Help me [H]ardforum, you're my only hope

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
I need a mouse, and I need it to be good on the first or second try. I'm sick and tired of buying mice that I use for 15 seconds and throw on the shelf because I don't like them.

I was a long-time (10 years) MX518 user. I prefer around 1300-1500 DPI. I have a fingertip grip and do not like large mice. Currently I'm using a Roccat Kone, but it has only lasted about 8 months and it already having trouble with the click buttons not responding so I don't want to get a second one.

Mice I have tried within the last few months:

*Note: bigness refers to the height of the back of the mouse in the following hyperbole

G400s- bought for 518 shape. Sensor sucks IMO, finish makes my hand sweat, kept as a backup.
G900 - retardedly huge, too much crap on it, wireless is meh.
G403 - the size of a small mountain, only shaq could grip this thing comfortably, slides on cloth like its got duct tape for skates.
G302 - this was actually too flat for me, the shape was just extremely strange and made my hand cramp.
G Pro(?) - if the name is correct, it was too big as well.
Nixeus whatever with the 3360 sensor - OK, still on the large side and the build quality was horrible. Cable fell out of it, rattled constantly, only worked in USB 3.0 ports.
Razer Deathadder- stupid name, about as long as an actual snake, extremely uncomfortable to use, razer software can get bent.

Things I don't need:
- 97 buttons.
- Removable parts or weights.
- Stupid software.
- Enough LED's to light Manhattan.
- OMGWTFBBQ 900 kabillion DPI holy shit this thing can see at the subatomic level WEW LAD.

So the moral of the story is, I suck at choosing mice and I need a new one. I like the size of the Kone, but I'm not sold on its build quality after having problems with it so soon. Does anyone have a small-ish fingertip grip mouse suggestion for me? It'd be great if there were still brick and mortar stores that sold mice so I could go and feel some up before buying it, but all I can do now is just try and take a guess based on online pictures.

Logitech G502? I have a mouse fetish and buy a new one every 6 months or so and switch between them all the time but the one I go back to most often and use for the longest periods is the G502. I don't consider it perfect shaped, the DeathAdder would be that but it's still pretty good. The sensor however is the best on the market at least out of the ones I've used and owned. The thing is literally surgical. Solid software and while the "G" lights up, you can turn it off in the software pretty easy.

Logitech G502? I have a mouse fetish and buy a new one every 6 months or so and switch between them all the time but the one I go back to most often and use for the longest periods is the G502. I don't consider it perfect shaped, the DeathAdder would be that but it's still pretty good. The sensor however is the best on the market at least out of the ones I've used and owned. The thing is literally surgical. Solid software and while the "G" lights up, you can turn it off in the software pretty easy.

Hey, I recognize that mouse! I tried that one too, I don't remember what I didn't like about it though which is probably why I forgot to put it in the list. I think I actually sold it on this forum when I decided to get rid of it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Zowie FK2 and Zowie EC2-A in particular are small, minimalist mice with no software (one the selling points is no driver), but the problem is without software you aren't going to have fine DPI adjustments allowing for the unknown range you want (common DPI increments would be 400, 800, 1600, 3200. With maybe some intermediates like 1200).

Also is it really size that is the issue? The MX518 was not a small mouse.

You probably thought the G502 was too big and heavy. The smallest "gaming" mice from Logitech are current the G Pro/G102, G302/303, G300s and G100s. All the others would be classified as big.

Try buying from a place with free returns?

Last edited:
To replace my Logitech G5 I purchased a Razer Orboros. Worst. Mouse. Ever.
The G5 was a great mouse but it suffered from a critical weakness, the cable had no stress relief. I repaired it, created a DIY stress boot for it and gave it to my wife about 5 years ago, she is still using it.

Anyway, I took my Orboros back and got two Logitech G700s for more or less the same price. They are very difficult to find now but IMO it is better than Logitech's current offerings. I had to replace the one on my gaming PC and found only two left in the country, they are mine now, I'm leaving one in the box for that fateful day when another one gives up the ghost.

Good luck on your hunt.

Maybe you should look at "travel mice". Razer makes one that supports both wired and wireless called the "Razer Orochi". It's very small and designed to be held in the finger tips. I don't normally buy Razer products but this one works well for me, on the go. But I use a Logitech G502 at home and at work, I keep buying mice in the Mouseman\G5 series shape because they fit my large hands so your mileage may vary.

Maybe you should look at "travel mice". Razer makes one that supports both wired and wireless called the "Razer Orochi". It's very small and designed to be held in the finger tips. I don't normally buy Razer products but this one works well for me, on the go. But I use a Logitech G502 at home and at work, I keep buying mice in the Mouseman\G5 series shape because they fit my large hands so your mileage may vary.

The Orochi is tiny, I wear size Lg gloves and can't use it long term. I use finger tip grip on normal mice.

I'm in a similar spot OP. I'm looking for a permanent replacement for the G9x slim grip mouse. I found a nearly perfect successor in the Dell Alienware TactX mouse, but wouldn't you know that literally a month after buying a used one they discontinue that as well. I haven't gotten into trying the Zowie offerings yet, they look too symmetrical which has never worked for me. They are really well rated though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, some of these I've never heard of so I'll get to looking at them.

Zowie FK2 and Zowie EC2-A in particular are small, minimalist mice with no software (one the selling points is no driver), but the problem is without software you aren't going to have fine DPI adjustments allowing for the unknown range you want (common DPI increments would be 400, 800, 1600, 3200. With maybe some intermediates like 1200).

Also is it really size that is the issue? The MX518 was not a small mouse.

You probably thought the G502 was too big and heavy. The smallest "gaming" mice from Logitech are current the G Pro/G102, G302/303, G300s and G100s. All the others would be classified as big.

Try buying from a place with free returns?

That sounds like a good bet, I like minimalist for mice and 1600DPI should be about perfect. Size was the problem but its hard to describe what I mean by it without drawing a picture, the 518 shape is big but it isn't sloped towards the buttons heavily like a lot of the other ones so it was still comfortable to use.

Back