Help me Find a Motherboard

jardows

2[H]4U
I had planned to upgrade my desktop to a Ryzen 3600 with my tax return money. I had planned on purchasing the ASUS Prime X470 Pro, as it had all the features I wanted at a price I could live with. I get my tax return today, and low and behold, no body has stock of the motherboard I want. Getting "Discontinued" or "Out of Stock, no Backorder" messages from all the major vendors. otherwise I'm left with spending far more than the MB is worth and from unknown 3rd party sellers.

So I need some help finding a good replacement motherboard with the features I want.

Here's the features that sold me on the Asus motherboard:
Intel Ethernet
Realtek 1200/1220 audio
USB -C Gen 2 front header
Built-in M.2 heat spreader is nice, but not required

I'd like to find a board that cost close to the same retail price as the X470 Pro - $139. The closest I've found so far is in the $200+ range, and I'd like to avoid that.
Any advice?

If you can hold out a little longer, the 600 series boards will be compatible and should be cheaper.

Have you consider dropping down to say a B450 board? Something like this seems to meet your feature list and also is in the price range you want. Your feature list did not mention better power or PCIe support so the B450 board should be fine. You can also use a storage device with built-in heat sink rather than requiring a motherboard provided one.

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (get the Max version ... can handle up to AMD 3950X), no M.2 heat spreader but then, you can get a Patriot Viper M.2 to solve that

so by "hold out a little longer" you mean some time next year.

like when you call ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte Customer Service and the robo-lady's voice puts you on hold :barefoot:

Last edited:
If you can hold out a little longer, the 600 series boards will be compatible and should be cheaper.

Have you consider dropping down to say a B450 board? Something like this seems to meet your feature list and also is in the price range you want. Your feature list did not mention better power or PCIe support so the B450 board should be fine. You can also use a storage device with built-in heat sink rather than requiring a motherboard provided one.
The ROG Strix B450 was what I had been looking at until I noticed the X470 Pro (and the generous tax return made the extra $20 for the MB not an issue). It lacks the USB 3.2 Gen2 front port connector. If I weren't looking for that, there are lots of MBs that would fit the bill. If there was an add-in card that had a front port connector, that would be an option, but I haven't found any of those yet either.

The ROG Strix B450 was what I had been looking at until I noticed the X470 Pro (and the generous tax return made the extra $20 for the MB not an issue). It lacks the USB 3.2 Gen2 front port connector. If I weren't looking for that, there are lots of MBs that would fit the bill. If there was an add-in card that had a front port connector, that would be an option, but I haven't found any of those yet either.
You could go with the lower cost board with an adapter like this for now, then upgrade when prices come down and sell the 450. Obviously you won't get the full Gen2 speed but at least you can fully cable your case and still have a fast connection.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You could go with the lower cost board with an adapter like this for now, then upgrade when prices come down and sell the 450. Obviously you won't get the full Gen2 speed but at least you can fully cable your case and still have a fast connection.
That could be doable. I'd want to look at one of the motherboard that has 2 USB 3.0 headers, so I wouldn't also lose those front ports. Thanks for the link! Funny thing is, that page showed a "comparable" product from Silverstone, an internal card adding a Gen2 internal header! But at it's current price, I'd be doing better to pay for a more expensive motherboard that already had one installed.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So.. the X570 chipset is the successor to the X470, but as you've seen, prices are a bit higher, though, the "base" level boards should be in the $145-160 range - ASUS Prime X570 Pro, MSI X570-A Pro, GIGABYTE X570 GAMING X would be ones to look at that should be in stock across the internets.

Ninja edit - Getting the Intel NIC might be tough at that price point - I haven't gone searching for it.

get an intel pcie nic. it is what i always do.
DELL X3959
ebay for a 20 dollar bill yo. (single port version is 15$)

Back