help me find a new monitor

Daemas

Gawd
Coming from this piece of shit, Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP support 300 cd/m2 700:1. It's kinda broken as it won't come out of standby without a miracle and a kick in the stand.

So I'm looking for a new one.
Reqs:
1920x1080+ (pref 1920x1200, but not a deal breaker)
Black Housing
Low response time (GAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG)
Preferably IPS, but TN will do. I didn't really mind the TN panel until I started browsing this forum and I found lagom. I don't do any color work or movies, just Gaming and web browsing.

Now here's the biggest requirment: a dot pitch higher than .282mm. The reason being, I have shitty eyes, and even with contacts/glasses on, i still lean forward like an neckbeard hunchback. Probably 2.5 feet from eyes to panel. I'd like to be able to have my head back against the headrest and not have to hunch forward. So I'm probably looking at having 3-3.5 feet from eyes to panel. What size monitor/pixel pitch that means I need, I do not know (probably 24-26???). But while I was perusing monitors on newegg (just to get some ideas), I came across a few monitors that were all 22 inches, but all had different pixel pitches. How is that possible?

Don't need:
VGA
Webcam
Speakers

I do not have any physical size requirements, it just can't be something absurd like a 30inch LCD. No real budgets constraints either, $400 max though (and it better be either 120hz and/or IPS at that point) It could be either a TV or a monitor.

So far I've found:
NEC EA231WMi: $296. Probably the best thing out there for my needs. But the pixel pitch is .265mm. The response time is also 14ms, ewww.

Anything below 300 on newegg is a 1080 monitor with a lower pixel pitch and everything above 300 is 1200 territory.

well, anyway, thanks in advance for the help guys.

EDIT: I'd also like to be able to buy it from a B&M if possible so I can check it out before I buy.

Since you're after larger pixels you might consider something like a 32" 1080p TV. Then you can get high dot pitch, IPS, and find it in a B&M.

I really like my Dell U2410, and its game mode has very low input lag. 24", 1920x1200

As for the dot pitch problem, have you tried increasing the DPI setting in Windows?

Otherwise if you can wait you might consider something like this: http://www.displayblog.com/2009/01/05/ces-2009-lg-display-27-120hz-lcd-monitor-panel/ 27", 1920x1080, and 120hz. Should be really good for gaming and has a dot pitch of .300mm

What B&M stores do you have locally?

Microcenter, Sears, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc. No Frys or Circuit City.

Since you're after larger pixels you might consider something like a 32" 1080p TV. Then you can get high dot pitch, IPS, and find it in a B&M.

I really like my Dell U2410, and its game mode has very low input lag. 24", 1920x1200

As for the dot pitch problem, have you tried increasing the DPI setting in Windows?

Otherwise if you can wait you might consider something like this: http://www.displayblog.com/2009/01/05/ces-2009-lg-display-27-120hz-lcd-monitor-panel/ 27", 1920x1080, and 120hz. Should be really good for gaming and has a dot pitch of .300mm

I tried raising the DPI, but it doesn't work for all text (some of the text on the front page of HardOCP for instance) and everything looks bold as fuck. It's almost like the screen resolution is 800x600 of something. I was originally going to get the U2410 before i figured out I needed a bigger pitch (I believe the U2410 is like .28something)

Any idea when that LG panel you linked is coming out and for how much?

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-VL260M-...f=sr_1_54?ie=UTF8&s=tv&qid=1268875706&sr=1-54

That's a 26" 1080P, which should have pixels about the right size you are looking for. As with the above poster, 26-32" 1080P televisions with HDMI input should give you fairly large pixels, something close to a black frame and so forth.

What brands of TVs should I be looking for? I know the good stuff at 1000+ (I own a sweet panny plasma), but what are good budget brands?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back