Help me OC my P4-540 3.2GHz to 4.0GHz *56K WARNING*

MakubexGB

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone been able to OC the P4 540 LGA 775 3.2GHz over 3.927GHz and keep it stable with an ASUS P5AD2 Premium? I tried, but taking the CPU any higher results in instability problems. When the CPU goes under load the PC crashes into a blue screen that says something about hardware problems blah blah. Heat is not the problem as you can see:

comp0073fe.jpg

cpuzreading2te.jpg
asusprobereading1rz.jpg

My BIOS Settings are:
FSB = 245
VCore = 1.45v
MemCore = 1.9v
PCI Clock = 33.33MHz
AI Booster = Disabled
Memory Timings: 5-4-4-12

I don't know much about prescotts and voltage, but would 1.475 be ok for it?

robberbaron said:
I don't know much about prescotts and voltage, but would 1.475 be ok for it?

Yes it would be ok, but it still doesn't solve my problem. I tried higher voltages than what I'm giving it now (1.45v), but it would still crash. Thanks anyway.

RM_Bulldog said:
you have that on air and are complaining?
Hehe, I just wanna know if someone made it to 4.0GHz with this processor and this particular motherboard.

you may have reached the CPU's limit so there's nothing more than can be done.

by the way, what kind of RAM are you using?

Here are the specs of my PC:

Case: Thermaltake Tsunami case (black) w/window
Mobo: Asus P5AD2 Premium Mobo
PSU: Antec NeoPower 480W PSU
CPU: P4 LGA 775 3.2GHz @ 3.93GHz
CPU Cooler: Thermalright XP-120 w/Delta Fan
RAM: 1Gig Corsair XMS PC5400 675MHz DDR2
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 ZS
Video Card: Connect3D Radeon X800 XT PCI-E
HDDs: 2x 74GB 10000RPM Western Digital Raptor
1x 160GB 7200RPM Samsung SP1604N
Optical Drive: NEC ND-3500A 16X DL DVD±RW
Fan Controller: Super Flower Fan Master
HDD Cooler: Vantec Vortex

I think you might have hit the max of the chip. If more voltage doenst help you get higher, then i woudl say so. My 3.4 wont hit 4 either. its maxin out @ 3.82 when I go higher even with more voltage its still not 100% stable

kenpomasta said:
I think you might have hit the max of the chip. If more voltage doenst help you get higher, then i woudl say so. My 3.4 wont hit 4 either. its maxin out @ 3.82 when I go higher even with more voltage its still not 100% stable

I see. Thanks for your help.

Bah! I had to clock it down to 3.85GHz for it to 100% stable. At 3.93GHz it was almost 100% stable, the only problem I encountered was that sometimes when I turned on my PC my LAN port didn't work. I had to either reinstall it or reboot my PC. Oh well, 3.85GHz is still a good OC. I'll probably won't even notice the difference.

kenpomasta said:

Oh man that sucks! My 3.2E D0 maxes out at 3.82 as well. I can hit 4.0 but I'm unstable during futuremark 2k5 cpu cycle.

I guess that there's no reason for me to pick up a 3.4E. I was interested in breaking the 4.0Ghz wall. *sigh*

Im WCin my CPU also, so heat isnt a problem. Ive treid everything.. My 3.4 just will not stay stable @ 4.0 :( I really wanted atleast 4 out of it. Ive tried even max Vcore for my board whcih is 1.73 gives me about 1.63 under load.. and its not 100% stable in games. I can prime it all day long... so i think i just hit the max of this chip. I know a lot of people that have this chip a lot higher. i coudl have just got a dud. damn intel hehe.

kenpomasta said:
Im WCin my CPU also, so heat isnt a problem. Ive treid everything.. My 3.4 just will not stay stable @ 4.0 :( I really wanted atleast 4 out of it. Ive tried even max Vcore for my board whcih is 1.73 gives me about 1.63 under load.. and its not 100% stable in games. I can prime it all day long... so i think i just hit the max of this chip. I know a lot of people that have this chip a lot higher. i coudl have just got a dud. damn intel hehe.

