Help me choose a mechanical keyboard?

c3rberus

n00b
Hello,

I am looking to get a new keyboard, the one I currently own (purchased sometimes in 2011) is a MIONIX Zibal which is a Cherry MX Black switches keyboard. It was a good keyboard for its time, but I need to replace it.

I use my computer 85% of the time for work (sysadmin) and 15% for gaming. I am looking for a replacement keyboard.

It seems the landscape has changed quite a bit and there are plenty of new mechanical keyboards out there...

From my research, it seems the Cherry MX Brown or Cherry MX Blue would be the best option.

Looking at my local tech hardware store, they have the Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum on quite the sale (ncix.com), but this has the ROMER-G Mechanical Switches, so throw that into the mix and now I am confused on what to get.

Any subject mater experts out there point me to the right direction? I want a decently new keyboard (late 2015 release), I could care less about the RGB leds (as long as it is back-lit that is fine so I can see the keys easy), I want it to be durable.

I do like Logitech/Corsair products in general, in particular Logitech as they have above average drivers/software for their products, etc.

I prefer Blues for typing but they are noisy. Browns have less noise and kind of a similar feel to Blues but I don't really like them. Red's are my new favorite, have a good feel to them and work well for typing and gaming. I love my Corsair K70 but then I'm also kind of a sucker for cool lights and stuff like that which you probably don't care for. Still worth checking out Reds though.

I prefer Blues for typing but they are noisy. Browns have less noise and kind of a similar feel to Blues but I don't really like them. Red's are my new favorite, have a good feel to them and work well for typing and gaming. I love my Corsair K70 but then I'm also kind of a sucker for cool lights and stuff like that which you probably don't care for. Still worth checking out Reds though.

Thanks for this, yea I am starting to lean more towards the MX Reds.. What do you think of the Corsair Gaming K70? I was also looking at the Logitech but their recent G810 rolls their own "ROMER-G" switches, I would think its better to go with something that's already proven to work well such as the Cherry MX switches. Also the Corsair build seems to be of higher quality compared to Logitech.

I have a Logitech G710+ and it has pretty solid build quality and is an excellent keyboard. The K70 is superb and is really well built. The only thing I don't like is the red backlighting. Maybe it's my eyes but sometimes that makes it hard to see the letters as they kind of blur. I wish I'd coughed up the extra $30 and got the RGB version which allows you to change the backlighting to any color you want.

I have a Logitech G710+ and it has pretty solid build quality and is an excellent keyboard. The K70 is superb and is really well built. The only thing I don't like is the red backlighting. Maybe it's my eyes but sometimes that makes it hard to see the letters as they kind of blur. I wish I'd coughed up the extra $30 and got the RGB version which allows you to change the backlighting to any color you want.

That's good to know, I am looking at the K70 Lux RGB just for that reason; to be able to change the back lighting. Its quite expensive though :( Gotta hide the bill from the wifey LOL.

Mass drop always has tons of mechanical keyboards on sale. Go to geekhack to get info overload.

There are tons more switches now than just cherries too

I have a Cherry MX Board 6.0 at work and a Corsair Strafe RGB at home.

I like the Corsair keyboard better.

You will not regret going with the K70 Lux RGB.

On a side not. I tested out a keyboard with the Romer-G switches at my local Best Buy. I did not like the feel of those switches.

Have you considered a Keyboard with Topre or Matias switches? Both options are better than cherry for a keyboard that gets used for work primarily. I personally use Topre at work, and have a G410 at home for gaming. Honestly, cherry switches are okay, but pretty much everything else is better.

Saying a switch is better is pretty subjective when it comes to mechanicals. It's all about how the switches feel to the person using it IMO.

Regardless of what you end up buying, bear in mind that you've been using cherry mx black since 2011, you're used to the black switches feel and transitioning to browns and red might be uncomfortable at the beginning. It might be a good idea to get the keyboard from a place without return restocking fees, just in case you are unable to get used to another switch.

I've had good luck with the two CoolerMaster Rapid i brown key switch keyboards I have. My Deck Franciium pro keyboard was nice, but didn't last too long.

