Help me decide: LSI 1078 vs INTEL IOP348

Which would you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok well those are the same card...they both use the Intel IOP348 processor. The only difference in those two cards is the latter is a low profile card and only have 128mb cache memory whereas the first is standard height and has 256 memory.

And yes you will get more than 100MB/sec on RAID5

Well I would probably go with the LSI because it supports more RAID levels...and I really like the LSI MegaRaid SAS software.

Do you have a Supermicro board to put those in? While they are normal PCI-E 8x, they're not going to fit in a normal case without a Supermicro board (note how the PCB is on the other side of the bracket in relation to say a video card).

Do you have a Supermicro board to put those in? While they are normal PCI-E 8x, they're not going to fit in a normal case without a Supermicro board (note how the PCB is on the other side of the bracket in relation to say a video card).

Yea....but that wont make it incompatible...it might just make the adjacent slot unusable, which most video cards and even some other expansion cards do.

Yea....but that wont make it incompatible...it might just make the adjacent slot unusable, which most video cards and even some other expansion cards do.
While I'm not 100% positive, I believe you would have to remove the bracket for it to even fit in the case (without a Supermicro board).

I plan to get it with the supermicro server.

And then I read this:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/raid_controllers_compared?page=0,4
:eek:

The 'LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS RAID Module' driver in the linux kernel looks more complete than 'Adaptec AACRAID support' driver, but with that maximumpc article, I think I'm going intel. Also it looks as if new dells use LSI (PERC cards) just did a hd tach benchmark on a bran new (quad core intel system, server where I work) raid 5 array and it did between 50 and 80mbytes/sec (Average read speed of 63.8 MB/s). Oh and it being $100 cheaper is nice too.

I plan to get it with the supermicro server.

And then I read this:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/raid_controllers_compared?page=0,4

Hmm, something about that article has bothered me since I first read it a while ago -- I'm not sure what methodology they were using, but I would expect any LSI part to pass those tests without any problem. Now, I may be biased based on my experience with LSI parts (and the fact that I am employed by them and my job is to validate the storage hardware components), but there must have been something seriously wrong with their configuration in that setup if they couldn't even get the tests to run. I'd find it odd that Dell, HP, IBM, Sun, and many others continue to use LSI storage controllers if they couldn't even pass simple tests...

That being said, the 1078 is a great integrated RAID controller. If you have time to optimize everything and have the right number and performance of targets, you should be able to squeeze almost 1GB/s out of it doing RAID 5 writes. But, although I have tons of experience with its hardware, my knowledge of the MegaRAID firmware and associated utilities is pretty limited, so I guess I can't say what's going on with respect to that...

Don't be against the 3ware 9690SA controller. Unlike previous 3ware controller, this one actually performs well and has 512MB of ram.

If you don't like the Adaptec IOP348 controllers, there are other brands out there that use the same processor with their own RAID stacks. Check out the following controllers as well:

Atto ExpressSAS R348 and R380
Areca ARC-1680
Highpoint RocketRAID 4320
Supermicro UIO AOC-USASLP-S8IR

Back