Help me decide. Keep the 360?

Buckiller

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

Merry Christmas!!

I need some help on making a decision about a present i got today. I received an xbox 360 to replace the one i had before that got stolen about 5 months ago. Im very thankful, but all day today i've been thinking about how little I really played my previous one. I was wondering what you all think about taking it back to Gamestop and getting money back to put toward other things (like a soldering iron, PC games, books, etc)?

My gamertag is Buckiller. I used to play all the time (halo 2, rock band, halo 3, bioshock, etc) But this past year I havent as much. Mainly because my hiatus has rendered my fps skills on the 360 worthless. Also because im a junior\senior at college and havent had time for gaming with school, girlfriend, crew, and work. I play PC games a little, but not as much as i used to either. My hobbies have shifted from gaming to audio\electronics\rowing. I still own all my xbox games from before; but obviously all the save points are gone.

So, what do you guys think? What would you do in my place? How would you feel if you were the person that gave me the 360 and i wanted to return it to get cash?

Thanks,
Buckiller

Well I'm a rep at a gamestop if you plan to trade it in to but pc games and the like I'd just get a gift card, you'll get less money in cash. Personally I'd keep it around never know when you'll have friends over and one of em will want to pop in some halo3. Ultimately tho the choice is all yours.

Send it back. By the time you want to play it, you can get a new one cheaper.

Will Gamestop let you return an unopened console for full purchase price?

Well I'm a rep at a gamestop if you plan to trade it in to but pc games and the like I'd just get a gift card, you'll get less money in cash. Personally I'd keep it around never know when you'll have friends over and one of em will want to pop in some halo3. Ultimately tho the choice is all yours.

To verify, I have the reciept and the 360 is unopened. If i return it i guess they would just reverse the charge to the buyer's credit card... So I would then have to full with getting money from the gifter instead happily using the 360 :/

indeed some store do charge a restocking fee. Not sure if this is true of all of them. forgot to say that you'd need a receipt for a return of a new system.

hahaha

Definitely not going to be dumping the girlfriend.

Im really torn. My mom and step dad got it for me. I cant tell who's CC they used, im thinking my step dads. For whatever reason they bought an extended warranty with it too. SO the total cost of the 60gb 360 came to $370 (10% tax) Thats a nice chunk of change! I could get a ton of books, CDs, a soldering iron, a concept2 log card reader, and perhaps a graphics card upgrade (wait a bit or go for the 4870 now... have the 8800gt which is working fine)

I still play on my PC a bit. Working my way through dead space.. finished up COD4 single player. I really prefer the PC for hardcore games like FPSs and other games where customization is very useful. But of course the 360 has xbox live which is awesome. My gamertag is already paid for until march. And of course you cant get games like rock band on the PC. Not to mention games working out of the box and not having to full around with disabling troublesome processes to keep your game from crashing.

Anyway... I guess I will breach the topic with my mom in a moment.

Good news i guess... I talked to my mom and before I really started talking about it she mentioned how she was worried about buying me an other 360. She thought my grades were very good this semester without the 360.

So we talked a little while and we are going to figure out what the return policies are. It's printed on the receipt that as long as it is unopened we will be able to return it soon with no problems.

My mom seems fine with me getting cash back. I guess i need to come up with a few things I will use a bit of the money for right of the bat so she feels like im still getting a present vs just cash...

Thanks for the input. Hope to keep the gaming spirit inside of me alive.

Good news i guess... I talked to my mom and before I really started talking about it she mentioned how she was worried about buying me an other 360. She thought my grades were very good this semester without the 360.

So we talked a little while and we are going to figure out what the return policies are. It's printed on the receipt that as long as it is unopened we will be able to return it soon with no problems.

My mom seems fine with me getting cash back. I guess i need to come up with a few things I will use a bit of the money for right of the bat so she feels like im still getting a present vs just cash...

Thanks for the input. Hope to keep the gaming spirit inside of me alive.

I think that when you return it and your mom gets the cash, then gives that cash to you, you should take "some" of that cash and buy your mom something with it, at very least, a very nice rose and a card.

Then, I think you should take the remaining money and go invest it into a good Mutual Fund and from this day forward, each month, put $100 dollars into that Mutual Fund. By the time you are 40 to 50, You will have over a Million Bucks and believe me when I say this.....getting to the age of 40 is going to happen REALLY DAMN QUICK....Im already 35 and have NOTHING to show for it.

Also, go here http://www.daveramsey.com/ Spend $10 bucks and get his book, Total Money Makeover..as well, talk to one of his ELP's (Endorsed Local Providers) and they can help you find the Mutual Fund thats best for you.

And no, Im NOT joking. Debt fukin sucks...Dont go there.

And give your mom a hug....She tried :)

Get a new video card or more ram with the money if you dont have a high end card or 4gbs of ram. Refurb video cards are cheap as shit at newegg, I picked up a 9800gtx for only $130 awhile ago... I remember paying that much for a crappy 7600gt back when it was more than a year old.

I don't disagree with the above post but don't lay all your eggs in one basket. Pick up rich dad poor dad and the automatic millionair used to work with primerica financial. Anyway good luck on returning your 360!!

And give your mom a hug....She tried :)

Yeah, I feel ya. I hate it when someone gets me something i dont need/want but i know they really care about me and wanted to make me happy. I will definately let her know that i love her and appreciate what she has done for me.

As for investing the money, that is a possibility. i started working a good alternating semester job this summer and will be doing that again this spring. I put away a little bit into a mutual fund and will be doing so for as long as im employed.

As for getting a new videocard... I might wait a bit and see if I really want\need a new card. I already have a pretty nice 8800gt with a zalman cooler on it. Already have 4gb RAM.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Curious. You seem to prefer a soldering gun over a 360 o_0

Curious. You seem to prefer a soldering gun over a 360 o_0

Well a soldering iron is only gonna cost like $40. Not to mention if i get $370 back i could conceivably just buy another 360 on eBay for cheaper... If i really wanted to.

xbox 360 is the best system made ..hopefully you got the newer one with better cooling system

Sell it and focus on school. You have plenty of other priorities and if you decide you want to play games, they will still be there for you to look up, and still be just as new, only much much cheaper. Nothing will be missed.

theres some awesome game that are coming soon so if you trade it you are unlikely to play them.
Id keep it and I expect youll find time to game on it when something takes your fancy.

Sorry to hear abouty our loss. Its a shame Microsoft cant backup your saves on line somehow...that would be neat

if console gaming isnt your thing, why not sell it.

but if your undecided, i would say keep it until you have a real reason to decide whether to keep it or not.

Back