Help me pick a new monitor

Bravo25

Limp Gawd
Since I got a new LG OLED HDR smart TV I want something better than my cheap arse acer budget monitor. So i'd like people's input on what the best picture quality monitor I can get for under 1,000 on amazon with prime. My current monitor is 27" 1440P 60hz. So i'd like at least a 27" monitor.

The monitor choice is all dependent on what you're using it for or which genre games you tend to play and ofcourse personal preference. I would presonally recommend dells alienware ultrawide 3440px1440p . Best of everything in one, IPS, High Refesh rates, UW, WQHD.

For picture quality, I'd take a look at the Samsung QLED line.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-C32HG70-32-Inch-Monitor-C32HG70QQN/dp/B06XT6WQCJ/

Otherwise, I think ultrawide is the better experience. I'm on a 34" UW now and I like it a lot.

I am "testing" one of these myself (not sure if I should send it back) . This is a GREAT model, FreeSync 2. HDR compatible w/ local dimming (though I wouldn't buy it exclusively for HDR content especially if you're used to an OLED) , Quantum Dot "Samsung VA" , 144hz 1440p monitor. Its probably the best of its kind when it comes to 144hz IPS-ish 1440p FreeSync (2) monitors out there. In fact I think it is the only FreeSync 2 monitor line out at the moment, counting the 27" and 32" models plus the CHG90 which has similar specs but is a huge 49" ultrawide with an unusual 3840 x 1080 resolution. I should mention however that rtings and others have discovered that you want the 27" version - the 32" version does not have a flicker-free backlight.You can get one of these for around 430-470 on Amazon and they're best of breed I've found.

However, I see you have an Nvidia card - I don't know how attached you are to NV or if you wish to pay the GSync tax, etc..... but the alternative to the Samsung I mention here is the Asus ROG PG279QZ (note the Z - the Z is the newer version that has better panel QA). It is a 144hz > OC to 165hz GSync, IPS type panel. Doesn't have HDR support and the QLED style wide gamut etc.. but its a great panel for Nvidia users from all I read.

Oh and just to mention it - it will likely break your bank by about $700, but Asus does make by all accounts one of the best 27" gaming monitors around that has all the specs together IPS, Quantum Dot, 144Hz, HDR with tons of local dimming zones, all at 4K! PG27UQ is the model , priced ar $1500-1800!

Other suggestions come down to what you value most - do you want an increase in resolution to 4K but okay with only 60hz? Do you want an ultra-wide with good picture quality, but realize that these can be expensive and tend to top out around 100hz? Do you care about GSync and/or FreeSync? HDR? Do you want a monitor that has pro-level color accuracy/pic quality, but isn't really spec'ed for gaming or much else? It all comes down to what you value.

The Samsung QLED line from what I can see personally has exceptional color, picture quality, and features especially for the price. Especially if you game the 144hz can really change the experience if you're used to 60hz exclusively, and its feature set is considerable so I'd consider giving it a go - just make sure to stick with the 27" for the best backlight, apparently.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, I agree. Personally, I would aim for high refresh, and G-Sync (if you're using an Nvidia card).

Probably stick to 1440p max, as 4K can be a pain to get good performance (and you can forget high refresh).

Back