Help me bring my 6950 to life

ValVed RaY

Limp Gawd
Bought this card in a system from someone, but the card is dead >_< I have never gotten the card to post ONCE. I can successfully flash the bios. but that doesn't seem to help.
Anyways I've tried many different bios on it and still no post :( i'm gonna try to open it and see if it's maybe a capacitor that came lose or something.
does anybody know how to take the plastic shroud off the video card? I removed all the screws i could find but it doesn't just come off, do i need to punch the plastic tabs in to get it out, and will that void any chance of RMA? the reason i'm not RMA'n yet is because the guy i bought it from bought it from someone and powercolor only accepts original owner RMA. so i don't know if i'll be able to get it RMAd

The model number is powercolor ax6950 2gbd5-2dh
here is a picture of it
http://www.shopping.com/power-color...5-pci-express-2-1-x16-hdcp-ready-crossfi/info
maybe if someone has the original bios for this card they could help me by sending it to me.
If it works you would be my hero :D

any help is appreciated :)

what is the motherboard? doesit have a VGA led indicator to check? led codes?

are the extra power connectors securely fitted? is the power-supply properly rated with the correct wattage? is it in the proper x16 slot?

how could you flash the bios if it doesn't post? you shouldn't be able to see it to flash...

If you go through everything and can't get an rma, could always try the baking trick and see if anything happens. Never know.

Ok so i managed to get the heatsink off, turns out there wasn't more screws it was just a bit dried up.
i did a very close inspection cleaned all the dust, there wasn't anything wrong with it visually. I'm putting this back together as i write this. I was able to flash the bios by booting with the bios setting set to the on board graphics adapter. and then booting to dos and using the atiflash utility. I've also tested the psu readings for both 6 pin rails and they all read 12+ on each. I've tried both x16 slots, no change as well.
both my motherboards don't have led indicator codes, they have a speaker beep error codes, i just got a speaker i ordered in the mail today. and i'm about to install it and see if it'll give me some error codes.
I haven't tried baking the card but.. i don't rule it out.

old trick: run a pencil earaer a couple times of both sides of the contacts on the ecdge connector...it will get rid of any oxidization on them...

also, if u have compressed air, blow out the socket

also, when you power on, what it the fan behavior? does it spin up? do nothing? or giggle a little bit?

ok so i used the speaker and it gives me a single beeping meaning successful boot and boots all the way
when i put the video card in, it doesn't give me any beeps >_<

what is the ps rating? its not about volts, ita about watts. (well, volt-amps really, but same thing)..

the reason i'm not RMA'n yet is because the guy i bought it from bought it from someone and powercolor only accepts original owner RMA. so i don't know if i'll be able to get it RMAd
First verify your parts to the best of your ability (try different video card, different PSU, etc)

After that here is your order of operations
a) Complain and return the card to the seller
b) Verify and see if you can't RMA the card with powercolor, just say it's not posting with the card.
c) Start doing all the weird stuff people in the thread are gonna be recommending, baking, pencil erasers, vodka-martini shots, the works.

Don't have any spare parts right now, I'm a marine so i move around a lot and left all my spare computer parts back home in storage. I went to a local shop, and they weren't much help, They didn't have any PSUs with pci power plugs -_- or even a pci express graphics card -_- or anything you could use to diagnose computers!! -_- I called the dude on the phone prior to driving there asking if he could test my card, he was like "sure just come right in, we do free diagnostics" i don't even know how they can operate without proper gear but that's a whole different story.. anyways yeah i've tried wiping the teeth down with alcohol and, wiped it dry. didn't help

Yeah i'm still waiting on Powercolors reply, but i'm not holding my breath i've read a lot of horrible stuff people have to say about their costumer service. I went ahead and bought another 6950 during the weekend and it should get here tomorrow or the next day!

once i know it's bad i'm gonna try the oven

I don't really wanna return to the buyer since, it could have just died in the way... ??

oh i forgot to ask though, if anybody does have the bios for this card. you could really help me rule that option out

the 800mhz isnt an issue, its just whatever they desided to lock the clock at....

the earlier link is the exact model? your sure?

btw:, is there a micro switch on the top edge for dual bios goodness?

actually, i have the sapphire 6950, i have the bios...if that pack doesnt have it, ill give u mine and you can try it

so when i booted up in windows with the built in graphics card, i took a look under display adapters and i have a "standaed vga graphics adapter" with a error code 10: device cannot start
gonna see if i can boot it with it now...

rats....

ok, check the manual and put the switch back in the flashable position, and check the link on that pack and flash the sapphire reference 6950 bios...

i gotta go to bed i have a long day tomorrow, thanks for all the advice everybody. I'll let know if i have any luck hearing back from powercolor

I don't really wanna return to the buyer since, it could have just died in the way... ??
I don't know, i would explore this option first. If it was damaged in shipping then nothing you're going to try is going to work since it's probably some physical damage to the product and you should contact the seller and take it up with the shipper.

If it was bad before shipping... well... then it's the sellers' fault for giving you a bad card (unless it was marked AS-IS). Have you at least contacted the seller letting him know it's not working?

Well i received a shapire 6950 today that i bought from these forums as well and had good luck, It booted up just fine, so all my other hardware is good ^^.. now i really wanna avoid trying to return to the buyer, If i can get it RMA'd that'd be ideal. If for some reason i can't RMA it i'll look into trying to get some sort of return on it. but it won't be much since i got a combo deal for the system.

you'll probably need a copy of the original sales slip to do that.

The original owner should be able to rma it. I am pretty sure the card was dead before shipping b/c that is one component that either gets broken out of the socket during shipping or was dead before shipping. It really does sound like someone tried to unlock it and fried it or there was another issue and he could not rma it himself.

If the seller was on this forum, we would hold his feet to the fire until something was done.

Semper Fi

Well i got a hold of the original owner which was very helpful.
Was able to get RMA# and will be mailing it in today ^^
Just wanted to thank everybody for their concern and advice!

Back