help me pick new ram 12gb i7

PAo_ReVoLT

[H]ard|Gawd
Last edited:
sorry i make a bad link on the third and the forth one. is it better option for your recommend?

Why are some of you even recommending DDR3-1600 when the OP seems to want DDR3-2000+?

G.Skill is very good stuff as well as the Super Talanet stuff that was mentioned.

I still have 8GB of G.Skill DDR2-1066 in my Q6600 setup. I never ran it at 1066 because the closest I could get with the CPU running at 3.84Ghz was 960.... not due to the RAM itself, but due to the combo of bus speed and CPU multiplier I was able to run with the CPU.

On any of the sets higher than DDR3-1333 and even 1066 depending on the board, you will most likely have to manually set timings and voltages to get it to run properly.

currently i have this with my 980x Mushkin 6-7-6-18 1T @ 1633mhz the problem i cannot run should be very minimal because i could adjust my multiplier according to the ram speed and yes i would love to have huge ram bandwidth that i why im looking for something above 2100mhz

The i7 CPU only officially supports 1333 MHz ram. Filling all 6 slots and running the slots way higher than officially supported may cause stability problems.

Last edited:
the memory controller is part of the cpu, it has problems with 6+ dimms sometimes

anyone here has done patriot MIR? they send you a check or those stupid credit card as a rebate?

thx

I'm genuinely curious what people are running that requires 12 gigs of ram. I would save some money and get 6 or 8 gigs.

I don't know about OC'ing, but egg has ddr3-1333 4GB modules for $90 when you buy 4+. I'd DEFINITELY do that if I were you. 24G for $720

I'm genuinely curious what people are running that requires 12 gigs of ram. I would save some money and get 6 or 8 gigs.

If I was still in the computational part of my project i'd probably be looking to go to 24gb by now, but I'm over in the wet lab side of things now (another reason i'm dumping my X58 system for a mini-ITX)

The i7 CPU only officially supports 1333 MHz ram. Filling all 6 slots and running the slots way higher than officially supported may cause stability problems.

Apparently some are successful running 12 GB above 1333. I recently installed Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145271
however I was getting about 1 blue screen per week. I would like to learn the black art of running higher amounts of memory in an i7 setup.

I'd go with the G.SKILL PIS 7-10-10-28 @ 2200mhz = $160x3 = $480

seems to be the best bang for the buck

I've been running 12GB of the G.Skill Trident DDR2000 RAM in my i7 system @ 1640Mhz for the last 6 months without any issues (aside from a recent issue with one of the sticks). Though they're plenty capable, I haven't tried tightening the timings any lower than CAS 7. But I don't do anything special - VDIMM @ 1.64V and perhaps a bump in the QPI/DRAM voltage setting (not in front of my comp right now .. but I think a little over 1.3V).

Back