Help Me decide.MWF2 or Borderlands

WMF2 or Borderlands (or neither).

• MWF2 - Don't believe the the hate... this is a great game!

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • Borderlands - This RPG/FPS really rocks!

Votes: 107 64.1%
  • They both stink. Very meh.... (please suggest something else if you choose this one).

Votes: 30 18.0%

• Total voters

kilgore777

Gawd
Pretty much what the title says.

I know there are issues with both of these titles, but I am itchin' for something new. I am a huge MWF1 fan, but also a huge Diablo 2 fan (the similarities between Borderlands and D2 intrigue me).

I would love to hear from folks who own both of these titles....

Also, suggesting something else is welcome, but please keep it to FPSes(es).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Definitely not MW2, and especially not on the PC. If you're a console gamer and all you've ever known is stuff like Halo, I guess it wouldn't be so bad. But definitely don't get it for PC.

I haven't heard good things about Borderlands on the PC but I don't have any first hand knowledge. You could try Dragon Age instead, which seems to be pretty good.

Neither, Borderlands looks meh and no respectable PC gamer should be buying MW2.

Does your Diablo 2 fancy also stretch to RPGs? If so get Dragon Age Origins, more hours of singleplayer experience than both the other titles put together even if you rush through.

Borderlands is like Far Cry 2, you are like "WOW THIS IS GREAT!" and a week later you are bored.

Borderlands is like Far Cry 2, you are like "WOW THIS IS GREAT!" and a week later you are bored.

Pretty much. My friends and I were like "sweet!" and after 4-5 nights of casual play it was over. It's a short game, and a rather easy one at that. If you find it somewhere for $20, by all means grab it. It's definitely not a $50-60 game though.

Borderlands is starting to bore me after a few weeks, repetitive, loot whoring, killing the same enemies over and over seen it all. As an online game it is an okay game but I find it really hard finding a suitable game. The comparisions to Far Cry 2 are not misplaced !

MW2 - can't comment as I refuse to buy. IW / Activision can go to hell!

I'd recommend L4D 2, demo was fun and I know what to expect from the game. I've built up a good set of online friends to play with so it should be good.

Last edited:
I'm having tons of fun with Borderlands so far - been playing it for almost a week, just single-player. Should be starting up with MP sometime soon once a few more of my friends get started with it. Awesome old-school FPS action (reminds me alot of serious sam) and just enough RPG to keep it interesting. And there are tons and tons of guns! Vehicles are a little quirky, but you'll get used to them pretty quick. Only thing I had to fix was the FOV hack, and the game is nearly perfect now imo.

Not bored with it yet by any means. I'd say give Borderlands a try.

I'm not buying MW2 untill the price drops by at least half - I don't do consoles, and sounds like MW2 is pretty-much a single-player-only game for PC - absolutely not worth $50-60! Dragon-age does look interesting, but it's certainly no FPS - the combat system looks like pure torture to get used to... I may have to try it anyways eventually.

Thanks for all the votes and replies. I am surprised how well Borderlands (and how poorly MWF2) did in the poll so far. Thus far I am leaning towards Borderlands.

Please keep the feedback coming...

About Dragon Age Origins... it is probably a great game, but not my style.

Borderlands coop is fantastic. It gets really challenging, and the class interactions are fantastic.

If all I had to choose from was these two, definately Borderlands.:)

I've been playing Borderlands, SP for going on two weeks in bits and pieces.
I think it's very fun......and I'm not done yet with my first go-around.
I played CO-OP with my son and his friend and some random people on line and we had a blast.

The game is a bit repetative, but flows along as you level up and so-forth.
I find it a much more enjoyable game compared to FC2, and much less repeated stuff.

I'm also looking forward to LFD2.:D

borderland is fun in general, but the online play is kind of mess up.

the stupid part is the limitation of completion in quest that people cannot complete it again when other people join the same game.

MW2, don't even think about it. Its a 60 dollar with 3-4 hours campaign, and they still have that stupid spawn again. Also the way they handle guns is just look stupid.
Don't even say anything about the online play, its worse than Peggle Extreme.......

My vote is for Borderlands. I agree with the others in terms of the game can be a bit repetitive, but in all, the game really is a blast to play and TBH, the game really comes into its own on the second playthrough, using your high lvl char kitted out with decent gear. It can get really challenging with 4 players if you don't all work as a team. Borderlands has a fun sense of humor and although it isn't to everyones taste, I really like the art direction. Currently I am playing with a level 42 Soldier and having a much more enjoyable / challenging experience the second time through.

