Help me decide on a new server this tax season!

Discussion in 'Virtualized Computing' started by ChRoNo16, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16 [H]ard|Gawd

So as tax season is here. I am looking at options for a new server to replace my HP.

a little info on my current vm server.

HP DL380 G6
    2x Xeon X5650 cpus (Six cores each/12 w/ HT) (24 cores total)
    32gb of ram
    this is the 8x 2.5" drive version

In all, this is an OK server. it runs what I need, but my biggest mistake was not looking at how much 2.5" SAS drives cost.
    I want bigger drives (Most of mine currently are 146gb 10k drives, I want 1-2TB drives.

I just am generally not super stoked about this machine anymore, but one of the things I like is its quiet. I hear my network switch more than I hear this server running.

So heres what Im needing guidance on. I want to beef up what Im doing. Im hoping to do a single server replacement that covers what im doing now, and has some expandability in the future.

Thinking at least as many CPu cores as I have now (Maybe more)
    64gb of ram minimum
    I want a server that can use 3.5" drives, at least 8 or more
    Hopefully a 2-3U server at least (!u servers even when quiet those fans have a whine to them that is just annoying.)

I was kind of hoping to jump to Dell servers. Im just not sure what model is best for me. Someplace between R510 and R720

Saw a youtube video on an R510 that was a 12bay 3.5" version, I just cant find one for less than 1500. and honestly Id like that to be most of my budget for this, im ok spending a little more later to add drives.

I forgot to mention I would like to not be crazy power hungry, but Im realistic and I know im looking at enterprise gear here

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16 [H]ard|Gawd

Also if anyone wants to throw in pictures, videos or information on what they use, that would be cool too.

3. DermicSavage

DermicSavage [H]ard|Gawd

Cisco UCS C240 M3s are really cheap right now on ebay. Will get you up to Sandy/Ivy Bridge chips. The LFF drive variants are pricey though, but the SFF variant has 24 2.5" bays. If you're sticking to small 10K SAS drives, it may be better to get SSDs instead.

I have a DL380 G7 and have been dancing around the idea of getting two of the Ciscos to build a small storage spaces direct cluster.

4. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16 [H]ard|Gawd

I dont want to keep doing 2.5" drives if I can help it, even SSD's get expensive when you need any real sizeable storage.

5. jlbenedict

jlbenedict [H]ard|Gawd

What is the budget ? $1500 ??

6. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16 [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah id say 1500 is the most I want to be into this. but ifg Im going to hit that price right away I hope its full of drives already

7. Putz

Putz I have a custom title

8. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16 [H]ard|Gawd

well Im not in canada, also I would prefer rackmount.