Help me pick a new case - silent with good dust filters

varzock

n00b
I am about to buy a new case but I can't decide which of these would be the best for me. My usage will be casual gaming, 3D-modeling, graphics design. The case will be on the floor so it needs to have good dust filters. Most likely I will cool the CPU with air only.

My current options so far:

a) Silverstone FT-02
+ I like the style, simple, no blinking leds nor ugly monstrous look
+ is told to be quiet and good in air cooling
+ build quality
- deep, not really a problem for me since I'm not going to be moving this
- some have reported about cabling issues, that it doesn't have enough room to route the cables in the back
- expensive but it doesn't matter that much since I want the case to last for years
- not so good in dampening the HDD noise?

b) Fractal Design R4
+ told to be really good in this price range
+ good on wallet
- don't like the looks of it as much as of FT-02

c) Corsair 550D
+ should be quiet
+ looks
+ roomy
+ easy to build your system into
+/- build quality?

d) Corsair 650D
+ looks
+ should be quiet as well if not as quiet as 550D
- a bit tall
+/- build quality?

e) Fractal Arc Midi (R2 coming up)
dunno really much about this, just have read it is supposed to be pretty good

I don't have the mobo chosen yet, just RAM, SSD and CPU.

Thanks in advance!

I vote for the Fractal Design - it's quieter and has surprisingly good airflow for a case that seems so closed-off in appearance. It will handle your planned usage very well - and check the results of this comparison test (part 3 linked, you can navigate to parts 1 & 2 from within) that it won:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lian-li-pc-b12-nanoxia-deep-silence-1-silverstone-ft-02s-usb3,3378.html

If you find the looks to be too boring, the front door is basically a blank slate that many modders have simply covered with one of the many styles of 3M Di-Noc adhesive sheets. As my PC is in my living room, I'm planning on using this color to go with all my natural birchwood desk and other furniture:

http://www.amazon.com/Brown-3M-DI-NOC-Carbon-CA-424/dp/B005HXE1JG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3IYUGAIM85QBA&coliid=IHOQZARDN0IZI

51aAs1b9NrL.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd get the midi and add magnetic filters or the 550D (which comes with them). It doesn't seem like looks is a huge factor..

650 gets a no vote for me for the properitary front fan..Booh on that Corsair. FTO2 works depending on computer location. On the desk it would use quite alot of space..

In my opinion is comes down to the 550d or the R4. Both are great cases, and the decision should come down to which you feel will serve your purposes better.

I recently built a new system with the 550D and I was seriously impressed. The layout is just a dream to work with, assuming you don't try to cram an EATX board into it. I'm not sure how the build quality compares to the Silverstone but I've had absolutely no complaints with it.

Thanks for the input!

After going through heaps of reviews, I've decided I'll pick a Fractal Design case.

Now here's the question: now that I've really put my thoughts in this, I don't think I need a full ATX tower case.
So I'm trying to decide between R4 and Define Mini.

As for the other parts, I've thought these (for the Define Mini):
MoBo:
Gigabyte G1.SNIPER M3
(since I won't be doing much overclocking) or Asus MAXIMUS V GENE
I think the Asus mobo is overkill for me since I don't think I'll be using all of its features anyway and I think it is overpriced. I liked the fact that the Gigabyte has Creative's chip for sound, thinking about my mainly usage.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
This is said to be quiet and it will fit the Define Mini as well.

I already got these:
Mem: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 Mhz 8 GB (2 x 4GB)
SSD: Samsung 840 PRO Series SSD 128 GB 2.5" SATA3
CPU: Intel I5-2500K
HDD: Samsung 1Tb (can't remember the exact model number)
Display: Samsung S27B970 (couldn't be more happier with this choice :))

What do you think, am I doing the right decision here?

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread varzock it has helped me out.

Thanks for the input!

After going through heaps of reviews, I've decided I'll pick a Fractal Design case.

Now here's the question: now that I've really put my thoughts in this, I don't think I need a full ATX tower case.
So I'm trying to decide between R4 and Define Mini.

I already got these:
Mem: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 Mhz 8 GB (2 x 4GB)
SSD: Samsung 840 PRO Series SSD 128 GB 2.5" SATA3
CPU: Intel I5-2500K
HDD: Samsung 1Tb (can't remember the exact model number)
Display: Samsung S27B970 (couldn't be more happier with this choice :))

What do you think, am I doing the right decision here?

I think you'll be fine as long as you don't overclock that monitor TOO much. I've heard "reports" of those thing sounding like 1500w hair driers if you go over 61 Hz!!!

But seriously, I'm in the same boat as you asking for suggestions regarding a decent and semi-quiet case.

I agree with you that the R4 is probably the best bet.

I'm willing to replace all the case fans and the fan on my Hyper 212+ EVO cpu cooler as well if needed. Any recommendations on 120 and 140 mm fans with decent airflow and quiet acoustics? (regardless of cost). Thanks.

Ok, yesterday I went and bought the case (Define Mini). First impressions: coming from low cost cases before, this is a huge improvement! I have never had a cable management area behind the mobo before so this was definitely a plus.

I don't care whatever people have been telling about the front fascia being plasctic and cheap looking since for me it doesn't matter: it looks clean and nice, so why bother more?

The mobo I bought was the Gigabyte Sniper (M3) and now the only complaint about the case purchase:
I definitely should've gone with the R4 but since it wasn't available at the moment I was kinda forced to go with the Mini. Why it's a problem? If I wanted to install SLI into this system, I really can't since the Gigabyte's mobo layout forces me to install the other card at the bottom and if (and it most likely will be) it is a "thick" GPU, it won't fit since the PSU will block it.

Summa summarum: I will still try to cope with this case but perhaps in the future I'll step to the R4.

So, I can't do nothing but recommend the Fractal Design R4 based on the experience with the Mini :)

Ok, yesterday I went and bought the case (Define Mini). First impressions: coming from low cost cases before, this is a huge improvement! I have never had a cable management area behind the mobo before so this was definitely a plus.

I don't care whatever people have been telling about the front fascia being plasctic and cheap looking since for me it doesn't matter: it looks clean and nice, so why bother more?

The mobo I bought was the Gigabyte G1.Sniper (M3) and now the only complaint about the case purchase:
I definitely should've gone with the R4 but since it wasn't available at the moment I was kinda forced to go with the Mini. Why it's a problem? If I wanted to install SLI into this system, I really can't since the Gigabyte's mobo layout forces me to install the other card at the bottom and if (and it most likely will be) it is a "thick" GPU, it won't fit since the PSU will block it.

Summa summarum: I will still try to cope with this case but perhaps in the future I'll step to the R4. The other option is to swap the mobo but I don't know what other benefits I will get if I go with Asus for example since I won't do any crazy overclocking.

So, I can't do nothing but recommend the Fractal Design R4 based on the experience with the Mini :)

Back