I haven't actually played MW2 so I can't make comparisons.

Borderlands is great, the only issue with it is the damn online support. Its only local connects(no dedicated) but the problem they have is, they dont block the servers which dont have open ports. So all the dumb kids who dont know how to open their ports have servers created which you can "click on" but because the ports arnt open, you cannot join.

A few times I have gone through 5-10 fail joins in a row before finding an open game. Also, lastly, because its all local connects similar to MW2, some games are insanely slow and laggy.

This is possibly the most annoying thing in borderlands. Everything else is fun though.

I honestly don't understand why people like Bordelands so much...
It's typically the kind of game that I enjoyed for the first 3 days or so, and then?
It's just like any RPG...kill monsters to get XP and loot...get XP and loot to become better at killing monsters...become better at killing monsters to get more XP and loot...to become better at killing monsters...etc...
The difference is that there is virtually no story...I don't see myself playing Diablo if there was no story...

Honestly I really started to enjoy Borderlands when I started to get some crazy overpowered loot. Its just fun to play.

I honestly don't understand why people like Bordelands so much...
It's typically the kind of game that I enjoyed for the first 3 days or so, and then?
It's just like any RPG...kill monsters to get XP and loot...get XP and loot to become better at killing monsters...become better at killing monsters to get more XP and loot...to become better at killing monsters...etc...
The difference is that there is virtually no story...I don't see myself playing Diablo if there was no story...

Diablo had a story?

Yea, the story compelled me to replay Diablo2 about 50 times. :confused:

Right...I supposed I clearly missed something since I played it only once and enjoyed the story...You obviously had a really good reason (other than the story) to have played it 50 times...not sure what it is, but I can imagine how much fun you're having in borderlands...;)

Right...I supposed I clearly missed something since I played it only once and enjoyed the story...You obviously had a really good reason (other than the story) to have played it 50 times...not sure what it is, but I can imagine how much fun you're having in borderlands...;)

its fun when play with friends.. its like D2, where you kill and loot..

over and over again and play different style everything you play..

if you find borderland not suiting for you, D2 might not be a choice for you too..

but it does get boring if you play by yourself though....;)

All the haters voted for Boderlands, hilarious.

Borderlands is fun, but like other posters have stated, it gets dry after a few weeks. MW2 is a solid SP game and the online is sure to last for a long time.

Borderlands is fun, but like other posters have stated, it gets dry after a few weeks. MW2 is a solid SP game and the online is sure to last for a long time.

solid 4 hours of SP, sweet!

Everyone has their own opinion I suppose. MW2 is fairly noobish. No recoil. Local matchmade servers which will soon be riddled with cheaters/hackers doesnt seem that appealing to me.

solid 4 hours of SP, sweet!

Everyone has their own opinion I suppose. MW2 is fairly noobish. No recoil. Local matchmade servers which will soon be riddled with cheaters/hackers doesnt seem that appealing to me.

yeah the SP is really short...but one should know not to buy a MW series for the SP...
MP is where it's at....wait! what?

But more seriously, although MW2 MP is not as good as it should have been, it's not that bad either...

I haven't and don't plan on trying MW2 so Borderlands all the way. I picked it up last week when I was off of work and played a crap ton of it.

It's just an extremely fun co op game that has lots of addicting elements (items, skill trees, weapon proficiencies, levels) that keep you coming back for more.

Borderlands is a blast for 1 week and has a very nice coop multiplayer.
I guess MW2 is a blast for many weeks in multiplayer if you have not other multiplayer games to play. I prefer BF2142 multiplayer though.

So, my vote goes to Borderlands because it is different from other games. MW2, probably nice but there are so many games like this one out there.

This!

Borderlands was just too easy lvling up. Then just running around the same places to loot. Not so fun..

Borderlands is a blast for 1 week and has a very nice coop multiplayer.
I guess MW2 is a blast for many weeks in multiplayer if you have not other multiplayer games to play. I prefer BF2142 multiplayer though.

So, my vote goes to Borderlands because it is different from other games. MW2, probably nice but there are so many games like this one out there.

MW2 is not a blast for many weeks in multiplayer.

it lags, no reg, no kick/ban, no lean, no dedicated server, stupid Matchmaking system, lots of pirate people on IW.Net, and annoying host migrations that happens continuously.

