Help me pick a dell laptop for trading

cokewithvanilla

Weaksauce
I have been out of the computer game for a while, still playing around with sandy bridge stuff. I am setting up a laptop for day trading. It will be docked, as all my computers use E series docks (including my work setup). I have 3 offices with 7/6/5 monitor setups on e series docks. I do realize these docks are going out of style, but work probably wont upgrade for 2-3 years.

I used to use passmark scores to get a general idea of what a ccpu can do. Well, i keep finding that few things beat the i7-3720QM that is found in 14 inch dell laptops like the e6430. I know that recently power consumption has been an issue, and i believe 4th gen series and on were not as impressive due to this... but what am i missing? I can get a e6430 for $300 used, and I am having a hard time even in the thousand dollar range finding something with a CPU that beats it.... I kinda dont want something that old... computer needs to be rock solid.

Am i looking at something wrong? I need a balance of good CPU and GPU power, i feel like i cannot get that with a ivy bridge, but i cannot find a newer laptop with a better cpu... seems like strides have been made in gpu technology. What would you recommend? I want to save money buying used, i want the best cpu/gpu combo... will eventually run multiple (likely 4) 2k monitors and at least one 4k monitor.

edit: current laptop is e6420 w/nvidia graphics and i5 cpu scoring 4k on passmark. The gpu is overheating even with a clean fan and new thermal paste. BSOD during trading = huge loss

Get a Precision.

It can still use the E series dock, you'll find plenty of quads, Xeons, etc. If you're getting a new one, you can get 64GB of RAM in them. Check the outlet.

If everything is already docked, why are you even bothering with laptops? Sounds to me like there is no point in having a laptop for your use case.

If you get a tower, the CPU will be faster, the RAM will most likely be faster, the video will be faster, and it will run way cooler.

And it will be cheaper to buy.

Thanks for the suggestion, they are pretty pricey but may be worth it.

The reason for a laptop is the docks. I mentioned that I have 3 offices. I needn't be lugging a desktop around.

Thanks for the suggestion, they are pretty pricey but may be worth it.

The reason for a laptop is the docks. I mentioned that I have 3 offices. I needn't be lugging a desktop around.

Ok, gotcha. I didn't catch onto you moving in between 3 different offices with the same computer.

In that case, I would say the Precision M3510. Quad core ones can be had for under $1000 on eBay.

Back