Help me get DXVA hardware acceleration working properly in Windows 7

_cashel

[H]ard|Gawd
I just put together a new build with these parts:

Asus M3N78-VM (using latest nforce 15.26 drivers)
2x2gb PC6400 ram
AMD 4850E
I've got this running on windows 7 x86 (but if I could get it working on x64, I'd like that)

I followed the HD encoding guide and if I go to the properties of some files on MPC Home Cinema, DXVA is definitely enabled, and cpu usage is minimal, but playback sucks. The video is very choppy and jittery. It's even worse in Mediaportal where the file will skip major chunks of frames and barely even play.

Here's what I've done:
I've gone through the guide here, I've installed the vista 32 bit codec pack from sharky, and I did a similar guide/codec pack for Mediaportal (uninstalling/reformatting between doing all of this).

Right now I've only got the MPCvideodec.ax file registered, I've increased the merit on it through Radlight and I deleted the Microsoft DTV-DVD codec files. After deleting the Microsoft codecs, if I open a file up in graphedit I get an error saying some streams are unsupported, and it only shows the audio stream going through MPC audio. Why isn't it using the MPCvideodec.ax codec for video, it's like it's still stuck on trying to use the Microsoft ones.

What application are you trying to play back the files in? If its a microsoft application (Media Center/Media Player) then you will have to rely on Microsofts codecs, as directshow (which is what all previous codecs use) has been superseeded by Media Foundation (i think thats the name). Media Foundation filters (only MS at the moment has any) have the highest merit, then it will fallback to Directshow filters. There is a way to work around it involving the registry i think.

However apps like MPC should still use there own filters, so should be ok.

When I'm not using Mediaportal (and it's internal players) I'm using MPC Home Cinema

edit: like I said if I right click on the file in MPC and go to the codec properties, it shows DXVA is enabled, but playback is crap no matter where it's played, and for some reason graphedit makes it look like the file is still trying to use the Microsoft codecs with that unsupported stream message after deleting them

deleted the Microsoft DTV-DVD codec files
Doh.

No need for codec packs either, especially on Windows 7. Windows 7's decoders support DXVA better than MPC-HC does (DXVA-HD vs DXVA). Try giving that a shot with the native decoders.

If all else fails, update your build of MPC-HC to something post r1050.

Weird, I haven't done anything but let the computer go to sleep for an hour or so and wake back up and now the files play smooth in MPC and Mediaportal. I'm still not totally convinced everything is fine though because of the whole graphedit thing.

I just deleted the Microsoft codecs earlier this morning, I'd been toying around with them before and they weren't working with DXVA, I was getting CPU usage around 40-50%. I also haven't installed any codec packs since my last reformat, which was a day or two ago.

Simple solution if it happens again, dont use DXVA. It isnt needed if you have a decent modern CPU.
It gives no benefit other than reducing CPU usage so unless you need the CPU for something else, you may as well use the CPU.
There are no quality benefits using DXVA.

A HTPC with a low power CPU will find DXVA handy.

Is it just one file, or everything you play? It could just very well be that what you are playing was encoded badly, or is hurt by a bug in mpc's codec. Try it with core, or Divx 7, and try it in ffdshow (with both the standard decoder and mt to verify. If its jerky in ffdshow, but not core/divx then its likely a bug in the decoder.

do you have cool n quiet enabled? i had terrible plackback with my brisbane + cool n quiet. turn it off it should be good to go.

I do have cool n quiet enabled, so I'll try playing around with that and see what happens. For now, I've got Windows 7 RC1 installed and everything seems to be working ok for the most part. The only issue I have now is with audio. I've got a toslink cable connected from the rear of the motherboard to my receiver, but I've got no sound whatsoever. I haven't installed any drivers other than what was on windows update for the nforce 8200 boards. Right now I'm running the windows 7 32 + 64bit codec packs from shark007, with complete default settings.

edit: When I go to Windows sound properties, I've got 2 Digital Audio (HDMI) devices (with TV icons, NOT speakers), and the "Speakers" device (with the speakers icon) is grayed out and listed as not plugged in, and changing which device is default doesn't do a thing.
soundproperties.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same problem and google takes me to this post, so I figure other people will end up here. First I tried on my desktop with an 8800 and it didn't work. My guess is that the 8800 doesn't support DXVA because they designed the card to be paired with a powerful dual or quad core processor which can handle the decoding anyway. Then I tried with a laptop with an 8600m. Followed the guide exactly, but it didn't work until I downloaded the most recent 185 drivers from the nvidia website. The Prerelease - WDDM 1.1 that download automatically through windows update don't work. I didn't have to download any codec packs or anything extra, just followed the guide and updated drivers.