I went thru 3 rma's for dead LEDs with an original Corsair K95. I got fed up and let them know it. The final rma they sent out a K95 RGB. Not one LED has gone out so they've fixed their LED issues with the RGB line up. The old non-RGB, would not touch again with a ten ft pole. That said the K95 RGB is a fine ass mech keyboard.

I also own a Logi G910 with the romer-g switches. It is a pretty nice keyboard as well and it was a bit cheaper than the K95 RGB. Looks wise I prefer the K95 for its understated look. I saved the G910 to give to my son for his B-day. He seems to love the G910. Also, the shape of the romer keys help keep your fingers planted. It really does have a nice feel, it's just a shame you can't make it quieter with o-rings, etc.

Looking at teh G810, it is a pretty nice looking clean design void of the gaudy gameresque livery. Thumbs up Logitech.

Dark horse - Logitech G610 - available in red or brown, I have the brown. I like it a lot, and you can find it on sale for 69-79. Only plain white LEDs, but that's fine.

Like mine a lot. Picked it up at fry's on sale for 69.00. Just liked the browns better than the reds, blues or G-romer. If reds activated when they bottomed out, I think I'd prefer them, but since like all cherry switches, activate midstroke, I wanted a bump at activation. I went with the soft bump of the browns, sacrificing some feel for quietness.

BB

I just bought the Razer Blackwidow Chroma X and i love it. The keys have just the right feel to the actuation and the all metal keyboard is nice and heavy. Plus the chroma lights are simply the best. Keep in mind Razer uses their own MX Switch called green.

I had a Filco Tenkeyless Cherry MX Blue in the past...ended up selling it and I so regret it. Picked up a Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red...I do not like the Red. Going to be ordering the Corsair K65 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Blue soon.

If typing accuracy is important, then I'd really recommend the brown or blue over the reds. The reds are a bit too soft and I saw my typing accuracy go down. As far as a board recommendation, I'm assuming you want a numpad since you're using it for work. In my experience, Filcos have excellent feel beyond the keys themselves - the backplate is very sturdy they feel very good overall. Filcos can be hard to find in the states sometimes, so my (VERY) close second is the WASD keyboards. They're excellent.

Conversely - the mid/lower end Leopold and Ducky full sizes do not feel as good as the Filcos and WASDs, I would not recommend those.

If you're cool with dropping the numpad, then the Leopold FC660M is absolutely fantastic. I love it for gaming, as it allows my hands to be closer together when playing with the mouse.

look up WASD Keyboards. you can make your own. I have 2 now lol.

CZVwwvGUsAA-bNc.jpg

CZSCB3QUsAIfW1o.jpg

I've had a Logitech G810 for a couple of days now. Still getting used to the feel and spacing of the keys after using Saitek Eclipse boards for a LONG time. Only comparison I have is to some of the old AS400 terminals at work and memories of the Commodore 64. LOL So far I like the feel of the keystrokes... not too soft and not too hard for me. Amazon had it for $120. I don't plan on a whole lot of gaming with it as I have a Nostromo set up for that.

Check out code keyboards, I've got one with mx clears in it and I love it. I added some cheap white orings and its wonderful. They are manufactured by WASD iirc.

After being a Deck fanboy for years (still am), I tried a Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire. This thing is the tits! Cherry Silver switches are great. I'm replacing the keycaps with PBT Doubleshot. Don't like the slippery feel of ABS caps.

not much experience, but I've enjoyed my Logitech 710 and 710+, as well as my Logitech G410. I tried the larger version of the 410, I forget if it's the 810 or 910 but I didn't like it as much as the smaller 410. I also tried a razor one, forget the model, but it was from Bestbuy, didn't care for it. Messed with some Corsair at a local shop and they seemed very nice but $$$. I should preface all of my choices are very cost sensitive :O.

I really like my blues . I have had red , blue , brown . Blue feels good , but as others said are nosier. My favorite keyboard to date was my corsair k 90 with blue keys .

Back