Help me find a shoe-box style case with specific specs

Hi.

I'm wanting to build a micro-ATX build at the beginning of 2012 (or whenever ivy bridge comes out).

I am really fond of the Shoe-Box style case, as in SilverStone SG07 or the Armor A30.
I really want to stay away from tower builds and have more of a LAN box.

Here are the specs that I would like.

1. Shoe-Box/LAN-Box style
  2. 4 expansions slots for potential dual graphics.
  3. USB 3.0 and audio jacks on front, with USB 3.0 Header connection to Mother Board
  4. Space for Full ATX Power supply (to potentially power 2 Graphics cards))
  5. Space for full sized 5.3" optical drive
  6. Space for at least one HDD and one SSD
  7. Headroom for proper cooling like Noctua NH-C14 (i.e. 130 mm clearance) OR space on case for corsair H60
  8. Proper Case ventilation
  9. The Case should look decent

So far I have been unable to find anything with all of these.
I have come close with two cases, but neither are ideal.

Thermaltake Armor A30.

1. :) It is the right style
  2. :) Has 4 expansion slots
  3. :D This case is great as it has 1 USB 3.0 that will leach off of the IO port on the back, but with the help of this in the external 3.5" bay, I would have 3 USB 3.0 ports available on the front.
  4. :) Supports full ATX Power supply
  5. :) Has space for 2 x full sized 5.3" optical drives
  6. :) Space for 2 HDD's and 2SSD's
  7. :mad: Small Headroom for cooler. The best you'll get in is a Scythe Big Shuriken
  8. :confused: The case is not very well ventilated. The top fan is partially blocked by the PSU, the back fans are tiny and the front fan is partially blocked by HDD bay
  9. :D This case looks like a tank, so that is a plus

Lan Gear Da Box 100 Blackheart

1. :) It is the right style
  2. :) Has 4 expansion slots
  3. :mad: Only USB 2.0 and on top of that have heard not happy things about the audio jacks
  5. :) Has space for 1 x full sized 5.3" optical drives
  6. :confused: Space for 2 HDD's OR 4SSD's (I'm not sure on this, I think each 3.5" bay can fit 2 x 2.5" drives if not occupied by a 3.5" drive)... BUT... Saw here that the HDD's stick out and the cables may interfere with the Graphics card
  7. :D Large Headroom for big Coolers, have also seen the Corsair H50 being used in this case
  8. :) The case seems really well ventilated and has lots of room for extra fans
  9. :confused: The case looks OK. Not nearly as cool as the A30, but still a decent looking case

Also, the lan gear case is a lot more expensive than the A30 and is more difficult to get hold of outside the US.(I will be in the UK when building this rig)

So that is what I have come up with. Is there a case that will check all the boxes and will be available in the UK?

The build is only next year, so if you know of a suitable case that is on it's way, that would be great too.

Also I am fairly handy, so don't mind a bit of mod'ing to get it to fit my specs.

Thanks in advance.

Jayd

Last edited:
And as soon as I finished posting this I spot this post

It is about the lian-li PC-V353B becoming available.

I have just looked at it quickly and it seems like it has most of what I'm looking for, except, maybe cpu fan headroom, and general ventilation.
I assume it can fit an ATX PSU.

Anyone know about these things?

If it doesn't have CPU Headroom, would one be able to make some with a dremel?

Had a close look and it seems that if you did cut out place to put a large CPU cooler, then you wouldn't be able to remove the motherboard tray.
So you would have to install the giant cooler in the case... Not impossible, but sounds difficult.

Open to suggestions.

On a related note, does anyone know if the Noctua NH-C14 will fit onto a micro-atx board, specifically the ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z?
If so, that is great as that fan is likely to fit inside the lian-li PC-V353B, and it is one of the best Coolers, so my search could be over.
If it doesn't fit in the case but will fit the board then the top fan can just be removed, thereby drastically reducing the height of the cooler.

**Edit

On second inspection the PC-V353B only supports a CPU cooler height of 105mm, and the NH-C14 in low profile configuration is 105mm.
So it will just fit, but I have to lose 1 CPU fan in the process.

Also the airflow would be messed up if I start pumping the air from the top of the case into the bottom, so that leaves 2 options.

