Help me finish my idea of 20l case

srigi

n00b
Hello,

I'm kind of disappointed by layouts of SFF up there lately. For long time I'm having idea of a new (but not very revolutionary) concept I didn't seen anywhere. Closest to this idea is Raijintek Metis.
Metis case however has lots of compromises and cannot support high-end gaming system without overheating (IMHO). So I downloaded couple of free 3D models and sit for a while at SketchUp (is this a correct tool for prototyping?).

Main features of this concept:

- one full length GPU up to 3+ slot wide
- tower CPU cooler up to 160mm height
- 160mm ATX power supply
- no PCIe riser cable
- 2x 3.5" HDD (system disk is a M.2 drive)

My aim is to have small PC case that support classic GPU/CPU+cooler layout. Center of the idea is optimizing of the airflow in the case. I stop talking, here are the concept images:

PSU should be take fresh air from the front (Raijintek Metis missed this so horribly)
a001_s.jpg

CPU on the other hand will breathe through sidepanel
a002_s.jpg

GPU takes air from top:
a003_s.jpg

There is lots of place for full-length GPU with 3-slot cooler (Palit GTX 1080 GameRock anyone?) and 160mm long PSU with modular connection. Two 3.5" HDDs can be installed. Case can be optimized for ITX as well.

Really rough dimension measuring shows 350 x 200 x 285mm => 20l
Some more images:

Screen_Shot_2016_07_13_at_23_24_43.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016_07_13_at_23_24_58.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016_07_13_at_23_25_34.gif

I would like to see your opinions on this. I would even be more happy to see somebody to grab sketchup 6 file and finish my poor design in proper 3D model.

If those features are all you're looking for, the ncase m1 supports all of that, and with the advancements in SFX power supplies in the past few years there's no reason to use atx power supplies that I can think of. For a single gpu setup, I don't know why you would go with mATX instead of ITX

Yeah, the Metis was really a 'close but no cigar' layout for me. It could have benefitted from having top vents by the graphics card, plus I wanted it to support a 240mm rad but it is just 1 cm too short to support even the smallest ones of that capacity.

I agree with Alexreffand that the NCase M1 is your best bet, if you don't really need a mATX board. It also supports SFX-L power supplies as well, although the cable connectors will be pretty tight with them.

If those features are all you're looking for, the ncase m1 supports all of that, and with the advancements in SFX power supplies in the past few years there's no reason to use atx power supplies that I can think of. For a single gpu setup, I don't know why you would go with mATX instead of ITX

For 4 DIMMs, more board options, better cooling / layout, more socket options (How many X99 ITX are there?) and even SFF (2-slot, 2 cards) SLI (which isn't possible on most ITX boards).

For 4 DIMMs, more board options, better cooling / layout, more socket options (How many X99 ITX are there?) and even SFF (2-slot, 2 cards) SLI (which isn't possible on most ITX boards).
We could talk about the fact that most boards cap out at 64GB (same as the x99e-ITX), or that the m1 supports two 240mm radiators, or that he didn't specify sli as a feature. That discussion, however, would be irrelevant, because we should instead talk about the fact that the proposed layout is almost identical to the silverstone sg10, at only 3L less, which in this size range isn't worth an entirely new case. All of his needs would be met by a case that already exists, is what I'm saying.

We could talk about the fact that most boards cap out at 64GB (same as the x99e-ITX), or that the m1 supports two 240mm radiators, or that he didn't specify sli as a feature. That discussion, however, would be irrelevant, because we should instead talk about the fact that the proposed layout is almost identical to the silverstone sg10, at only 3L less, which in this size range isn't worth an entirely new case. All of his needs would be met by a case that already exists, is what I'm saying.

This is true. Also, with top of the line GPU coolers only needing 2.5Slot (anything else pretty much over kill), and a good CPU cooler does not need 160mm of clearance. And finally, there is no reason to use an ATX PSU if you're talking about a top of the line system, why not limit to SFX-L? There are platinum PSU now, and the Corsair SF600 can reliably put out 600W continuous for not too much over their ATX counterparts.

Also, the Cerebus can do the same thing at 17L. The GTX 1080 and the new Pascal Titan should be fine since they use less power than my damn AMD 290.

Back