Help me build a gaming PC to last some years

im_shadows

n00b
Hey guys, I've been looking to buy a new PC and I want your help. My current specs are pretty outdated, I have a FX-6300 and a GTX 750 Ti, but maybe I can use my current 650W PSU and 1 TB HDD on a new machine. Anyway, my main goal
is to build a gaming PC able to run games on 1080p +60FPS, but also capable of running them on 4K +60FPS if I get myself a new monitor, and last about 2/3 years without having to change any parts. I thought about choosing the
right parts so that I could change my GPU in about 3 years and maintain my CPU, after 1/2 years after that change my CPU, so that I could change my GPU again after that and finally, in 1/2 years after I would need to build a new PC.
Obviously, to do this I would need to choose a CPU with a socket that would be still a high performance one after those 4/5 years. I made a list of GPUs and CPUs that I thought would fit on my plan and their price is affordable.
GPU: 1070 Ti, 1080 or 1080 Ti.
CPU: Ryzen 1700, Ryzen 1700x, Ryzen 1800x, i7-8700 or i7-8700K.
I concluded that considering performance and prices here in Brazil, I would take the 1070 Ti or the 1080 as GPU, so I could jump to a 1080 Ti in 2/3 years as I plan to. But talking about CPUs I don't know what to take. Analyzing
them the most powerful one appears to be the 8700K, but its price is the highest, and I don't know if the performance boost from the 8700 or the 1700x is worth the price. Besides that, I would take the 8700K with no hesitation
for its current price if it was with the LGA 2066 socket, but it isn't. Also, I don't know much about the Ryzen's, so I don't know if their socket would suit my plan for a future change.
I think I managed to explain to you my big plan and I hope you guys understand what I meant and what's my purpose with this build. Before I forget, I do not plan to overclock and neither use my PC for work or streaming.
Thank you http://m.**********************.com/sfp/images/design/usr/smilies/smile.gif

Some things I forgot to put on my text.
*I didn't the 7700 and 7700K because I don't think they would be able to last 5 years smoothly.
*I didn't add any i9 on my CPU list because there aren't many available in Brazil, so their price is high as f***.
*Would my 650W PSU work well with any of these components or I would have to buy a 700W or a 750W one?
*Would it be safe to use my old HDD on this new build?
*If there's another CPU with similar performance with the ones on my list, and it fits my plan, please suggest it http://m.**********************.com/sfp/images/design/usr/smilies/smile.gif
*If you think I should wait, please convince me =p

Bang for the buck I'd go with the 1700X...the intel CPU's just aren't worth it IMO for the extra cost.

650watt PSU is strong enough as long as it's a quality one and youre not overclocking crazy amounts (drastically increase voltage)

You said old HDD....if you mean SSD, then yes no issue, but if your're still on a spinning disk that's the first thing you need to change is get a good ~500GB SSD (more if you can afford it).

Not sure how video card prices are in brazil, but they're still really high here in the US although coming back down to annoyingly more expensive (vs ludicrous). Id suggest mid-high range GPU like (the 1070Ti) because regardless of 1080Ti or even Titan icards it t wouldn't last 5 years so you're gonna have to upgrade 2-3 years regardless. If you see prices starting to drop or come back to ~50% of pre-mining hike then I'd just buy now otehrwise you're gonna be waiting for "the next best thing"

I am picking up a Ryzen 1700x today, good choice money wise. Boards are between $80 to $150 for SLI set ups.

I'd consider holding off till April / May on the video card & see what the price / performance landscape is after the new Nvidia launch.

For gaming, a 6700K, or 7700 / 7700K would be more than enough for good gaming for many years to come, but there are great deals to be had on the new AMD CPUs currently, so that would be a good idea.
Get a good SSD, that will make a pretty good difference to how smoothly your games play
Get at least 16gb of memory
Then spend as much as you can on a good video card, Pretty much nothing on the market today at a reasonable cost will do 4k and 60fps on high settings smoothly. A 1080Ti would probably be the minimum I'd recommend if you actually want to play 4k games at high settings for the next 3 years. You might get by with a 1080 or a 1070Ti, but if you want 4k gaming you'll be feeling the upgrade itch sooner, so get the 1080Ti (even if you need to get a used one) or whatever gets released from Nvidia in April.

Bang for the buck I'd go with the 1700X...the intel CPU's just aren't worth it IMO for the extra cost.

650watt PSU is strong enough as long as it's a quality one and youre not overclocking crazy amounts (drastically increase voltage)

You said old HDD....if you mean SSD, then yes no issue, but if your're still on a spinning disk that's the first thing you need to change is get a good ~500GB SSD (more if you can afford it).

Not sure how video card prices are in brazil, but they're still really high here in the US although coming back down to annoyingly more expensive (vs ludicrous). Id suggest mid-high range GPU like (the 1070Ti) because regardless of 1080Ti or even Titan icards it t wouldn't last 5 years so you're gonna have to upgrade 2-3 years regardless. If you see prices starting to drop or come back to ~50% of pre-mining hike then I'd just buy now otehrwise you're gonna be waiting for "the next best thing"

Actually, I just realized that my PSU is the Corsair CX600, a 600W PSU not 650W as I initially thought. Is the CX600 a reliable PSU for a i7-8700K+1080 combo? And capable of handling some kind of overcloking?. I could stick with the CX600 and in 1/2 years get a 750W PSU, so that I could overclock my hardware more securely, right? And what cooling units do I need. If I get a i7-8700K (at a good price of course),for instance? It has its own CPU FAN, correct? What kind of cooling unit do I need to run it smoothly with some light overclocking and maybe do some more intese overclocking on it in 3/4 years? Should I get just a FAN now and then, in 3/4 years I get myself a WaterCooler, being able to overclock it more intensely?

8700k does not come with a fan.

The older CX power supplies have questionable durability. The newer ones are better but still not something I would use on a high end build

S
8700k does not come with a fan.

The older CX power supplies have questionable durability. The newer ones are better but still not something I would use on a high end build
So what would you suggest for cooling? A simple FAN now, and in a few years get mysef a WaterCooler? And what would you suggest for PSU? If you do not recommend using a CX on a high-end build what would you recommend, a CS, TX or RM 750W?

S

So what would you suggest for cooling? A simple FAN now, and in a few years get mysef a WaterCooler? And what would you suggest for PSU? If you do not recommend using a CX on a high-end build what would you recommend, a CS, TX or RM 750W?
TX is a solid psu(semi modular if that matters to you), 650w is plenty.

The RM is full modular but not worth the cost difference to me.

Seasonic focus PSU are also worth looking at.

But you can probably use your current psu

As for the cooler, I only use air, but you need one of the best to OC 8700k

TX is a solid psu(semi modular if that matters to you), 650w is plenty.

The RM is full modular but not worth the cost difference to me.

Seasonic focus PSU are also worth looking at.

But you can probably use your current psu

As for the cooler, I only use air, but you need one of the best to OC 8700k
So the smart thing to do is maintain my CX600, get a basic performance FAN cooler for now and in 1/3 years get a good WaterCooler+750W TX PSU to overclock my i7-8700K and my future GPU?

Back