Either, I modify the case with ventilation in both sides and increase the positive pressure of the case by pumping air in from the top as well and allow it to vent out of the sides....
Or.
I can turn the fans on the cooler around to blow upwards, which will increase the airflow in the right direction. (Assuming that the cooler works with air going in both directions)

So, this case also does not seem ideal, but might work.

I'm still open too suggestions though.

Clearance seems to be ok with this cooler on the Board.

Judging by the images on these sites:

http://www.teschke.de/reviews/41/Komponenten/53/CPU-Kuehler/88/Noctua_NH-C14_Topflow_CPU_Kuehler/543/Lautstaerke

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2195826&postcount=29

http://www.dvhardware.net/review/62029

http://img.neoseeker.com/v_image.php?type=article&articleid=2718&image=22

http://img.neoseeker.com/v_image.php?type=article&articleid=2718&image=19

It seems that the cooler will fit, facing the IO Shield or the RAM.

So this is the fan that I would like to use in my LAN Box, so I guess I'm still looking for a case with all the above features and a CPU cooler height allowance of 130 mm.

5A.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Darrella.
I checked out the LIAN LI PC-V354B.
It seems to have really good clearance and lots of space, however it is closer to a mini tower than a LAN box.
I like the cases where the motherboard is on the bottom (which is part of what I meant by LAN box style, but I probably should have said that), so that when you transport it, the components press down and are secure. I would worry about having the huge graphics card wobble and break something on the motherboard in a side mounted case, when it is being transported to LAN's.
Also this case seems to have USB 3.0 off of 2 standard USB 3.0 plugs that need to be routed to the back, which leaves me with none at the back and not able to access the 2 from the MoBo header. I suppose I can get something like this to make the front USB 3.0 access the MoBo header.

But it is mainly the side mounted design that puts me off this case.

Although, if nothing else will work, I may have to come back to it.

Where does one put the 2.5" drives in this case?

I have a V354B case and its a very good case. However, I would not want to lug it around to a Lan Party if that is what the OP has in mind. Its too big for that IMO and fully loaded its somewhat heavy. I know the OP wants a cube but may I suggest looking at the NZXT Vulcan. Its matx and a tower like case but with that built in handle it'd be much easier to carry IMO and it can hold dual GPU cards. Otherwise stick to the SG cube models.

Here is a link for those interested in the Vulcan case. Warning! Its over 140 pages last time I looked at it but its full of really good build ideas and what can be done with the case.

http://www.overclock.net/small-form-factor-systems/774308-official-nzxt-vulcan-owners-club.html

I have a V354B case and its a very good case. However, I would not want to lug it around to a Lan Party if that is what the OP has in mind. Its too big for that IMO and fully loaded its somewhat heavy. I know the OP wants a cube but may I suggest looking at the NZXT Vulcan. Its matx and a tower like case but with that built in handle it'd be much easier to carry IMO and it can hold dual GPU cards. Otherwise stick to the SG cube models.

Here is a link for those interested in the Vulcan case. Warning! Its over 140 pages last time I looked at it but its full of really good build ideas and what can be done with the case.

http://www.overclock.net/small-form-factor-systems/774308-official-nzxt-vulcan-owners-club.html

Thanks Skott, this case does look cool. And you are right, it does seem to be able to house everything.
But, ya, it is too big for what I'm looking for.

I'm thinking of a cube case with a handle strap to use to take it to LAN's.
Thanks for the input though.

You can use an adapter like 3.5" to 2 x 2.5" Bay Converter if the case doesnt include a spot.

Thanks darrella.

You really should get a bag to carry your case. I tried the Gear Grip handle thingy and carrying it that way beats your rig up pretty quickly. I actually had mine break in the airport..............it was not fun. While a solid-mounted handle may not break, you're still going to beat your rig up carrying it around unprotected by a bag and flopping around in your vehicle.

You can relocate the hard drives above the video cards if you wish on the latest version. This was a design/feature recommendation suggested by myself, which was implemented.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1523957

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1508581

I just picked up a 2600K and will see how far I can get her up to with my Cogage Arrow HS.

Good luck trying to find a LanGear case. From everything I have heard their business state side is pretty much non existent. I may be wrong but those are the rumors.

You really should get a bag to carry your case. I tried the Gear Grip handle thingy and carrying it that way beats your rig up pretty quickly. I actually had mine break in the airport..............it was not fun. While a solid-mounted handle may not break, you're still going to beat your rig up carrying it around unprotected by a bag and flopping around in your vehicle.

