Help me BAIL from this junk~!!

Dr. Righteous

2[H]4U
I'm not a cell phone expert by any means.
And if I was a bit more savvy I would not have touched this piece of sh*t phone to start with.

We have Straight Talk and I can't really fault the network but the phone they recommended is garbage. That is a Samsung Galaxy Centura.

Both myself and my wife have this awful phone. Recently Amazon had the Fire phone at a discount we couldn't ignore. We are Amazon prime members, and our membership was coming up for renewal. So this seemed like a win-win; we ordered 2.
Well, the Fire phone takes a 'nano' SIM card. I had to order 2 of these form Straight Talk.
They should be here in a couple days.

So I was thinking "great. Just transfer the mobile network settings from the Samsung to the Fire phone we are all set."

WRONG. Apparently they are hidden on this blasted phone.
Did some digging online and where it says to find these setting on a Samsung Galaxy phone; they are not there.

Normally, you select Setting- wireless and network- more- mobile networks- .
On this Centura all it shows is DATA ENABLED (checkbox) nothing else.

Anyone have an idea how to access the phone settings on this phone??

Thanks

I am pretty sure you have to have the sim card in the phone before it lets you mess with the APN settings

I am pretty sure you have to have the sim card in the phone before it lets you mess with the APN settings

The sim card -is- in the phone (samsung)
I just couldn't swap the sim in to the new phone. The samsung takes a micro, the fire takes a nano.

I'm just trying to view all the settings so I can transfer them to the Fire phone when the sims arrive for them.

I’m not familiar with that Samsung phone. If you’re looking for the APN settings for Straight Talk, you should be able to find them from Google.

Last edited:
http://m.straighttalkbyop.com/view/page/p/113850/straighttalksim-data-apn-settings-att

(Assuming you're going to be using AT&T settings for the Fire Phone)

From some initial Googling, I think the Galaxy Centura is a CDMA phone running off of Verizon towers. You shouldn't be transferring the same settings anyway if that is the case. When you put the nano-Sims in the new phones you might not have to manually set anything.

Wow. Thats good to know.
The new sim card should be here Tuesday hopefully.
When I get them set up I'm taking the Samsung phones and throwing them in the river.
I checked for resell value and apparently they are worthless.

You can also buy a sim cutter on amazon (I bought one that was like $6, a really cheap chinese product that had horrible english, but it worked). If you ever have that kind of issue again that is.

also, if you go to one of those small mobile phone shops you can get the sim cards cut for about 5 dolllars if you didn't want to wait for the tool.

you generally need to activate the sim card by calling the carrier before itll work. also if its an unlocked phone it should just get the apn settings from the sim card itself but sometimes it doesnt in which case youll need to call the carrier... most of my unlocked phones automatically got the apn settings and was working after i activated the sim card. of course ymmv

you generally need to activate the sim card by calling the carrier before itll work. also if its an unlocked phone it should just get the apn settings from the sim card itself but sometimes it doesnt in which case youll need to call the carrier... most of my unlocked phones automatically got the apn settings and was working after i activated the sim card. of course ymmv

Yeah, and this is how it worked out.

Only hic up was my phone automatically populated my contact list; wife's didn't.
Everything else seems to work though.

Just don't get a windows phone. You might get so pissed you'd punch a kitten.

LoL!

So for the Fire phone is great. A huge upgrade from that junk Samsung.
Apps launch instantly. The speech to text actually works on this thing.
I ran 3DMark on it yesterday and it scored over 18K on ice storm extreme.

I'm not a fan of the Fire OS; really like regular Android; but it works, its reliable, its fast, long battery life, great camera, that is what I was after.
And got it for 189 plus 1 year of prime. So really the phone was $89. That is CHEAPER than that junk samsung.

Back