Help! Looking for a working DVI-D to HDMI 4K 60hz 4-4-4 cable

vorpel

Limp Gawd
I've got a setup with 2 Samsung 50" JU6700 displays hooked up to a GTX960 card. This had been working great for over a year, but then the display connected via the DVI-D to HDMI cable started flickering (screen going black and coming back on every 2-5 seconds). Troubleshooting narrowed it down to the cable (another DVI-D to HDMI cable from another setup works fine).

I have tried 2 different replacement cables so far and no luck (still getting the screen blacking out and then coming back every 4-5 seconds). Here are the cables that I did NOT have luck with:

KabelDirekt High Speed HDMI to DVI Cable
BlueRigger High Speed HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable

I would prefer a 15' cable but will be happy with anything 6' or longer. This is my wife's setup so getting this fixed would be great!

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think DVI is limited to 2560x1600 @60Hz.

4K 60Hz can be done with DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 2.0.

If the original cable worked for a over a year before starting to flicker, and two other cables have the same problem, I'd say your TV is where the problem is. I'll bet that it has some caps are going bad and it can no longer compensate for the noise on the long cables (15' is pretty long) and drops sync. Even if you do find a cable that works, it'll probably only be temporary as those caps continue to degrade.

I think DVI is limited to 2560x1600 @60Hz.

4K 60Hz can be done with DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 2.0.

Some DVI to HDMI cables are capable of doing 2160p @ 60Hz:4:4:4 (I've got 2 setups that are doing it, but one is starting to have issues).

Unless there is a DisplayPort to HDMI cable capable of doing 2160p @ 60Hz:4:4:4 then I'm stuck with either the DVI to HDMI or buying a second video card to drive both displays.

If the original cable worked for a over a year before starting to flicker, and two other cables have the same problem, I'd say your TV is where the problem is. I'll bet that it has some caps are going bad and it can no longer compensate for the noise on the long cables (15' is pretty long) and drops sync. Even if you do find a cable that works, it'll probably only be temporary as those caps continue to degrade.

Thanks for the reply! True that 2 new cables that I've tried do not work, but I do have 1 15' Monoprice DVI to HDMI cable that works flawlessly on both setups. I did try a different video card (same card from my other setup) and still got the flicker. I'm really hoping it isn't the display...

In looking at Monoprice's website I think the cable might still be available - I'll be ordering one to give it a try.

Unfortunately I do need a 15' cable for my setup as the computer location is just too far away given my current setup.

Last edited:
That's true, but the DVI connectors on nvidia cards also function as HDMI 2.0 ports.

That's because HDMI was derived from the DVI spec. The founders wanted a way to avoid forcing customers who had just bought devices with the then relatively new DVI connections from having to buy all new devices, which would have limited the adoption of HDMI (look at how long DP took to gain traction). They use the same signaling, but where DVI died out, HDMI kept being improved.

So if you can, I recommend avoiding a signal converter since it just introduces unnecessary complication and expense.

Thanks Luke. If the Monoprice cable doesn't work, I'll get this and try it!
I have that adapter and it worked wit 280x and samsung 40" KU6300 quite well. The only problem i had is that i coudn't set in any way color (I mean 444). It looked fine thoug but i don't know it it was color gamut 444 or RGB Full

I have that adapter and it worked wit 280x and samsung 40" KU6300 quite well. The only problem i had is that i coudn't set in any way color (I mean 444). It looked fine thoug but i don't know it it was color gamut 444 or RGB Full

I have that adapter as well for my laptop. The reason you can't set the color is because Windows still sees it as DisplayPort, so its not exposing any HDMI specific features like the color space.

Back