Help me pick a good smart phone phone

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I just found ouy my current contract expired november of last year! whihc is awosme cause I thought it was this year lol.

I want to get a nice smart phone of some sort but have no idea what are good ones, im goign to gowith either rogers or bell (i live about 1.5 hours out of edmonton if that helps)

I do plan to sign a new contract to make the phone cheap to get, and Im going to be asking for some perks lol. I just need ot know what phones are good.
I was looking at the HTC hero and the iphones on the telus site and the htc magic + on rogers, any opinions?

I was looking for a phone with a touch screen, blue tooth and wifi, im almost always near a wifi connection spot so i'd like to be able to surf the web on the phone over wifi and not have it cost me anything. Oh and a half decent camera, I tend to run itno some neat looking things on trips and never have a camera on me lol.

Being able to use things like google maps is a big plus while im in the city and need directions to lol, please any opinions help. trying to keep it under $100 for phone after contract

Im thinking im going to go with telus since I can get some good deals form their loyalty/retantion programs, any other recommendations from looking at the phones they offer ( www.telusmobility.com )

Im really liking the htc hero, is it pretty good?

Your options are, for a genuinely good phone...

Motorola Milestone on Telus
X10 on Rogers (But you're stuck with android 1.6 til q4...)
Fuck all on bell that I can think of at the moment...
iPhone on 4 of 6 carriers...
Blackberry Bold on 5 of 6 carriers...

Go to best buy to get your phone. There is a 75$ GC with the milestone, Bold, and X10 right now that off set the increased price if you want any accessories ;)

Any decent phone, you'll have to be aware, needs a data plan. These run at MINIMUM (For a real data plan) 50 dollars. That gives you 200m (150 on bell) + 500mb data and an option for unltd Text, My5, or Double base minutes (+100m)

I work in best buy mobile, So I've got that shit memorized... If you don't have a best buy near you, futureshop does the same, and no one has better prices so it's just a smart move...

ya i noticd the milestone after some mor elooking, realized its the canadian version of the droid (with locked firmware of course :mad: ) and i like it, since ive been wiht telus for 4 years and my contract expired im gonna milk them for a really good plan, after checkign around some guys were able to gte things like 3gb/mo on the $50 , so if they can do something like that and throw in say a $100 "programming" credit so i can get the milestone for like 450 then thats what im going to do.

my other option is to wait till the iphone 4g is out, hows that suppost ot be?

im still considering an iphone, I just like google maps and free apps lol. how well does the iphones maps work in canada?

Being able to use things like google maps is a big plus while im in the city and need directions to lol, please any opinions help. trying to keep it under $100 for phone after contract

Android also comes with Google's Navigate, which gives you voice-prompted turn-by-turn directions and such.

I vote for an Android phone. Its just so much more powerful and flexible than the iPhone, and no harder to use. You give up some eyecandy as a result, but gain so much more in return. Things like widgets make your home screen actually useful rather than a wall of icons.

Android also comes with Google's Navigate, which gives you voice-prompted turn-by-turn directions and such.

I vote for an Android phone. Its just so much more powerful and flexible than the iPhone, and no harder to use. You give up some eyecandy as a result, but gain so much more in return. Things like widgets make your home screen actually useful rather than a wall of icons.

Google Navigation is amazing... I tested it the other day with my Evo and it was so cool to see the scree in satellite view and then when you reach your destination, it shows your destination in Google Street View.

Best Buy has the motorola droid for $99, Dell has it for $19.99 last time I checked (have to be a new verizon customer for Dell however).

Best Buy has the motorola droid for $99, Dell has it for $19.99 last time I checked (have to be a new verizon customer for Dell however).

Canada, Not US.

OP, Don't deal with programming credits, you'll still have to pay for the phone in full up front either way and any accessories come out of pocket. Go for a lower rate for sure though :D

I've got a milestone, and I love it. Rooted it runs beautifully. No need for any custom roms so far... Everything is just brilliant.Couple little resets but meh, par for the course.

could you explain what rooted means? seen this term a few times before but dont know much about it, untill every phone ive ever used has been a 50-100 basic one lol

could you explain what rooted means? seen this term a few times before but dont know much about it, untill every phone ive ever used has been a 50-100 basic one lol

Android runs on a Linux system. Linux has a "root" user (that's the username, "root"), that is essentially the same as a Windows Administrator but times a billion. The root user can do *anything* and the system won't say no. However, by default you can't access the root user on an Android system.

So when people say they have rooted their Android phone, they mean they have unlocked the root user. That allows for some cool things, like modifying Android system files (such as deleting pre-installed apps you don't want), or running certain apps (such as an app to backup your programs + program data, or wifi tethering, etc...).

Rooting is also one of the steps towards running custom firmwares, kernels, and themes. For example, when I rooted my Motorola Droid I installed a custom kernel. Using an app that ran as the root user, it let me overclock the CPU to 1.2ghz.

Go for an Android! Everyone has an iPhone.....LAME!

Any of the phones by HTC or the LG Ally are great!

Go for an Android! Everyone has an iPhone.....LAME!

Any of the phones by HTC or the LG Ally are great!

Disagreeeeeee. Skip the Ally, no where near worth the money.

Incredible if you have good verizon service.
Evo if you have epic sprint service
Droid X if you have good verizon service and want a giant phone
Droid if you have good verizon and need a real keyboard
Wait for the captivate if you need AT T
Wait for the Vibrant if you have good TMo HSPA coverage.

Palm Pre! WebOS has the best UI next to the iPhone. It can't beat Android for number of apps, but WebOS has much better 3d gaming support.

Android is the way to go

I would however wait for an evo 4g, Droid x, Samsung galaxy s to come over to Canada as you'd want the most current cream of the crop as far as android goes.

I am running a nexus one with froyo 2.2 and it still makes me feel all gushy inside watching FULL flash on my phone

OH FYI! He's Canadian.

Milestone on Telus
Wait for the Vibrant on Bell
Wait for whatever Galaxy S comes to Rogers/Telus

Back