Help me out?

Budman

I put the Bad in Bad Grandpa!
Ok... I've been out of the loop for a long time. I currently have a DIR655 router that's been rock solid for the last 6 yrs. The wife & I both bought new laptops recently & we added a new deck on the back of the house late last summer. We have the Roadrunner 90 mbs service. We get low 90's through this router on our wired desktops. I get good speed in the house on my laptop (high 80's) but nothing out on the deck.
I have a 1440 sq foot single story house. Our property slopes so our deck is 3-4 steps lower that the front part of the house where the router is. So we actually sit below window height. The distance is about 46ft from the router to the back outside wall of the house, then a 16ft deck.
I'm looking at something in Dual Band in the AC1200 range? Something I can go another 5-6 yrs before replacing. What do you recommend that will have the range for us on the deck? Can I use the old router has an extender or do I need to get something different to do that? I'm not real knowledgeable in networking, so it has to be simple. Price wise I'd like to keep it about $100.

Thanks,

I picked up an archer C7 v2 just 2 weeks ago. Very pleased with its performance and throughput as well as range on medium.

It was on amazon for 89 not sure if it still is.

Is it possible to move the router in the house to a location that would still work inside the house but also on the deck?

I have moved the router out to the living room where it more open thinking that would help out some but no luck.My house is long & skinny 65ft long & 24ft wide (No it's not a double wide). The wife & I each have our own rooms at the front of the house where the utilities/Internet feed all come in. The modem is in my room but I have ran a Cat5 cable out to the living room when I moved the router. It's a wide open shot from the living room/dining/kitchen to the back of the house from the living room with no walls but again the deck sits 3-4 feet below what the living room is.

If I pickup this Archer C7 what do you think about me mounting this in the kitchen to extend the signal out to the deck?

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=1247&model=TL-WA830RE

I'm not opposed to buying both but I can't run Cat5 all the way to the kitchen as I'm having shoulder surgery this week so I will be out of commission for the next 3-4 months on crawling under the house.

I think an access point is an excellent idea but I don't recommend the "wireless-to-wireless" sort ("range extender") unless it is the only option. Can you run a CAT-5e/6 cable across the house to the AP?

You won't even need a new router if you can hardwire the AP. A range-extender may still give you an OK experience with your current router but they are flaky in my experience. Even with a newer AC router they can be flaky (though at least you'd have a lot more bandwidth available). With a hardwired AP you could even go for a ~$30 802.11N one and probably still have a sufficient transfer rates and it would be no more expensive than the extender you linked (which actually does seem inexpensive to me for an extender - I guess they've come down in price since I last checked). Especially if your wireless "load" is spread out over the wireless from the router and the wireless from the AP.

I don't think I agree with the suggestions to simply buy the new router. The Archer C7 seems like a great device for the price, but "great for the price" and "great signal" don't go together.

Back