Help me choose a new card

ruffz

Limp Gawd
Hello all, that time for a video card upgrade has come again, and I look to you guys for advice. I'm considering the nvidia 7950 GX2, the ati X1900 XT or XTX. There's quite the price difference between these three cards, with the XT at about $400, the XTX at about $500 and the GX2 at about $600. Right now I'm leaning towards the GX2 simply because it is the fastest single card to date, and I don't wish to run an SLI setup. Would it be wise to spring for the GX2 (or one of the other cards I mentioned), or wait for directx 10 cards to come out later this year?

Personally I'd say save your cash as those cards will drop in price rapidly over the next year and you'd lose less on resale if you buy a 512mb X1800XT considering you can sell it in a few months when prices on X1900's and 7900's drop and upgrade again.

If you have money to burn buy the X1800XT then spend the rest on your girl friend : )

Well for one thing looking at your rig in your sig, your parts look to be AGP, not PCI-e like all the cards you listed in your post. So you may want to factor in the cost of a new mobo + proc setup when looking at new cards.

To address your question on the cards though, I personally might go with the X1900XTX card, not because I'm a ATI fan, but the 7950GX2 seems a little hastily thrown together, and my gut tells me that people may have a lot of trouble with those in the future.

Is the 7950 the fastest? sure. Can it be overclocked? probably. I just think that the X1900XTX brings a little more technology to the table.

...and don't forget that the GX2 is only worth it if you have a 24" or bigger monitor.

The X1900XT will perform just as well as the X1900XTX or the GX2 in resolutions up to 1600x1200.

CodeWaste said:
Well for one thing looking at your rig in your sig, your parts look to be AGP, not PCI-e like all the cards you listed in your post. So you may want to factor in the cost of a new mobo + proc setup when looking at new cards.

To address your question on the cards though, I personally might go with the X1900XTX card, not because I'm a ATI fan, but the 7950GX2 seems a little hastily thrown together, and my gut tells me that people may have a lot of trouble with those in the future.

Is the 7950 the fastest? sure. Can it be overclocked? probably. I just think that the X1900XTX brings a little more technology to the table.

I posted a different thread in the Intel forums as well. I'm doing an all out upgrade of cpu/mb/video/hd and possibly ram if I were to spring for a 5000+ on AM2. I'm liking that $369 mark for the ATI card at ZZF, I don't game above 1280x1024 so after some thinking I'm pretty sure I'll go with the x1900 XT. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Back