Ya, I've been looking at case bags, and I think it is a good idea, and easier if I get a cube pc.

Thanks

I think I have found the case I've been looking for.

The NZXT Rogue.

1. :) It is slightly large but is still a cube style LAN box
  2. :) Has 4 Expansion slots (Supports full length Graphics cards)
  3. :) Only has USB 2.0, but with the help of this in the external 3.5" bay, I would have 3 USB 3.0 ports available on the front.
  5. :) Has space for 2 x full sized 5.3" optical drives
  6. :) Space for 4 drives (HDD or SSD)
  7. :D Large headroom for CPU cooler. Could fit almost anything in there.
  8. :) Seems to be well ventilated
  9. :) The case looks cool and has a top window to see inside

:confused: The case seems quite old though and is out of stock at new egg at the moment, So I don't know if I would be able to get my hands on it.

Last edited:
I may be mistaken but didn't NZXT discontinue the Rogue? Its the reason I never mentioned it. I figured they are gone from the market. I may be wrong however. If you do a search here in this section you'll find threads of people using this case for builds. It does hold a lot inside of it.

I may be mistaken but didn't NZXT discontinue the Rogue? Its the reason I never mentioned it. I figured they are gone from the market. I may be wrong however. If you do a search here in this section you'll find threads of people using this case for builds. It does hold a lot inside of it.

Ya, I think you're right, they don't have it on their site anymore.

Darn... This case looked perfect.
Maybe I can get hold of a second hand one when it comes to build time... but not likely. Looks like the search is still on.

Thanks

Jayd

Aw Man!!!
I just spotted the QMicra V2. It's on the tall side, but is still a motherboard at the bottom case and I would seriously considered it, but alas... it too has been discontinued.

Oh wel...

The Qmicra cases are the cadillacs of the SFF cases. I have a V1 model. The V2 is pretty big. Not sure I'd want to lug it around either. Its a super nice case though for desktop builds. The cases you are looking at, Qmicra and the Rogue are at the upper size limits for what is considered SFF. Some people don't think they should be in the SFF category in fact. This is why I often suggest a mATX tower case like the Vulcan. Its fairly easy to tote around with that handle and holds a bunch of things. Some mATX tower cases are easier to carry than the big cube boxes I have discovered. I admit having the mobo to lie horizontally on the bottom is better but the big cubes you are looking at are really big and bulky as far as SFF cases goes.

Anyway, have you checked out ebay? Might be able to snag a Rogue from there. Also there are the Qpack clones. Smaller but hold less unless you mod them.

Thanks.
Ya, the further I get with this search the more I seem to realise what I actually want.

Portability is still a consideration, but not as much as the cube/mobo on bottom design.
I looked at the Vulcan and I honestly am not keen. The motherboard positioning is a big one. And it looks like a normal PC case. I much prefer the cube look. It also doesn't have good dust filtering and the lights are orange...

So my ideal is still a small cube box, but I'd still go for a big cube over a tower.

Ha ha, I know I am picky. But when a person is building something for themselves, they usually are.

Thanks again for your help.

Nothing wrong in being picky. You need what you need. We can only offer ideas and suggestions and hopefully help you find something. :)

Have you looked at the TU200? Its a ITX format SFF case but it holds a fair amount it looks like. Basically it is a Q08 with a handle and minus the top blow hole. Personally, I'd get the Q08 and have the extra fan on top but thats just me. Mod a handle on it or stick it in a bag or buy a harness for it. The TU200 supports GPUs up to 300mm in length(if you remove the bottom hdd cage. Which is about 12". Not sure how big a CPU cooler it will fit. Thats something we're waiting to see from the users still. It just came out on NewEgg the other day. I would think it would take a H50/60 just fine.

Have you looked at the TU200?
Personally, I'd get the Q08 and have the extra fan on top but thats just me.

Thanks. Ya they both look ok. Especially if they could fit an H60/50. But they are Mini-ITX, with only 2 expansion slots and I really want to get 4 expension slots. To potentially expand to SLI/crossfire later.

I have settled on the langear Da Box that I mentioned before for the mean time, but it is going to be tight and no USB 3.0. But it will be on my list for now, until something better comes out.

Any ideas if the side panel USB 2.0 and audio ports on Da Box can be replaced with USB 3.0? using this for the sg07 maybe?

Back