Help me choose between laptops

Silentbob343

[H]ard|Gawd
Girlfriend's laptop died and she needs a new one, it has to from Sam's Club and under $500.

Two models fit in the price range:

Dell1545
Intel Dual Core T4500
250GB
3GB RAM

Toshiba Satellite C655D
AMD V140
320GB
4GB RAM

She will need this for school and general home use; word, internet, watching movies, etc. The Dell has a better processor and the Toshiba has a better GPU as well as bigger HDD and more RAM. The HDD isn't really an issue as she does not keep vast amounts of data. Her previous laptop had an 80 GB HDD and it was nowhere near full.

Does she play games? Otherwise the GPU in the Toshiba really won't make a difference.
I've preferred the build of Dell's over Toshiba's in the past. Although I haven't seen either of these two in person.

I'd go with the Dell. You can always easily upgrade the RAM.

Dells seem to be more durable than other laptop brands, and their customer service (in my experience) has been stellar. IMO, it's the perfect school laptop.

Yes, the Toshiba has a better GPU, but both GPUs are meh for today; I don't think it's really a deal-maker

watching movies should be left to DVD players not laptops as it increases wear and tear, and means more $ for the repairman.
look into a 10.1" netbook for school instead of hauling a 15.6" one around all day. get a 19" monitor and portable DVD burner for home.

Easily the Dell.

Why does it have to be from Sam's Club?

Her father has a ton of gift cards for Sam's so it would be a free laptop for her.

We looked at netbooks, but she felt the screen was too small and she does not have a desktop PC. As far as carrying it around she doesn't take it to class; it sits on her desk for papers/research and such, living room for web surfing, and bedroom for late night movie watching.

Thanks for all the suggestions, the Dell it is.

watching movies should be left to DVD players not laptops as it increases wear and tear, and means more $ for the repairman.
look into a 10.1" netbook for school instead of hauling a 15.6" one around all day. get a 19" monitor and portable DVD burner for home.

wrong answer, plz try again ahaha

I used a vostro 1400 for 3 years as a portable media center PC. My current rig (Studio 15) is even better at it since it has intergrated BD-Rom drive plus 1080p screen.

if one does not carry around a laptop, then why does one need a laptop?
get a desktop instead then, you pay same, get more hdd and ram, and a bigger screen.
and watch DVDs on your TV.

Back