I had the same problem and google takes me to this post, so I figure other people will end up here. First I tried on my desktop with an 8800 and it didn't work. My guess is that the 8800 doesn't support DXVA because they designed the card to be paired with a powerful dual or quad core processor which can handle the decoding anyway. Then I tried with a laptop with an 8600m. Followed the guide exactly, but it didn't work until I downloaded the most recent 185 drivers from the nvidia website. The Prerelease - WDDM 1.1 that download automatically through windows update don't work. I didn't have to download any codec packs or anything extra, just followed the guide and updated drivers.

what cpu are you using?

The desktop has a core 2 quad. The laptop has a 2.5 ghz core 2 duo.

About the 8800, I very seriously doubt it does in windows 7, but don't ask me why that is. I tried the guide on these forums, one from another website (which also purported to work on windows 7), and using the internal filters in mpc-hc. I even tried creating new partitions to make sure there wasn't some stupid conflict with codec packs or anything like that. I gave up out of frustration until I got my hands on my gfs mac book pro (with win 7 installed on the second partition of course) and the guide worked like a charm.

About the 8800, I very seriously doubt it does in windows 7

The 8800GT and 8800 GTS 512, should both support DXVA as they both have the VideoProcessing chip, however the original 640MB and 320MB cards that were first released do not and will not be able to do DXVA at all.

I'm using Windows 7 x64 beta right now. Drop all the bullshit codec packs and follow the guide I wrote in the sticky.

I'll make it even easier to understand and repeat it in this thread:

1. Reformat.
2. Install Windows 7.
3. Install proper drivers.
4. Drop MPC-HC onto desktop.
5. Go to Output Settings in MPC-HC.
6. Set it to the EVR renderer output.
7. Open a DXVA compatible video and it plays with DXVA hardware acceleration.

The 8800GT and 8800 GTS 512, should both support DXVA as they both have the VideoProcessing chip, however the original 640MB and 320MB cards that were first released do not and will not be able to do DXVA at all.

This would probably be the answer. I'm pretty sure my card comes from the older line of chips.

Just check how much video memory your card has.....640/320 and it doesnt support DXVA for h264, any other memory count and it should (i think)

I'm using Windows 7 x64 beta right now. Drop all the bullshit codec packs and follow the guide I wrote in the sticky.

I'll make it even easier to understand and repeat it in this thread:

1. Reformat.
2. Install Windows 7.
3. Install proper drivers.
4. Drop MPC-HC onto desktop.
5. Go to Output Settings in MPC-HC.
6. Set it to the EVR renderer output.
7. Open a DXVA compatible video and it plays with DXVA hardware acceleration.

That never completely worked for me, for whatever reason I had to use the shark007 codec pack which worked fine for me.

Yep, w1retap's 1-7 should have worked, Vista or Win7. I know you mentioned using Shark007's codec pack, but im pretty sure that doesnt include any DXVA decoders.

why not just use the latest ffdshow tryouts? that's the only 'codec pack' i've ever needed for x86.

yea, you're right. everyone should just do everything the way you want things to be done, and no one else should give any input at all. I mean, if they aren't watching shit the way you want them to, they must be doing it wrong.

NeilFarted said:
yea, you're right. everyone should just do everything the way you want things to be done, and no one else should give any input at all. I mean, if they aren't watching shit the way you want them to, they must be doing it wrong.
In case you didn't realize, the thread was about "Help me get DXVA hardware acceleration working properly in Windows 7". You're the one suggesting to do it the wrong way. Stop misleading people, then criticizing those people that are actually giving the correct information. These forums would be a lot more helpful if the disinformation was not spread around like influenza.

In case you didn't realize, the thread was about "Help me get DXVA hardware acceleration working properly in Windows 7". You're the one suggesting to do it the wrong way. Stop misleading people, then criticizing those giving the correct information.
Forever forgive my transgresses against you, oh mighty eternal Oracle of HTPC use.
Forgive my addressing the root problem of the matter - him having trouble playing media files - and not the explicit demands of the need for DXVA, which now that you have pointed out the err of my ways, I'm sure he needs for benchmarking, not any real-world application.

