Help me build/buy a system for 4K video and photo editing.

PNut12345

Supreme [H]ardness
I’ve been out of the PC hardware scene for several years now. Funny how having kids can make that happen.

I’m trying to make some side money with my DJI Phantom 4 Pro drone and will need a computer able to edit 4K video (up to 60 fps if that matters) and high resolution photos in RAW format.

I’ll likely be using Lightroom and premier pro for editing.

This is not a career per se, I’m trying to replace the part time income I’ll be giving up due to a promotion in a few months. I’m talking about enough work to replace or maybe exceed $1100/month.

With the above workload in mind, I don’t see myself needing to process multiple videos simultaneously.

What research I’ve been able to do indicates i7 or AMD equivalent, 32GB RAM, probably a 1TB SSD with a traditional HDD for bulk storage. Power supply and chassis I can figure out on my own. GPU is where I’m really hung up. I have no idea what’s what anymore, and current prices on GPU’s initially had me planning a bank robbery to fund the damn thing, before I remembered how much I like not being in prison.

I also have no clue on the motherboard since I’m out of the loop on current chipsets, RAM speeds, etc.

I’ve seen indications that I could get away with an i5/AMD equivalent CPU. I know I really can’t budge on 32GB of RAM.

I’m trying not to break the bank on this and would like to spend in the ballpark of $1500 with monitor. I’ve got peripherals covered already.

Any input would be great, thanks in advance.

Going to be hard to fit in that budget with a monitor and GPU. I'd start with the monitor you want and then budget the rest of the system with what money you have left. Most of the prebuilts that fall in that price range have previous gen CPUs.

I'd guess that since you're using Adobe, you'd want Intel because evidently Adobe can't be bothered to optimize their stuff for AMD.

I'd guess that since you're using Adobe, you'd want Intel because evidently Adobe can't be bothered to optimize their stuff for AMD.
Intel holds an advantage in Premiere Pro because they include Quick Sync technology on their CPUs.

Until recently AMD had the edge in Lightroom but Intel's new CPUs have shown better performance.

I ended up scoring a laptop here at [H]. Ryzen 5800X, 32GB and 3070. Should do just fine for me. Thanks to those who responded here!
Sounds more then ample. Was going to mention that I think Nvidia plays nicer with Adobe then AMD.

Sounds more then ample. Was going to mention that I think Nvidia plays nicer with Adobe then AMD.

So a friend of mine uses davinci resolve for his YouTube videos. He’s gonna try to get me up to speed on that. I’ll still probably go with Lightroom for photo editing though. I’m learning all this as I go, basically trying to make about $1100/month with aerial footage from my Phantom 4 Pro. Not trying to retire off the money, just supplement my income with it.

So a friend of mine uses davinci resolve for his YouTube videos. He’s gonna try to get me up to speed on that. I’ll still probably go with Lightroom for photo editing though. I’m learning all this as I go, basically trying to make about $1100/month with aerial footage from my Phantom 4 Pro. Not trying to retire off the money, just supplement my income with it.
You have a really capable system no matter which way you go. As a side gig without strenuous timelines I am sure you will be just fine if something takes an extra minute or two vs. spending thousands more. I remember rendering all night for my SD video file. We are all living spoiled today even at 4K.

Wondershare Filmora 11 or better yet Wondershare Filmora Pro. Easy to use. It does not complain about my hardware
when rendering and have errors. A good video card is needed and enough RAM.

I bought it years ago when it was, Wondershare Filmora 9. How about a WebCam by using your camera and linking to your
computer via USB? HDMI to USB Video Capture Card.

Wondershare Filmora - Best Video Editor for Beginner
Ad·https://filmora.wondershare.net/

Back