Help me find the right laptop. UltraBook 14-15"

NIZMOZ

2[H]4U
General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1200-1400

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 14-15" UltraPortable
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator. USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? I am mostly open.
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? web browsing, watching videos, maybe some gaming if it can handle an external gpu unit.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both, will take it everyday with me to work and use it at home. May use it to replace my gaming PC that is 4 years old now if it can handle an external GPU.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? COD4, Infinite Warfare, MW3, BF4. Don't want a huge laptop, so only external gpu.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 10+ hours

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online is fine, no need to see it, as long as it has good reviews.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc. Windows 10.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.) 4k Resolution, great quality screen. Some come with OLED now, maybe a possibility.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.) Either, prefer Matte, but I don't mind glossy.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes, don't like them looking dated.

15) When are you buying this laptop? Within the next 2-3 months.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 3-4 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? 256gb SSD or higher

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? No.

I'd like a laptop with a lot of good and useful ports, long battery life, and great screen. Great performance would be nice as well. I had a Surface Pro 4, and got rid of it recently, due to the battery life. I like to have a 2 in 1 style where I can use this laptop in tablet and it supports a PEN as well. Or if this type of machine is not possible, then a laptop is fine. If it can handle it, I would like to maybe use it to replace my 4 year old gaming system and hook it up to my 34" ultrawide dell monitor and use it for some games and stuff. Only if I consider the external GPU for gaming. For basic stuff, without it.

Last edited:
Right now I would say look for any deal for a Razer Blade that has a 1060 in it or you can look at the Dell outlet for an Alienware 13R3 with a 1060. Those 2 should fit in your range.

Right now I would say look for any deal for a Razer Blade that has a 1060 in it or you can look at the Dell outlet for an Alienware 13R3 with a 1060. Those 2 should fit in your range.

I don't think either of those would work for OP because he wants a Ultrabook with 10+ hours of battery life, and apparently game only a a external GPU which will skyrocket the overall price for this setup. Razer Core alone cost me $500, I get max of 5 hours on battery, and there are other computers out there that work okay with the Core like the HP Spectres and apparently the Dell XPS laptops. Unless you factor in the price of an external GPU separately, your budget won't work. I have the Razer Blade with 1060 in it and it cost me $2000 and that was for the FHD screen. A simplified version of OP's list (which I have no suggestion for) would be

1. $1400 budget
  2. 10+ Battery Life
  3. 4K screen
  4. 256 GB+ SSD
Personally if you can sacrifice some on the Battery Life I would get the new Kaby Lake XPS 15. Get a full-blown overview here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-15-2017-9560-7300HQ-Full-HD-Notebook-Review.195668.0.html

But again, the problem is that with a 4K screen you will be looking at it starting at $1600. Also not to mention that with a 4K screen, you will get at least a hour less of battery life. If you are going to do gaming on the screen I wouldn't suggest 4K. Down-graded 1080p resolutions on a 4K screen look shitty.

I personally think you want too much for too little money. I hope somebody can prove me wrong and help OP out.

The price is only for the laptop not the external unit. The external unit was for the future.. I like both the machines you mentioned except the dell xps only has thunderbolt 2 performance in tb3. So it doesn't work well with an external unit.

I don't think either of those would work for OP because he wants a Ultrabook with 10+ hours of battery life, and apparently game only a a external GPU which will skyrocket the overall price for this setup. Razer Core alone cost me $500, I get max of 5 hours on battery, and there are other computers out there that work okay with the Core like the HP Spectres and apparently the Dell XPS laptops. Unless you factor in the price of an external GPU separately, your budget won't work. I have the Razer Blade with 1060 in it and it cost me $2000 and that was for the FHD screen. A simplified version of OP's list (which I have no suggestion for) would be

1. $1400 budget
  2. 10+ Battery Life
  3. 4K screen
  4. 256 GB+ SSD
Personally if you can sacrifice some on the Battery Life I would get the new Kaby Lake XPS 15. Get a full-blown overview here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-15-2017-9560-7300HQ-Full-HD-Notebook-Review.195668.0.html

But again, the problem is that with a 4K screen you will be looking at it starting at $1600. Also not to mention that with a 4K screen, you will get at least a hour less of battery life. If you are going to do gaming on the screen I wouldn't suggest 4K. Down-graded 1080p resolutions on a 4K screen look shitty.

I personally think you want too much for too little money. I hope somebody can prove me wrong and help OP out.

The price is only for the laptop not the external unit. The external unit was for the future.. I like both the machines you mentioned except the dell xps only has thunderbolt 2 performance in tb3. So it doesn't work well with an external unit.

Then, take a look at the Razer Blade Stealth. It will have everything you want; build quality, battery life, price, Razer Core compatibility, however the sacrifice here is the screen size. The screen is 12".

I would also suggest checking this dude's videos out regarding the Core when considering purchasing for either a Blade or for use with another system. He tests some others out too.

Back