We can only hope to obtain the mastery and robust excellence in all things Media Player Classic that you have, oh great and mighty Guru Deva Ohm. Please try to remember in your infinite wisdom that some of us are lesser beings with only a shred of your experience, and only wish to offer a different viewpoint, wrong though it must be.

For DXVA, you could just register the codec Mpc-Hc uses. Its mpcvideodec, from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170561&package_id=264680&release_id=643760 (for x64). This will enable any DirectShow based player (like Kmplayer, WMP) to use it.

This page (http://nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watching-h264-videos-using-dxva/) is the definitive guide to Dxva under Windows.

I personally find nothing wrong with the shark007 codec packs, they are well put together and don't fuck up your system with unneeded crap.

Forever forgive my transgresses against you, oh mighty eternal Oracle of HTPC use.
Forgive my addressing the root problem of the matter - him having trouble playing media files - and not the explicit demands of the need for DXVA, which now that you have pointed out the err of my ways, I'm sure he needs for benchmarking, not any real-world application.

We can only hope to obtain the mastery and robust excellence in all things Media Player Classic that you have, oh great and mighty Guru Deva Ohm. Please try to remember in your infinite wisdom that some of us are lesser beings with only a shred of your experience, and only wish to offer a different viewpoint, wrong though it must be.
Sit. Thanks.

Can someone help me? I got a problem with my hardware acceleration. I have 2 PC's that have hardware acceleration possible. One is a laptop with Ati Mobility 3410 and other is my desktop with 8800GTX. The 8800GTX plays all videos perfectly but my 3410 renders fansub encodes from dattebayo weird, the Bleach ones. The laptop plays 99% of the stuff I throw at it perfectly, only encodes from dattebayo plays weird. I've set the cpu to disable throttling on the laptop so I don't think it's that.
I don't know H's stance on fansubs so google they're name.

It's it a driver problem?

Haha, I wish we had self solving problems more often. I only get evil, evil problems that are impossible to fix.

Well, the laptop isn't having problems playing the files in vmr9 mode, so it's not the file being corrupt or anything, but the cpu isn't powerful enough to run HD content so I have to switch back and forth. I'm pretty sure it is a driver problem and I was hoping someone else knows of maybe an older driver that doesn't have this issue. I tried 9.3-9.5 and they all do it.

As I've been telling people for what, close to 9 months now, and w1retap so eloquently explained, the only thing anyone needs (aside from having a video card with DXVA capability in the first place (which pretty much everything made in the past 2-3 years is readily capable of) with respect to Windows 7 is a player that respects how Windows 7 handles things, and one of those players - if not the most popular one these days - is Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, aka MPC-HC.

Run MPC-HC with Admin privileges, set the video containers/formats to default to MPC-HC playback, set the Output options to render with EVR (or EVR Custom) and wham, you should be good to go on most anything you can throw at it save for Real Media crap. The reason for Admin privileges is so that the settings stick for sure; after that you won't need to run it in Admin mode again unless you're altering the settings for MPC-HC.

I like that Picard facepalm emoticon too... that's pretty cute. :D

But that's about it: Windows 7 + MPC-HC (and the Output renderer set for EVR/EVR Custom) should play back most anything without breaking a sweat... at least it does on all the hardware I've used for testing.

Is there a way to know that DXVA is working, or does one have to rely on CPU meters?

Is there a way to know that DXVA is working, or does one have to rely on CPU meters?

With recent MPC-HC builds, just glance at the bottom-left of the player, and if DXVA is used, you will see the notice "Playing [DXVA]". If software mode is used, the notice "Playing" with no [DXVA] will be shown.

bbc_planet_earth_from_pole_to_pole_1080p_sample_16ref.png

Does anyone know a source of publically available stress test samples for testing hardware acceleration?

Sorry for reviving a 2 months old topic ...
I followed this thread and made an attempt to get this to work.

I'm not getting the MPC Video Decoder mentioned earlier to use DxVA and I'm also not getting this decoder to work in other players (e.g. KMplayer).
The tool to set the default DSfilters in Win7 did list this codec but it was not on playing back a file on KMplayer and I still lacked DxVA in MPC.

I had no problems playing HD movies on XP using Purevideo and Cyberlink codecs, somehow none of these methods seem to work on Win7.

Any ideas?

Quick and hopefully easy question.

Does W7 Media Center playback use DXVA? Or can it be "persuaded" to?

Back