I have a similar combo, AS8 with an Intel 550 from the retail edge program. I have a good watercooling setup, and I can hit 4 prime stable, (max screenie 4.44) but it takes about 1.66v in the bios, or 1.55 actual underload. At that speed, the temps are fairly high, I can hit 60c under load (it's hot in my room) So now I have it 3.85, which is the highest I can go on stock voltage. Never seems to get over 50c under load. It's amazing how much heat these prescotts can put out when you raise the voltage.

It does much better on a cool nights. I'm thinking I'll ditch my old compusa brand 550 watt for a real 500 watt powersupply and build a water chiller. I figure that will be good to 4.25 GHz prime stable, which along with my AGP X800 XT should be enough to last me until the AMD DDR2 dual cores come out.

I can prime my chip @ 4.0 all day long. never touches 50C with 1.5 Vcore under load.. which i need to select 1.63, however as soon as i try to play a game it crashes on me. I have selected 1.73 Vcore which gives me about 1.58-1.6 underload and i still barely hit 50C @ 4.0 and its still not game stable.

Sounds more like a chipset or RAM problem. Which Prime torture test do you run? Have you tried running more voltage through the northbridge?

corsiar pc4000 mem.. I have them getting 2.8V, and the chipset is set @ 1.65.

Was running this rig @ 225x11 on air for a long time. so the chipset can handle it along with ram.

Ive been running the in place large FFT torture on it.

However a lot of 3.4s that hit 4.0 without much trouble with just water. so I hope MakubexGB if u get one that you have great luck with it.

Note that I have a P4 540 3.2, not a 3.4. I have thought of WC but I travel with my PC now and then, and I don't want to cause a leak with all the banging and moving around. Besides, I really don't think is a heating problem yet. The CPU could sometimes reach 60C with no problems before I got the XP-120 and the Delta fans. Now I have it OCed to 3.85GHz and I still haven't reached 60C yet, in fact it rarely goes over 55C, and my room is pretty hot. But then again I haven't taken the voltage too high.

Nice OC on air

___

Off topic comment: PLEASE For the love of all thats holy... Cable management :)

___

USMC2Hard4U said:
Nice OC on air

___

Off topic comment: PLEASE For the love of all thats holy... Cable management :)

___

LoL, believe me, with all the cables I have in there, it's pretty clean. You won't believe how many cables I have that you can't see. Will all the fans, temperature probes, all the ports on the top of the case (2xUSB, firewire and audio), HDDs, etc. I would take all the cables out and take a pic for you just for laughs, but is too troublesome to hide them all again. Btw, note that the cable you see unplugged hanging by the HDD cage connects to the side panel fan. Since I removed the side panel for the pic, I left it hanging there. :D

MakubexGB said:
LoL, believe me, with all the cables I have in there, it's pretty clean. You won't believe how many cables I have that you can't see. Will all the fans, temperature probes, all the ports on the top of the case (2xUSB, firewire and audio), HDDs, etc. I would take all the cables out and take a pic for you just for laughs, but is too troublesome to hide them all again. Btw, note that the cable you see unplugged hanging by the HDD cage connects to the side panel fan. Since I removed the side panel for the pic, I left it hanging there. :D

Still it could be alot cleaner. Although your case isn't very large inside. That does make a difference I know.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Still it could be alot cleaner. Although your case isn't very large inside. That does make a difference I know.

Not much more I can do, really. Believe me, I've tried. I could maybe tie up the red SATA cables, hide a bit more the PCI-E power cable and hide the cable of the lower Delta Fan, but that's it. If you have any ideas, please let me know. I would also like for it to look cleaner.

trust me there is more you can do i have the same case with more stuff than you and it looks cleaner.

there is a cavity behind the 3.5 inch drive and the hd rack you can use to shove cables in.

give it a try.

KaptainBlaZzed said:
trust me there is more you can do i have the same case with more stuff than you and it looks cleaner.

there is a cavity behind the 3.5 inch drive and the hd rack you can use to shove cables in.

give it a try.

