Help me decide - My first LGA3647

wareyore

HDCOTY 2023
I picked up an HP Z6 G4 that came with a Xeon Silver 4108. It's great for letting me set up the system and make sure everything is working, but, it's weak for crunching. I want to swap the CPU.

I saw the HP may accept the second generation scalable CPU's, Xeon x2xx, etc., but the ones I looked at seem pricey compared to the first gen processors. So, I am looking at x1xx series.

I saw an off roadmap Platinum P-8124, but, I see very few motherboards support it. So, I'm leaning heavily toward the Gold 6148 based on cores, clocks and cash, I can get one for $100.

Anyone have experience with these and what would you recommend based on price/performance for DC?

Gold 6148 is a good bet because it is "only" 150 Watt TDP. I don't know what TDP that HP supports, but 150 W limit is common.

According to their spec sheet they can use 205W parts. The top end listed is a Platinum 8180. But, those are like $1000 still.

Reactions: uOpt
like this
I picked up a Gold 6148 for $90. We'll see how it does.
I'm very interested to know the power draw from the wall and the all core turbo frequency when running avx and non-avx workload.

Just started with the new CPU. It's a big upgrade from the Silver. Not a big bump from the 2698v4 in my x99 system, but noticeable. Need some more ram and I'll try to tune it. HP bios is a bit limiting but the physical size is awesome.

The 2630's below the 6148 were thermal throttling as they are on passive HS's and the case I have that system in doesn't have a good fan wall for that type of MB, also picked up here from dbwillis. I had to pull the drive cages and PSU shroud to get in in. I'll likely swap those with the ES chips I got from fx9 and add active cooling to see how they compare.

Xeon Gold.png

Z6
Z6.jpg

Super Micro X10DRG-Q

20230609_153907.jpg

Quick update. I installed the ES CPU's and the active coolers. The original coolers I bought didn't have the bracket included for the narrow socket and Noctua said it'll take 4-6 weeks to get the kit. So, I swapped them for the dual fan NH-U9DX i4's. A little bulkier but they are working well. They are keeping the 2698V3 ES's in the mid to upper 50's versus the thermal throttling experienced using the old coolers on the 2630V4's. So, a nice bump overall.

It's going to run the PG 321's in the challenge next week. Should get a few WU's out of it.

Snipaste_2023-06-14_07-54-04.png

20230614_051806[2890].jpg

Back