Help. Maffs ficko ere - Guidance on new buld

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
I've read the FAQ and tried the wattage calculator on the other sticky but can't get any meaningful indication out of them, I've also tried the figures on the PCP&C website but don't trust it too much :)

Basically I have at present a 400W Silent Zalman PSU, it's served me well and is currently powering my [email protected] and a 6800GT, no worries.

Now however there are new toys abound and I am putting together my new spec PC which I'll be ordering next week.

Basic Specs are as follows
Athlon 4400+ (Dual Core 1MB Cache)
2GB Ram (4*512)
SLi 7800GTX (I've been figuring same as 6800 Ultra for Power)
Asus A8N SLi Premium.
2*74GB Raptor Hard Disks
2* Maxtor 160GB Drives
2* DVD drives
Soundblaster ZS2 Platinum Pro (needs floppy power so assume about 8 watts or something)
Plus 3*120mm Fans

So how much do I need, can I survive with my existing one and save myself £100 or am I looking at spunking up for some hardcore uber expensive goodness.

Any guidance you can give on approximate power needed would be appreciated (by me if not necessarily my debit card)

holy shit boss</dodgy mexican>

Thats basically what I was coming up with but just kept thinking "Naaaaaaaaaaahhhh, thats not right"

Does that mean I need a Turbo-Cool 850 SSI. :(

Iratus said:
holy shit boss</dodgy mexican>

Thats basically what I was coming up with but just kept thinking "Naaaaaaaaaaahhhh, thats not right"

Yup. So.......how much do like the PC Power and Cooling 850w SSI :D

Seriously though if it is a real concern I would do one of three things:

1) Buy the PC Power and Cooling 850w SSI
2) Get a PSU that will run the single 7800 worst case scenario and then sell it in the forums when you go to upgrade
3) Wait until we know the draw of the 7800 in the next couple of weeks or so. Then decide.

What is this 'wait' you talk of. Foreign nonsense I tell you.

Seriously though, cheers for the advice. I'll look into it a bit more but looks like I might have to source a UK supplier of that Uber PSU, its not like I pay my electricity bill (thank god)

Iratus said:
What is this 'wait' you talk of. Foreign nonsense I tell you.

Seriously though, cheers for the advice. I'll look into it a bit more but looks like I might have to source a UK supplier of that Uber PSU, its not like I pay my electricity bill (thank god)

OK. Be sure your case will fit it if you buy it. It is an longer than a regular ATX by a good bit. Luck!

Back