Yeah, that will make the bottom part look cleaner. But the bottom part I already mentioned in my last post when I said:
"I could maybe tie up the red SATA cables, hide a bit more the PCI-E power cable and hide the cable of the lower Delta Fan, but that's it."
I know I make that part cleaner. Where I really need help is in the upper area. Any idea for that part? I'm stumped there.

Btw, I'm just curious, what do you have in your case? How much more stuff did you fit in there?

I too am in this boat. I have a 3.0 and i got 3.85 out of it with the old psu. then i got an Enermax and i was able to get it to 3.9 and havn't tried it past that yet.

I am watercooled and i never see above 50ºC either unless my room is hot. I too badly want that 4.0ghz stable, but the odds are looking bad. but 900Mhz O/C is not bad at all really.

Qveon said:
I too am in this boat. I have a 3.0 and i got 3.85 out of it with the old psu. then i got an Enermax and i was able to get it to 3.9 and havn't tried it past that yet.

I am watercooled and i never see above 50ºC either unless my room is hot. I too badly want that 4.0ghz stable, but the odds are looking bad. but 900Mhz O/C is not bad at all really.

Looks like this is not a boat anymore... it's becoming a ship! What mobo do you have?

MakubexGB said:
Looks like this is not a boat anymore... it's becoming a ship! What mobo do you have?
A-Bit AA8XE with newest bios
P4 530J
1 GB of OCZ 533 DDR2
Powercolor X800 Vivo
74gb Raptor
Enermax Coolergiant 380W
All watercooled

forgive me for butting in and if im wrong but the 540's arent the overclockers... the 560's and 570's are the ones that overclock.

your at the limit of either your ram or cpu. frankly that corsair is, well,,, ok i'll say it,, junk,, ive never liked one single thing about corsair cuz for every model they put out someone put one out cheaper and better performing and better overclocking. so.. who knows.. dont forget ddr2 until just recently was very loose timings.

anywho those 540's from what i know of them arent the overclockers like the 560's and 570's are. may want to upgrade. the 560j's and 70j's will run 4.5ghz without blink, and 5ghz is highly possibly on alot of them.

there's a long way to go with that entanglement.. maybe not enough places to hide shit in his case..

Alright! I got my P4 3.2 to a stable 3.91GHz (FSB = 244, Multiplier = 16). I still can't hit a stable 4GHz tho. By the way, I organized my cables a little better. I tried, but like I said, there's not much I can do about it. Unlike what Deftones said, I do have space to hide shit, but just because I have it doesn't mean my cables can be hidden there.

P.S. Look carefully and you can see that that's not the same video card as before. This is my new X850 XT. I'm selling my X800 XT PCI-E, here's a link to my "For Sale" thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=875078

untangled0021yl.jpg

i held a room fan over my case blowing below freezing air into my case (i do have watercooling) and I got my prescott on 478 to 4.15 stable at 1.6 volts. My firm belief is the mosfets were too hot to hold 4.0 100% stable, I've since added 4 40mm's push/pulling over them, which hasn't given me the ability to run 4.0 stable, but 3.9 is. This is an IC7-max3. It feels like the chip is willing but the board is weak around 250(251 is about the best I can do...)

Yeah, your mosfets could be killing you, and Asus always uses the smallest chipset heatsinks they can find, so maybe get a fan blowing over that? Otherwise, I think youre at the end of your road, unless you want to trying increasing voltages some more.

Try dropping a better fan on there. 40C at idle is not going to help you in your quest for 4GHz.

mwarps said:
Try dropping a better fan on there. 40C at idle is not going to help you in your quest for 4GHz.

A better fan?! That's a 3 blade High Speed Delta Fan. It pushes 141CFM!
Remember that this CPU is a Prescott. I'm doing 40C with the fan on almost it's lowest speed and the processor OCed to a stable 3.9GHz. I really don't think heat is the reason I can't overclock 0.1GHz.

PS. I live in the tropical and hot island of Puerto Rico, I think these fans are doing a pretty good job considering my room temperatures.

Back