Help me hack into my old hard drive...

AceTKK

Gawd
I recently bought a new HD and installed windowsXP. I hooked up my old HD as a slave in order to copy over some large files from it. The problem is that I'm not able to access the Documents and Settings/Michael folder where all my files are saved. I get a message saying that it's not accessible, access is denied. I'm assuming the problem is that I had a password for my account on my old hard drive. How can I hack into the folder?

Thanks,

-Ace-

Just gonna warn you now:
Using the term "hack" isn't going to get you a lot of support here :D

Look into "taking ownership of NTFS files" on Google. Should point you in the right direction.

As long as it wasnt encrypted all you need to do it take ownership of the files. You can do this by right clicking on the file/folder, click security, click advanced, click the owner tab and add yourself to the list.

Meh, hack is a loose term... I hack around on the computer all day, but I'm not hacking. ;)

CokeFiend has the asnwer and gets a cookie. :D

Cokefiend, when I right-click on the folder that I can't get into I see an option called "Security and Settings" is that it? When I click on advanced there isn't anything about "ownership". What am I doing wrong?

-Ace-

Right-click, properties, then security, advanced...

*takes cookie away from CokeFiend* none for you!

Make sure you have simple file sharing turned off first.

My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing"

Is this only for XP Pro? Because I have Home, and I dont have an option to unclick Simple File Sharing.

I went into safe mood, right clicked the folder I needed, and set permissions to access for all users. But it still tells me its denied.

What else can I do?

CokeFiend I just noticed your name on the HardFolding roster bc I just passed ya ;) Get back to folding, whatcha waiting for :cool:

Hacking so long as it has to do with your own stuff is perfectly fine, and extremely educational!

I did have to turn off simple fire sharing mode, thanks for the tip. From what I've found XP home does not have simple sharing mode (or it's disabled by default). Everything is working great now, thanks guys!

-Ace-

Back