Help me build my parents an HTPC

Danja

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I'm looking to build my parents an HTPC for a New Year present. They have a lot of inputs for their TV that they want to manage using a single piece of hardware, and they really enjoyed it when I hooked up my gaming PC to the TV. I'd like input on the build. Here are the FAQs:

) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Mainly video playback. It needs to accept input feeds via coaxial cable from:
a: the comcast digital HD cable box
b: the old VCR
c: the satellite dish

It also needs to be adequate for web browsing (easy), blu ray playback, and maybe some light video editing

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

I'm hoping to keep it under $600 with tax and shipping

3) Where do you live?

Central Indiana

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, RAM, Motherboard, case, blu ray drive, TV tuner(s?), hard drive, possibly fans, power supply

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

I have a 2.2 gHz Athlon X2 that I can reuse if necessary. I think I want a more modern build though.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Probably not :)

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

Sony 1080p TV

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Within a week or so.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.

Might need three PCI-E slots? I looked at the Hauppage TV tuners and they seem to only have two coax inputs. I have three coax sources that need to run through the PC. That takes two PCI-E slots (is it even possible to run two of these simultaneously?). If I add a small graphics card for blu ray playback, that makes three PCI-E slots. This seems hard to come by in uATX boards, although the TV tuners only use the small X4 slot.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

No, but that doesn't need to come from the budget. My brother can get it.

Any ideas for the build, or if it's even possible? Another thing I would like to do is use the PC to output sound to the big column speakers on the other side of the room. We can't stretch a wire across the living room, so I'd like to do it wirelessly. Is this possible?

For the main setup I recommend this:
$59 - AMD Athlon II X2 250 CPU
$103 - Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H AMD 880G HDMI mATX Motherboard
$40 - Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 996586 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
---
Total: $202 shipped.

That motherboard has two PCI-E x16 slots and one PCI-E x1 slot. Now the onboard video should be more than enough for blu-ray playback. With that said, there are some cases where the onboard hasn't been enough for perfect and clear blu-ray playback so you still have PCI-E slots for a dedicated card. Considering that many good TV tuners are PCI-E x1 and will also work in a PCI-E x16 slot just fine, that motherboard should be perfect for your needs for two TV tuners and a dedicated video card.

As for the case + PSU, that's gonna be up to your parent's personal aesthetic choices. So here's a few options:
Option 1:
$90 - Silverstone GD05B mATX HTPC Case
$48 - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W PSU
---
Total: $138 shipped.

Option 2:
$118 - Antec NSK2480 mATX case with Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU

Both cases were specifically design for HTPC usage. So they're very quiet cases and the designs of those cases let them fit in with most of the normal home theater gear. So choose the case/PSU combo that you think your parents will like the best.

HDD wise, get this drive and call it a day:
$65 - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

So far that's a total of $385 to $405 for the main HTPC itself. That still leaves you roughly $200 for the TV tuners. That's more than enough for two TV tuners. Check out this list for some of the recommended Tuners:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035444126&postcount=3

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you! I posted in the HTPC thread; I'm utterly confused as to what I need from the TV tuners. I should have posted this thread in there as well but I didn't realize it was there. Thanks a million for the idea for the backbone!

Back