Help me chose: iPod 20GB or iRiver 20GB MP3 player

The_Dominion

Limp Gawd
I have heard great things about both players, and I thought I had my mind made up to go with iRiver H-120, however the lowest priced store raised their price on me, and it put it at the same price as Apple's 4G 20GB Ipod including the price for the dock. So, it got me thinking, which music player should I go with? Right now I plan to listen to music, but I also equally plan to use it for drive storage, possibly a mobile boot drive. What are your opinions on this? Thanks!

If you like the slicker interface and using a software interface to manage the player, the iPod wins.

Otherwise, the iRiver has better sound quality (read the reviews folks), longer battery life (15 or 16 hours), optical connections, recording and a radio should you ever desire it, and an LCD remote. It's also not that hard to navigate around, after 20 minutes it's pretty easy to work with, even though it's not as instant to catch on to as the iPod is.

Size wise they're about the same, and if you have a Mac you might want to avoid the iRiver because they don't have the best software support for Apple.

As far as booting from it, I never used that so if the iRiver can do it wait for someone else to tell you about it. But I really prefer having easy access to all the files, one thing about the iPod that bugs me.

Yeah, if only newegg would decrease the iRiver h120's price just a LEEEEETLE bit more :p

iRiver all the WAY!!!! check out www.iriver.us its THE biggest and the BEST iRiver comunity. they will answer all of ur questions and help you with your desision. i own iRiver and LOVE it

Well I decided to order off of NewEgg. It cost a little more than buydig.com, but as I had no experience with that seller, I chose to buy from NewEgg. I can cancel it last minute,If anyone has any reason I should not buy the iRiver; speak now or forever hold your peace.

dont get an iriver, get a nomad xtra. much cheaper, much nicer, best sound quality of any of the portables

ipods are overpriced, that dial thing is NOT comfortable, i dont know why people say it is, the battery life is less than any other portable, and the sound quality is subpar

I'm a proud owner of a fourth generation iPod. First of all, the navigation is absolutely slick. The on-screen interface is very intuitive; you would have to try it to appreciate it. I like the tactile feedback of the buttons in contrast to the smooth touchpad; they work well together. While I still use Winamp as my primary audio player, iTunes is very convenient to use as a file transfer intermediary. As my music is already well tagged (ID3, that is), I don't really miss the FAT32 filesystems used by other portable audio players.

The battery life is good; I am routinely seeing 10-12 hours on each charge, and the 4G iPod can now charge via FireWire or USB (2.0). Sound quality is what I would expect from MP3 audio; I haven't tried WAV or AAC Lossless yet. By the way, I am using Etymotic ER-6 earphones. The lack of a remote is hardly an inconvenience; there is no reason to have a remote when the main player is this slim.

Pricewise, it's hard to argue with $270 shipped for the 20 GB with educational discount. With a portable audio player that is this refined, it's a steal really.

Back