Help me decide between a notebook or a tablet

Hikaru IchijoSL

Limp Gawd
I want to spend less than $400.

I use it mostly for web surfing and watching movies. Some light gaming and itunes (I know if I get a tablet no using itunes).
I need at least a 6hr battery life (8 hr is ideal).

On the notebook
I do not want it to be too big 13" or less.
Do not need any sort of dvd drive.

On the Tablet 10" or less
MicroSd slot a must
1080p if possible

Right now I am using a 3 yr old netbook and any video causes it fits.

Last edited:
Considering your battery life and usage requirements you might want to go the tablet route. You'll have a hard time finding 1080p at that pricepoint but a galaxy tab 2 or transformer should suffice.

I don't think there is an advantage to 1080p on a tiny tablet or notebook screen. I mention this only because if you base your requirements on that spec you're going to miss out on good options.

Do you have a desktop or another "full computer" somewhere? If not I'd suggest getting a netbook like the X120e or X131e from Lenovo. They can be had for cheap on the outlet fairly often. I've also seen some U310s on the outlet for <$400.

If you do have another computer then yeah, the tablet sounds like the thing for you.

I have a desktop already. I can let the 1080p thing go. I am buying this for when I go out of town.

OP, check out Asus Transformer TF700. with it's dock it has longest battery life (of any tablet), 2 Sd slots, and a couple of usb slots. The other good suggestion would be the Asus Vivobook, It's a 11'' touchscreen notebook with core i3.

Just as a bit of an alternative, I'm going to suggest playing with a Galaxy Note 10.1 in a store.

The S-Pen is a pretty neat tool (airview/hover-over specifically) as well as increased touch accuracy...Or maybe I just have really fat fingertips?

Like pretty much everyone is saying before, if you already have a main computer/desktop a tablet would compliment it nicely. Otherwise if you're just going to have this one, a laptop is probably a safer all-around investment.

I am probably getting the Memo pad 10. Will I be able to run 1080p video on it at a lower resolution or do I have to convert to 720p to work.

it should be able to downscale video to fit onto its screen, that's not a problem. 1080P video will take a ton more space, though, if that becomes an issue in the future

Back