Help: Itunes 9 is suddenly a resource hog

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
I recently upgraded to Itunes 9, and now the program uses twice as much memory as before. I use list view, but the memory in-use now is the same as Cover Flow used to use (250MB for a damn media player!)

Also, the interface is very sluggish, it takes over a second for it to respond to my mouse clicks and movements. During these moments, the CPU usage is pegged at maximum (See below). And yes, I have free memory, so it's not that.

30rp24j.png

Any ideas what the hell is going on here? I used to think Itunes was a decent media library, but now I'm having second thoughts. I would think that a 1.5 GHz processor would be more than enough for a simple media player (not even playing videos, just mp3 files already in my library).

Running Itunes 9 on Tiger. Mac Mini 1.5 Ghz Core Solo, 1GB.

That's definitely abnormal. It might be related to background processes, or database processing.

Try this: File -> Library -> Organize Library. Tick "upgrade to iTunes Media organization" and hit OK.

Also, yes, throwing some RAM at it can't hurt, especially since you have only 1GB.

That's definitely abnormal. It might be related to background processes, or database processing.

Try this: File -> Library -> Organize Library. Tick "upgrade to iTunes Media organization" and hit OK.

This is already done.

Also, yes, throwing some RAM at it can't hurt, especially since you have only 1GB.

Yes, of course, but I have memory free. In the screenshot I included, there's over 100MB free. And before Itunes started being a memory hog, I was sitting pretty with hundreds of megs of free memory, even with Firefox running for days and bloating like it usually does.

UPDATE: I just installed a security update, and after the restart all of a sudden things are smoother. After reboot, Itunes is only using 60MB, and scrolls ALMOST smooth. It's still not as good as it used to be (still sluggish and uses lots of CPU), but it's usable. I'll let you know if the memory size grows back to that gargantuan 250MB I saw earlier.

I have a hard time believing the security update fixed Itunes 9 performance, but the fact is I had already restarted once before I installed that update, and the damn program was still sluggish.

UPDATE: I just installed a security update, and after the restart all of a sudden things are smoother. After reboot, Itunes is only using 60MB, and scrolls ALMOST smooth. It's still not as good as it used to be (still sluggish and uses lots of CPU), but it's usable. I'll let you know if the memory size grows back to that gargantuan 250MB I saw earlier.

I have a hard time believing the security update fixed Itunes 9 performance, but the fact is I had already restarted once before I installed that update, and the damn program was still sluggish.

That's definitely strange. It could be some Tiger-only wrinkle that caused the issue.

Regardless, hope things settle down now.

Picture1-7.png

well I guess I never noticed it because I have a boatload of RAM. For the initial startup it was 90 mb~ Once I did some searching around in my library (loading up album art) then it jumped to 250~

iTunes... resource hog... no way!

I once bought a macbook (white) for the sake of running iTunes, hoping it was just horrilbe windows porting that made it slow.

Nope. (though I did like/love...ish it, I didn't need it.).

MIRACLE OF MIRACLES:

I installed 9.0.1 yesterday, and wouldn't you know it: the scrolling is now smooth again, and resource usage remains at 60MB like it always used to be.

Even scrolling full-speed, the processor usage peaks at just %30. I'd thank Apple for fixing things, but then they shouldn't have broken it in the first place.

Back