Help me eliminate mobsync.exe (Vista)

Sucka

Gawd
Ever since i installed Vegas 7, at startup i get the Windows sync program running. It's trying to sync with mysql which i'm not using, it was installed as a result of Vegas. When i uninstall it, i get an error starting up Vegas, so while it solves one thing, it creates another annoyance. I found a way to supposedly remove it, but none of the steps are valid for Vista. Sure i can kill it after i boot, but i would just assume get rid of it. I can't delete/move the file either, Vista for whatever reason doesn't like that, and my account is the admin account. It's not in msconfig, nor a service so it isn't just as simple as checking a box to eliminate it.

Any help would be great.
Thanks.

mobsync.exe is a program related to syncing mobile devices. strange that it would start showing up after you installed Vegas.

When i click it, it takes me to the Windows sync center, i'm not syncing anything, nor do i have the need to. This is new as of Vegas 7, go figure. I don't think i've ever had a problem like this killing/getting rid of a program, but this one refuses to go away, and Google is no help to me so far :mad:

If you have any services with "windows mobile connectivity" (not exact, I have 2 of them on my computer) try disabling them and see if that solves it.

if not, i dont know what to tell you. it shouldnt be hogging resources so you shouldn't worry about it too much.

Yeah, no such services.

And it isn't a resource hog, just an annoyance i would like to get rid of, if possible.

No one eh? I can't even close the thing, it has to be killed through task manager. Come'on folks it's annoying.

Have you tried using Windows Defender? Open it up and look thru the Startup options or Services running. See if you can kill it completley.

Well i'm currently not using Windows Defender either :p

But even so, would it kill a Windows file like that? This is part of the operating system, but i don't have any idea how to tell it i don't want anything synced.

I should mention, it even starts in safe mode. As the admin i can't move/delete this file at all.

It's not located in msconfig, nor services.msc

I can't delete or move the file, not in safe mode, not in Windows, not as the administrator.

Have you tried the ultimate troubleshooter? I use it to disable/remove tasks-services that do not appear on msconfig. I have XP. Here is the link:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/

click on the blue linky and download the free demo. It gives you ten tries. When I use up the ten tries I uninstall/install and I can use it again. It also recommends what to disable (in red) that's running on the background. Really useful tool for me to keep my background tasks to a minimum. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks, but no such luck.

I also used autoruns to looks for the item, and it doesn't even appear.

This thing is worse than a virus and it's a g'damn Windows file :mad:

It's not obtrusive or anything like that, but it starts without permission, can't be exited, only killed in task manager, it does nothing, and i can't do a darn thing about it. What i want to know is why in the world Vegas would need Microsoft SQL Server 2000 for anyways, that's what it's trying to sync with. When i remove that, i get an error starting up Vegas. No matter what i do here, i'm going to have something annoying me. I would love to just ditch Vegas, but i need it to edit the AVC-HD files from the new camcorder. Probably seems like i'm taking this overboard, but now that i'm set on getting rid of it, i really want to figure this out.

UT did not work?.....wow

Stubborn little critter. Let me think about it some more.

No one eh? I can't find anything online, probably the reason no one here knows :(

I guess i will bow down to mobsync.exe and let it run for no good reason...

And also, when i close the lid to my laptop, the program restarts itself. Not after sleeping, or hibernating or anything like that, it just up and starts itself back up. This program is worse than a virus and impossible to get rid of!

Well, I have the same issue. Well, except for the fact that I have a Windows Mobile 5 smart phone.

I rarely connect it to the PC, and would prefer to manually start the service only when I need it, vs it always starting on its own.

I thought I was on to something when I realized a lot of things are started with the Task Sceduler (an .msc plugin for the MMC). I found all sorts of crap that was all being missed by Windows Defender in the Task Scheduler. Not this Mobsync thing, however. Too bad.

being that i dont use it, im kinda shooting in the dark here, but what about going into control panel (classic view) and looking at the synce center from there, what sort of options does it give you (again, i have nothing to sync so i have no idea what would normally be here.. )

being that i dont use it, im kinda shooting in the dark here, but what about going into control panel (classic view) and looking at the synce center from there, what sort of options does it give you (again, i have nothing to sync so i have no idea what would normally be here.. )

Yeah, that is where I started. No available option for disabling the service, or even just the tray icon. Sad.

In Windows Vista:

Go to Control Panel->Offline Files and click on "Disable Offline Files".

I think you need to reboot but when you have done so, the Sync Center icon should be gone from the SysTray and the process should be absent from the task list.

Ever since i installed Vegas 7, at startup i get the Windows sync program running. It's trying to sync with mysql which i'm not using, it was installed as a result of Vegas. When i uninstall it, i get an error starting up Vegas, so while it solves one thing, it creates another annoyance. I found a way to supposedly remove it, but none of the steps are valid for Vista. Sure i can kill it after i boot, but i would just assume get rid of it. I can't delete/move the file either, Vista for whatever reason doesn't like that, and my account is the admin account. It's not in msconfig, nor a service so it isn't just as simple as checking a box to eliminate it.

Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Try this free app.
http://winpatrol.com/

I used it to disable a few services that I didn't want running at startup. Very nice little app.

Sorry I am in a bit of a hurry right now so I don't have time to finish this thread, so what I am about to say may be covered or I may be way off.

As pointed out mobsync.exe is a program related to syncing mobile devices.

You just pointed out that you installed Vegas 7 to edit the AVC-HD files from your new camcorder. Not sure what is going on that has you thinking mobsync is trying to sync with MS SQL server. But to me it would see mobsync is running to sync with your mobile device in this case your camcorder.

Mobsync!?

We all at some stage have asked the question ‘What the hell is mobsync and how do i disable it?’ and been left scratching your head, especially if your the proud owner of Windows Vista.

Well to be straight with you it annoys me when people give definite answers on how to disable the feature when clearly its not the same as XP, Speculation has lead people to believe its a networking tool for your Internet connection, well almost right but not quite. Then that its windows media player, again its almost there but not quite and finally that its an Microsoft tool for reporting which is a bit stupid to be honest …

Thankfully there is a simpler explanation to the question and an even simpler resolution and it is as follows

What is Mobsync and how can i disable it?

Mobsync is a Microsoft owned tool which enforces group policy for removable mass-storage devices.

It simply enables applications such as Windows Media Player and Image Import Wizard to transfer and synchronize content using removable mass-storage devices. thus allowing you to plug in a USB, External hard drive or even a wireless media center for PS3 or Xbox Elite.

Thankfully it is seriously easy to stop this services from auto running on start up

1. Select ‘Start’ (The ‘Start’ button) and type ‘Services’

2. From the results shown in the ‘Start’ menu select the option called ‘Services’

3. Scroll down the page until you locate a service called ‘Portable Device Enumerator Service’

4. Double click this service

5. On the ‘General’ tab (You should be on this already) half way down the page, change the ‘Startup Type’ to ‘Manual’

6. Select ‘Stop’ which is directly underneath the previous option

7. Now select ‘Apply’

For those with UAC activated select ‘Continue’ however this should now stop mobsync from running at startup and as you have set this service to run manually it will only be used when you actually sync devices on your PC or Laptop.

This will NOT effect any other services on you computer.

So there you have it in a simple nut shell, the actual answer and the actual resolution

Regards

Craig

Back