Help me build a cost effective workstation

Dan_Grr

n00b
I need a cheap workstation, and I'd need to buy all the parts from here: http://translate.google.pt/translat...yout=2&eotf=1&u=http://www.pcdiga.com/pcdiga/. So unfortunately, no newegg, no best buy, not tiger direct, I have none of those in my country.

1) What will you be doing with this PC?
- Graphic design and web development, browing, some multi-tasking. It'll be used only for work.

2) What's your budget?
- Up to €300-400, not counting monitor or peripherals, I already have those, but appreciate your recommendations on it as well, maybe I'll end up buying a screen and keyboard+mouse as well.

3) Which country do you live in?
- Portugal. I'm buying from this website only: http://translate.google.pt/translat...yout=2&eotf=1&u=http://www.pcdiga.com/pcdiga/

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
CPU
Mobo
RAM
HDD
GPU
Case&PSU
ODD
[Optional] - Peripherals (if you want to recommend monitor, mouse and keyboard). This will not count towards the "up to €300-400" budget.

5) Reusing any parts?
- No

6) Will you be overclocking?
- No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
- 1280x 1024 17 inch - BUT - I'm open to buy a new monitor.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
- Next few days.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? etc.
- No special features I guess.
- I am not working with video editing, nor 3D, nor gaming. I want this for work exclusively (graphic/web design/development and some multi-tasking if applicable).

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
- I do not have a Windows license, and I don't need it. (likely install Ubuntu or Windows at a later date)

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
- I do not have a Windows license, and I don't need it. (likely install Ubuntu or Windows at a later date)

Wait, so you're gonna be installing Ubuntu on this PC first? And then Windows when you can afford to buy a license?

Wait, so you're gonna be installing Ubuntu on this PC first? And then Windows when you can afford to buy a license?

Yes, that's right Danny. I have Ubuntu on another work PC build.

Or maybe I'll install a trial version of Windows 7 (64 bit probably what do you think).

The reason for Windows is the Adobe suite.

€111 - Intel Core i3-2100
€79- Gigabyte GA-H67M-UD2H Intel H67 mATX Motherboard
€25 - Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
€79 - Seagate 7200.12 ST500DM002
€18 - Samsung SH-222AB SATA DVD Burner
€46 - Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU
€37 - Coolermaster Elite 370 RC-370-KKN1-GP Black ATX Case
----
Total: €395

Notes:
- I went with 4GB of RAM as a start since RAM is one of the cheaper and easier items in a PC to upgrade. The freed up cash from not going with 8GB of RAM lets you have a faster CPU
- I chose that motherboard due to its 4 RAM slots which allows you to have a total of 16GB of RAM later on. Very useful for Photoshop
- Keep an eye on your temperatures as that case only comes with one 120mm fan.

Stuff that you should add/buy/upgrade when you get additional funds:
- Another 120mm fan on the case's side for better cooling
- Another 4GB to 12GB of more RAM for better Photoshop performance
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit key. For now use Ubuntu or Windows 7 in trial mode (still has the 120 day trial mode IIRC)

Neither build are good due to the same three issues:
1) Really shitty power supply.
2) Relatively poor case for cooling.
3) The motherboard only has two RAM slots which limits you to only 8GB of RAM max.

Yes my build is better since you get a significantly better PSU, a better cooling case, and the ability to upgrade to 16GB of RAM later on. That's worth the extra 26 euros IMO.

Neither build are good due to the same three issues:
1) Really shitty power supply.
2) Relatively poor case for cooling.
3) The motherboard only has two RAM slots which limits you to only 8GB of RAM max.

Yes my build is better since you get a significantly better PSU, a better cooling case, and the ability to upgrade to 16GB of RAM later on. That's worth the extra 26 euros IMO.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Danny, you're the best.

Back