards will perform worst, ram bandwidth/speed, number of shaders, memory capacity looks to be key.

If you are not worried about gaming then get the best card, within your budget for what you want to do.

Last edited:
2060 KO, true two slot card
https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-06g-p4-2066-kr/p/N82E16814487488?Item=N82E16814487488&Description=rtx 2060&cm_re=rtx_2060-_-14-487-488-_-Product

Still I would recommend a 5700 over this card, it would beat the 2060 KO in way more games in performance, 2gb more memory, increase memory bandwidth, bios upgradable to virtually 5700 XT performance etc. Just have to live with any quarks with the drivers.

This is driver 20.4.1 with factory reset ,, XFX RX 5700 ref flashed to XT and never been apart , video is more about temps of 3700x with out of the box cooler .

Last edited:
Guys,

Oh

Does a big number of people have drivers issues? IDK, I had none. Just removed existing drivers from my system, uninstalled my R9 390, put the 5600 XT in, install new drivers...everything is fine

I keep seeing this thread and the first time I saw it, it made me immediately think of a Geforce FX 5600 XT.

That's the one you want, right?

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-fx-5600-xt.c589
No, actually its an AMD Radeon RX 5600-XT. But I have read enough bad reports on the drivers for this card that I have decided to go with an nVidia card. Now I'm trying to decide between a 1650, 1660, and maybe the 2060. I am not a gamer, but as I said in my OP, I do a lot with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.

How do I find a card that is only 2 slots wide, and not 2.3 or something more?

Some board partners will have it listed in the specs like "2-slot" or "2.5-slot" and so on (EVGA does this). Others will use inches/mm measurements, which in my experience 2-slots (or less) is no more than 40mm. I think it may get a little complicated when the measurement also includes a backplate, which doesn't necessarily cause problems when there's a slot limitation.

1660 Super I would think would work well with 6gb of DDR 6 14 Gbps memory. I don't think the 2060 would give anything more for Photoshop or Lightroom, if future versions start using RT and/or Tensor cores then maybe. Driver wise you will probably load and forget them unless you also load GeForce Experience which is for gaming, have to create account, log in . . . (not worth it even if you are a gamer).

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/geforce/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-us&gpu=GTX 1660 SUPER&gpu_filter=TITAN RTX~1,RTX 2080 Ti~17,RTX 2080 SUPER~17,RTX 2080~15,RTX 2070 SUPER~17,RTX 2070~17,RTX 2060 SUPER~14,RTX 2060~34,GTX 1660 Ti~22,GTX 1660 SUPER~10,GTX 1660~11,GTX 1650 SUPER~5,GTX 1650~13

This looks like less than 2 slots:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-si...0-graphics-card-black/6400625.p?skuId=6400625

This looks like 2 slots and not over:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-xl...0-graphics-card-black/6400622.p?skuId=6400622

Last edited:
No, actually its an AMD Radeon RX 5600-XT. But I have read enough bad reports on the drivers for this card that I have decided to go with an nVidia card. Now I'm trying to decide between a 1650, 1660, and maybe the 2060. I am not a gamer, but as I said in my OP, I do a lot with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.
It was a joke.

Back