Help me choose: asus Commando vs P5N32-E PLUS

axan

[H]ard|Gawd
Im building a new c2d system and i cant decide which motherboard to go with, im torn between Asus commando and the p5n32-e plus. I mostly use my system for gaming (rpgs, strategy, some fps) Heres the rest of the components

cpu: e6400
ram: ocz flexxlc DDR800 2GB
gpu: evga 8800 gtx
psu: silverstone st75f
sound: sb x-fi xtreme music
os drive: 74gb raptor
data drive: raid 5 of 4 x wd1600ys
case: thermaltake armor jr
os: xp right now will upgrade to vista once the drivers get bit better

I had the same decision. Went with the Plus instead as it had less features (which I prefer)

If you need SLI, get the Plus, if not get the Commando. The 965 is a great chipset, and the Plus is a "Frankenstein" 650/570 SLI hybrid. You're bound to have less trouble with the mainstream chipset in the long run, especially with the move to Vista in the future.

Go with the PLUS. It leaves you more options for the future (1333 FSB + Full X16 SLI). Also it does everything the evga 680i does but without all the hardware headaches. In terms of performance it benches exactly like a 680i but for $60+ cheaper.

The Commando is also an excellent choice but the PLUS has the advantage because it will offer you an upgrade path.

I recently built a system around the Commando and although a bit expensive for what you get I'm very happy with it (chose the board for an easy first time OC experience). The P965 Chipset may be older tech but it works damn well, besides if you don't plan on going SLi in the future, the you don't NEED a SLi capable board...

What? commando isn't sli board? - how come its got two pci-e slots?
Also if you are planning to co, comandos got more options

no seriously, is Asus Commando not a Sli mb? then why on earth has it got 2 pcie slots?

commando can do crossfire but not sli also the slots are not x16

omfg i got a wrong board, so what pcie is 8x here? is it way slower than 16x?

well on commando the main pcie slot is 16x the other one is 4x, the 8x vs 16x only started to matter with the geforce 8 graphic cards.

Is 16x - the top slot?
I was kinda looking for sli board(just incase of an upgrade) and i get this.... never occured to me... But in terms of ocing(i dont know if its due to asus or a cpu), it gets the job done(cpu vcore goes as high as 1.8), Ive been told that most OC i can hope for with E6600 is ~3.2Ghz may be 3.4, and in two days i oced it to 3.8ghz(ustable) 3.7(stable, even though the volts are high)...
Thx for the info.

well on commando the main pcie slot is 16x the other one is 4x, the 8x vs 16x only started to matter with the geforce 8 graphic cards.

Even then the difference wasn't all that big.

Back