Help me find the bad stick!

this would be painstakingly long and tedious, but you can go through memtest with each stick individually. and if you know it's in the 6-7gb range, the error was probably in the 4th stick ;)
however, since you ran it again and got errors everywhere, then ran again and it's fine.. i'm looking to something else being the problem.
full system specs?

slowbiznatch said:
We're testing a quad-Opteron (4x Operton 250) with 16 sticks of 2 GB PC2700 RAM. After running Memtest86 3.2 for a little over 24 hours we discovered 1 error - somewhere in the 6-7 GB range. After rebooting the system and loading Memtest86 again, memtest started to throw errors at every sector tested. Now we have rebooted the system again and Memtest appears to be running fine.

My request is not that you guys determine which stick of memory is bad (there obviously isn't enough information to do this), but to help me find a piece of software that can help locate it more readily than memtest.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas.
Use logic. Divide the numer by two. You get 8 sticks. Test those 8 sticks, if there are errors, that means one of them is bad, if there are none, that means one of the other 8 is bad. Then split the suspected 8 into two again. Test the 4 sticks. If no errors, means other 4 are bad, if there are errors, means these 4 are bad. Split into two's. Test one, if no errors, one of the other two are bad, if there are errors, one of these two are bad. Then test both of those individually and pin down the one with errors. This takes only 4 test runs, as opposed to 16 as Eclipse suggested (if you test all sticks individually)

nice thinking there iddqd.. i definitly didn't think of that :D
one other thing.. mind telling us the specs on that psu? (amperage on each rail)

Question regarding Memtest....

I wanna test my Corsair Value Ram matched pair... How do I get this program, and how do I go about testing my ram? Thanks for all your help... next time I'll fork over the door for good Corsair XMS ram, or OCZ... One of the two...

Just do a search on Google for Memtest x86 and you will find their website.

Novensu

Back