Help Me Mod My Notebook Keyboard (If Possible)

Xaeon

Limp Gawd
I have a Dell 600m notebook. Recently my brother spilled coke into the keyboard and wrecked it (or so I thought). So I called up Dell and thankfully the keyboard was covered under my complete care warranty. It was also fortunate that the coke did not hit any of the internals, there was a little bit on some metal shielding that I was able to easily clean off with some warm water and a cloth.

So yesterday I got a replacement keyboard from Dell. Only took from Friday night to Tuesday, less than 2 business days. I like Dell's customer service. But I digress.

After I replaced the keyboard, I got a little curious about the old one. Since it was now basically scrap I decided to open it up and find out exactly why it wasn't working right.

keybottom.jpg

It turns out these little plastic hinges were causing the problem. I simply removed the offending keys, tossed them in a jar with some dish soap, shook them around, and voila, they were good again.

I then reinserted the keys into their slots, of which an example is below.

keyinsert.jpg

As you can see, there is still a little bit of coke left in there, but not enough to affect performance.

-------------------------------------------

So here I am with 2 working keyboards. Obviously I don't want to let one just sit around collecting dust. I was wondering if anyone new anything I could do to mod this to allow me to use it with a regular computer, be it through USB or whatever.

Here is a picture of the connector for the keyboard.

keyboardconnector.jpg

The top has 5 connectors, the bottom has 25. Sorry if the picture quality is poor, it took me 6 tries to get one this good.

Here is a picture of the whole keyboard.

keyboard.jpg

It is quite compact and has a nice tactile feel. I would love to be able to make a small case for it and use it for miscellaneous stuff such as lanning. Its so light and I've found it to work well for gaming.

Any help you can give me on how to mod this to use with my desktop would be great. As in the title, I'm not sure if it is possible, but it sure would be nice.

I need info mostly on the connectors, maybe a reference picture on the function of all the pins, how to mod it to a connector my pc will accept, that sort of thing.

Regards,
Xaeon

PS: Sorry if anyone has a problem with the picture quality. It's very tough to photograph such small objects well. If any of the pics are too large, just let me know.

If anyone could even tell me if this is possible at all, please let me know.
Thanks.

If you don't know what to do with it, I'll buy your left control key from you...My eMachines has a Fn key next to the half sized control key...which makes it kind of annoying when playing games or using cut/paste. I was hoping to mod my keyboard by removing both my control and Fn keys, and replacing it with just one key that would only push down the control button.

lol dell does not make you send the old keyboard back?

they normally do this for replacement parts.

and if you spilled coke on your internals that is also covered in complete care warenteee!

complete care PWNS! it saved me 6 times and got me a new laptop :D

Back