IW.Net is pretty much a failure, its a pure 360 port with mouse support.

SP is worth a try but not gonna last longer than 4 hours.

but Borderlands keep me in game since it came out, still playing around on Second play through. Pretty fun to play.

This!

Borderlands was just too easy lvling up. Then just running around the same places to loot. Not so fun..

I guess Diablo 2 is not your type either.

MW2 is not a blast for many weeks in multiplayer.

it lags, no reg, no kick/ban, no lean, no dedicated server, stupid Matchmaking system, lots of pirate people on IW.Net, and annoying host migrations that happens continuously.

IW.Net is pretty much a failure, its a pure 360 port with mouse support.

SP is worth a try but not gonna last longer than 4 hours.

I've never had bad lag, I like the matchmaking system (although a lot of PC users won't), I haven't ran into any hackers (about 3.5 hours in MP so far), and I have only had one host migration (when I left the game early and happened to be the host lol). I think that to judge the multiplayer, you've really got to try it for yourself. I have had a great experience with it so far.

Also, singleplayer took me 6.5 hours no hardened and I didn't die much, and I have a few more hours sunk into Spec Ops and I've just scratched the surface of that.

You'll never get an a fair shake with that poll in these waters. MW2 hate for the PC has been spillin' since before it was even released and continues to spam these boards. Of course Borderlands is going to win, I know this without even needing to see the results.

I guess Diablo 2 is not your type either.

Well I didn't exactly the find the best gear in diablo 2 just playing several days. Different with borderlands. Plus the PVP in this game is bad. Once you get thru playthrough 2 what's left? 2.5?

Well I didn't exactly the find the best gear in diablo 2 just playing several days. Different with borderlands. Plus the PVP in this game is bad. Once you get thru playthrough 2 what's left? 2.5?

Diablo 2 have like the most horrible pvp if you trying to compare with it.

and no, Borderlands I have not yet found something call "best" gear since it release, and there is no such thing call "best" in the game, its really depend on what kind of style you want to play.

also there still DLC coming up for it soon ( this month IIRC ) . and it should keep coming for free on PC.

I've been playing Borderlands since release, and I'm still having a lot of fun with it. It has its flaws, but it's an awesome game in my opinion and some of the most fun I've gotten out of a game in a long time.

I've been playing Borderlands since release, and I'm still having a lot of fun with it. It has its flaws, but it's an awesome game in my opinion and some of the most fun I've gotten out of a game in a long time.

This. Borderlands is a must. I played 1st playthrough in 3 sits 8 hours long each. It was fun. This might be the first game in my life I will play again second time. Although I have not made my mind yet.

Torchlight.

I bought Borderlands the day before and everytime I try to play it I quit to play Torchlight for several hours. I just felt Borderlands missed out on being a good game.

It isn't a great shooter, maybe an okay one. It has your classing monster doors even so much that you can usually predict how many come out. The loot I also felt was lacking. There should have been armor and the guns themselves would have been cooler if you actually found parts to assemble yourself like scopes, larger clips, new barrels, silencers, etc. Instead you find guns which might be one point different in one stat but look identical.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is a better game than I expected. It isn't as good as Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, but it is a good game none the less. however I'd wait for a price drop to $39.99 before taking the plunge.

I have an extensive post on the subject here.

Borderlands hands down. Unless you have zero friends and enjoy having Devs force feed you bland broken piece of shit games that have no place on the PC. Then again Borderlands can be putt in that catagory also in some respects. Fuck IW.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is a better game than I expected. It isn't as good as Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, but it is a good game none the less. however I'd wait for a price drop to $39.99 before taking the plunge.

I have an extensive post on the subject here.

Dan - thanks for your response and the review, which was very good - you really know your weapons! Honestly, reading it made me even less likely to get MWF2 any time soon. I would like to get your quick take on Borderlands if you have played that one....

While I know the MWF2 haters are (very) probably skewing the results of the poll, I am suprised by all the negative things I have read from players who actually own the game. I don't want to go on about the negatives, but besides the server issues the thing that really bugs me is the price. I understand that lots of time/money and effort goes into creating a game, but.... the damn Orange Box was $50 when it came out and it had a multitude of great games! $60 is just too much... I feel like I am being gouged.

Thanks again everyone for all the input. :cool:

I am probably going with Borderlands and will sit on my ass for about 6 months to a year to get MWF2. I'll get it after the price goes down and hopefully some of the problems get ironed out.

Back