HELP ME FIND: Whiteboard/Interactive Display with ability to save

jaypeezee

Gawd
So I was tasked with finding "THE PERFECT SOLUTION" for our needs at work, and I AM NOT the IT guy :facepalm:

We will be replacing a traditional whiteboard that we use frequently. We would like to replace the current white board to a digital display (used in the generic sense) to display videos, power points, docs, etc, WHILE retaining whiteboard capabilities... Touch input is NOT a must - although I understand most will probably come with. We will have a wireless keyboard and mouse on the table to facilitate.

Ideally, we would like our whiteboard notes/drawings saved to a digital format (pdf/jpeg) to be sent out to those who need the info... MAJOR plus if we could use traditional dry-erase markers instead of a specific stylus, however that is not a deal breaker.

Our current solution is ta quick cell phone photograph of the board and emailed/MMS.

Suggestions? ideas?

We acquired some iiyama 86 and 65 inch 4K touchscreens with ability to draw on etc last year at work and were quite pleased for our purposes (slightly different than yours though, mainly for viewing digital material). Think they might cover most of your requirements (except using regular dry erase markers, don't think that's an option). Quite sure you can take screenshots of the originally displayed content plus whatever you drew on top. I do think that in order to draw on something it would take a screenshot of what was going on at that time (i.e. I think you cannot draw live over video while the video kept playing, it would freeze the frame? Might be wrong, it's been a while since I used the screens as I've since transferred elsewhere) That was in Europe though, not sure if they are available anywhere in the States. Maybe this helps?

https://iiyama.com/us_en/products/prolite-te8668mis-b1ag/

We acquired some iiyama 86 and 65 inch 4K touchscreens with ability to draw on etc last year at work and were quite pleased for our purposes (slightly different than yours though, mainly for viewing digital material). Think they might cover most of your requirements (except using regular dry erase markers, don't think that's an option). Quite sure you can take screenshots of the originally displayed content plus whatever you drew on top. I do think that in order to draw on something it would take a screenshot of what was going on at that time (i.e. I think you cannot draw live over video while the video kept playing, it would freeze the frame? Might be wrong, it's been a while since I used the screens as I've since transferred elsewhere) That was in Europe though, not sure if they are available anywhere in the States. Maybe this helps?

https://iiyama.com/us_en/products/prolite-te8668mis-b1ag/

Thanks for that! I've been researching and came across SmartKapp by Smart Board. A traditional white board with exactly what we're looking for, sans display.

It seems theres a projector option with white board, need to research a little more

we have a casio at work, one of the education units, it projects onto a white board, it has an optional "touch" unit and an app that can do what you want, I think.

this literally does not exist for under 10k at least and completely custom if your communal whiteboard is even close to normal meeting room whiteboard size(5ft+ ???). We have several 4ft displays for interactive maps around our headquarters and they are NOT cheap or off the shelf.

this sounds like a joke, or you are being baited into an expensive failure. either that or your company is run by complete morons who have seen minority report too many times and think all tech is magic. you are fucking with us.

edit: there is some interactive projection and you could ask for a demo. i dont know where how great it is now, we were early adopters and it kind of fizzled out as it was more trouble than it was worth. think about this exchange, constantly:

(presenter touches button while screen sharing with finger)
>bubble-type animation goes off, nothing happens

(everyone in room)
"you gotta, no- lightly do it"

(presenter tries again)
"how- did i do it? its it going?"
>more bubbles pop at his finger, nothing happens

(everyone in room)
"no lighter, right.. yep like that)
>screen finally changes

(presenter)
"i thought i did that the first time!"

IT shenanigans ensue. But im guessing its a ton better now. ask for a demo and have your team try it out.

Last edited:
this sounds like a joke, or you are being baited into an expensive failure. either that or your company is run by complete morons who have seen minority report too many times and think all tech is magic. you are fucking with us.

Wait, how do you know where I work o_O

Unfortunately, my admin does not trust in our IT department and routinely looks to me for input... Even though my title is as far away from IT work you can imagine!

I have seen digital whiteboards discontinued at several corporations now, that had them for years.
A much easier solution is use an app on mobile (e.g. Microsoft OneNote on iOS or Android) to take a picture of the Whiteboard and it will deskew (i.e. straighten) white balance adjust and clip just the whiteboard part of the image and paste it into a shared notebook for the group (or personal notebook if you prefer). It also OCRs the text. Plus the whole thing is organized and searchable. You can email the picture out from the app if you want.
Overall this works much better and more consistently than digital whiteboards in the long run, which are an IT nightmare with custom crappy software for the most part. The segment is dying off fast, minus new solutions like the Surface Hub which are quite expensive.

Back