Help me diagnose a monitor issue. (Overlord Tempest OC)

eddie500

Gawd
My main computer monitor which is an overlord tempest 27". I'm sure some of you remember when they sold these some years back as a 120 HZ IP panel.

The monitor has been a great monitor but I've noticed a problem lately that seems to be happening when I start my monitor.

When I first turn the monitor on I can't see anything in the display except for the very small strip in the top as shown in the picture.

Then the monitor slowly gets better and I start to see a little more on the monitor, I can see images below but they don't seem to refresh.

After about 1 minute the monitor clears up and works 100% as long as I keep it on.

So it seems almost like it needs to warm up, but that doesn't make any sense.

What scares me is that it seems to be taking slightly longer to clear up, so I'm worried my monitor may be on the way out.

I must say monitor works 100% after this initial 1 to 2 minutes after I start it. The 2nd monitor I have connected doesn't have this issue.

Does anyone have an idea about what could be going on?

Thanks, here are the pictures of it.

Image below is when I first turn it on, I can see clearly only in the top 1/2" of monitor.

In the image below, as time goes on I can start to see stuff below, but it is somewhat blurry and doesn't refresh.

Controller issue, likely. Probably needs a BGA reflow, and that's a temporary fix unless you figure out what's getting too hot and put a heatsink and/or fan on it.

This is very common for LM270WQ3* panels when started cold at 120Hz. If your room temperature was higher, you would not see this as much.

There is not a problem with your particular unit, it is perfectly normal. Just let it warm up. If it bothers you that much, using a lower speed (eg: 110Hz instead of 120) will avoid the problem.

Controller issue, likely. Probably needs a BGA reflow, and that's a temporary fix unless you figure out what's getting too hot and put a heatsink and/or fan on it.

Don't go suggesting reflow as a panacea. You will cause people to damage their hardware trying to fix it.

The same goes for the "something is too hot" thing. If you don't know, don't say anything.

The issue in this case is a failure of the gate drivers because they are operated out of specification. It just so happens that this configuraiton normally works for many users in a warm environment, but it does often fail at colder temperatures.

Back