Help me chose my new speakers (~$500)

Viper87227

Fully [H]
I've come into a bit of extra cash and so I'm overhauling my audio setup. Currently I have Logitech X-530's, and a Zero DAC/AMP and Denon D2000. I am looking to replace the speakers and am looking in the $400-$500 range.

Originally I was only looking at powered monitors. The three I've been considering most heavily are M-Audio BX8 D2, Swan M200MKIII, or Emotiva Airmotiv 5 (if they ever come back in stock.) However, the other day, my Zero decided to bite the dust. I've decided to replace it with a Maverick TubeMagic A1 and D1 set. This is important because the A1 has both a headphone amp and speaker amp. This means that passive speakers are also an option now. I don't really have a preference to one or the other, but I'm also not sure which is a better option. Can I get a better set of speakers for my money (or speakers of the same quality for less money)? If so, what speakers should I be considering? I live in a remote area, so going somewhere to sample anything is not really an option. I need to roll the dice and hope I like what I get.

The speakers are going to go in a small bedroom. They are going to be used pretty equally for music, movies, and gaming. I like bass, but I like clean bass. The flabby, roof shaking nonsense is not for me. At least for music, I also am really fond of crisp, clear highs (to paint a better picture of my musical preferences, Grado headphones are my favorite thing ever, and I'll have another pair soon).

I'd either get the Airmotiv 5's or maybe the Adam F5.

Make sure whatever speakers you get are front ported.

I did, but I'll just scrap the idea of wall mounting them and get some stands.

B&H had the BX8 on sale for $299, no tax and free shipping, and at that price I just couldn't pass them up. I've heard enough good things and read enough reviews on them that I don't think I could do better for $300.

I did, but I'll just scrap the idea of wall mounting them and get some stands.

B&H had the BX8 on sale for $299, no tax and free shipping, and at that price I just couldn't pass them up. I've heard enough good things and read enough reviews on them that I don't think I could do better for $300.

I think you nailed it. 8" drivers and active for $300? damn good deal.

I think you nailed it. 8" drivers and active for $300? damn good deal.

Sadly, it'll be a few weeks before I get to hear them. I'm moving around the end of January, and can only bring what I can fit in my car. So, I had these shipped to where I am going, as I imagine they would take up a lot of valuable real-estate.

I thought about waiting, but I'm glad I didn't. As of this morning they are back up to $499 on B&H.

I just bought a pair of BX8's also from Amazon for $299. Considered the Monoprice clones, but the warranty wasn't quite as good, plus it was like $40 for shipping plus the much longer waiting time due to having Amazon Prime.

Ok. Just got my BX8's in today. Oh. My God. Best speakers I've ever owned, by far.

I still haven't heard mine yet! I should be heading home this weekend. I'm pretty anxious to give them a go.

Did you get them yet? I can't wait to hear your opinion on them. I've never heard anything sound as nice as these do at the <$300 price range.

Did you get them yet? I can't wait to hear your opinion on them. I've never heard anything sound as nice as these do at the <$300 price range.

They arrived weeks ago, but I was preparing to move and had them shipped to my destination.

I finally got them set up, and they sound brilliant, even on my half-assed audio setup. I've got a new DAC and amp w/ tube-preout coming too. They should sound phenomenal when that all arrives.

Last edited:
Finally got a shot today to give these a real run in a totally empty house. Holy hell these fuckers get loud...

Back