Help! Is my p8p67 pro busted?

Minotaar

Weaksauce
Ive had an Asus p8p67 pro for just over a year; recently the computer spontaneously shut off and would not turn on again. The power supply simply clicks, but there are no fans and the system does not boot or do anything.

unplugging the 8-pin atx cable and nothing else results in the fans spinning up.

So, I'm guessing there is some sort of short on the 8-pin atx cable on the motherboard. I've already replaced the psu, but the only way I can get anything to spin up is by removing that 8-pin cable.

Do you agree I have a dead motherboard?

Same thing just happened here to my P8P67 :p

Last wednesday, during simple web browsing, just shut off and no signs of life at all after that. And top af all, seems that mobo also took my 2500k to it's grave. It won't start even when put into new board (Intel DH67CL). And strongly looks like it ALSO killed my new temporary replacement CPU (i3 2100) after I tested Asus with it ...

If 8-pin power cord is removed fans start spinning but that's it. And now situation is exactly same with new Intel mb.

Did bit of research, and it looks like this is nothing special with Asus P67 boards.

And no, problem isn't in PSU, since it (Antec TP New 650) was replaced with Corsair CX430v2, which was purchased last saturday just for this situation.

Oh well, it was B2 so this is just as good time as any to get it replaced.

Last edited:
You try the PSU in another system? It's highly likely that ASUS board bit the dust from what you've posted but it doesn't hurt to try it and be sure of what the problem is.

Everything is cross-tested, thats propably why I'm currently without working desktop system, just laptop. And, of course, both PSU's were measured with multimeter, so at least voltages are exactly what they should be. This obviously doesn't necessarily tell the whole story, but still.

edit: just to clarify, neither of those two combos won't even give beeps.

What a nightmare. Yes, I've also tested my PSU (a corsair AX 850) now that I've replaced the PSU from RMA. Before, the PSU showed no voltage in the 24pin mobo power cable, now it does.Also works fine on the 8 pin side.

What an expensive disaster. Do you think it's worth trying to RMA the motherboard? It would really suck if I just got the same board back and it blew out a new CPU. Do you think it might be worth trying to RMA the CPU?

Board is definitively RMA-case, propably CPU also.

I just came back from local computer retailer where we tested both CPUs with yet another board. Both are dead, no beeps no nothing.

Next step is to send whole lot (Asus and those two CPU's) to original retailer for RMA.

And I'm going to try to get Z68 or Z77 board as replacement. Not very much faith left for these P67 crappies.

As said, bit of Googling can tell everyone that these are not isolated incidents.

I didn't think it was even possible to kill an Intel CPU (or really any CPU) without heavy overvolting. Looks like I dodged a bullet by getting NewEgg to return my P8P67 for a Z68 UD5 a year ago. Is it just isolated to the ASUS boards or is this a P67 (and possibly Z68) issue in general?

Since it seems that CPU's get fried I would believe that the problem is somewhere in VRM components feeding CPU. Maybe Asus rep's will find this thread, and give us some kind of answer. Maybe.

Could be any number of things. Including a bad PSU power rail. Had a case like this before where AC was riding on the rail slowly killing boards (DMM won't show it). Without testing and knowing how things were setup it is always difficult to diagnose these situations.

On top of that, with over 100k units sold, one is bound to find some cases on the internet for just about every scenario (although most are never fully diagnosed).

Best bet in these cases is to RMA all related components (PSU and board and start again). Note what was done last time setup wise, and learn from it.

-Raja

Above could be true IF second CPU at same board using brand new PSU (that Corsair CX430v2) wouldn't have been fried at first startup attempt ;)

edit: and of course everyone in this thread, or at least me, would be very interested to hear what was the problem. But I guess that will never happen.

I am inclinde to believe it is not a PSU problem, because the same problem exists even after the PSU is replaced. 8-pin mobo cable on the PSU was tested on a mobo tester, indicating correct operation (the mobo tester is a multitester, not just idiot lights)

I dont have another 1155 motherboard to test the CPU unfortunately. I guess I'll have to RMA the mobo and then test the CPU, an then RMA the CPU if it's bad... Fortunately I got a boxed processor with the longer warranty.

Slight necro because I was searching around for this problem.

I had the same exact thing happen to me with my P8P67 Evo.

Walked into my room to my monitor going to sleep, PC was off. Tried to power it back on, nothing.

This is a day after repairing a computer with a faulty PSU which exhibited the same no-power but standby lights on symptom. Figured the same thing happened..

30 minutes later (undoing ALL my neat wiring and fitting my spare PSU) I find out it's not the PSU.

I remove my components one by one, same problem. Get down to just the board/cpu, same problem. Remove the CPU, board doesn't attempt to power on, guess that's by design?

I never tried the 8pin thing.

I was forced to buy a replacement board/mobo as I could NOT take the chance on just assuming one of them was dead, nor could I wait 2+ weeks without a PC for replacements to get back to me. Not happy about having to spend money I don't have and downgrade my board to a Z77-V Pro because they discontinued the Evo. (All because I just need a damn PCI slot). Had a chat with them over twitter about this, maybe that'll spark the Evo coming back, but I highly doubt it. Stuck with a complete downgrade (Only 2 USB 2.0 ports FFS, no e-sata either!) that uses more watts, not happy at all.

I didn't actually test either CPU in either board, wanted to get my system up and running ASAP.

So, I guess these line of boards had a faulty design from the start. If my CPU is dead because of this I'll throw a fit.

ASUS support immediately said "RMA" without bothering to give any troubleshooting tips or even any other information. Still the same terrible support.. RMAing anyway since all the reports about this imply it's the board.

This is the first time a motherboard has died on me, and I've used an ASUS board in the past without much issue.. The only problem is that it had a faulty chipset heatsink or something because the MCP listed the temp as being 200C at idle.. and then it got hot enough the sensor flat out broke and it listed -257C. A while after that my PC would just turn off. Touching the chipset heatsink nearly burned the shit out of my finger, so it wasn't lying. Had to leave my side panel open to workaround it. The RMA'd board was a lot better, but still getting to around 100C. Board never died though for the 2 years I used it.

Last edited:
Well shit. You all have me worried now.
crossing this evil thread out. ;)

Crazy thing. This just happened to me last week. I thought it might have just been a fluke and something else happened (ie: PSU was dieing and took out the board). I guess this isn't the case.

I honestly hope it didn't fry the CPU. I guess I could contact Intel anyway just to err on the side of caution.

Last week I pressed the “shutdown” button to close down the pc and this time it did it instantly.

So tried to startup the PC again, but nothing happened. The PSU did only give a “click” sound when pressing the ON button, sounded exactly the same as when it did ‘’shutdown”.

Followed the strip down troubleshoot procedure (checked the PSU and Memory in other PC and both are OK) and ended up with a P8P67 pro rev3.1 plus an i5 2500K and Seasonic X660 PSU. I also connected a case fan and the CPU fan and started to troubleshoot.

When connecting only the 24pin on the MB, the fans started to turn. But when plugging in the 8pin CPU power, the PSU shuts off immediately (same “click” sound). After searching on the internet it seems this is the ultimate sign the VRM has died and could have taken the CPU with it.

At this point it is hard to tell if the CPU has really died or not. I took a multimeter and measured the resistance between the 8pin CPU ATX connector and the output of the VRM to the CPU (the place where all the capacitors are put together). OUCH, that is a real short 0.5 Ohms.
So the CPU gets 12V on it for the time the VRM and/or PSU needs to shut down. Seems that is too long for the CPU to survive and I expect that in this case the CPU has died as well. To verify this I tried the “dead” CPU on a new MB which pointed out that it has died as well.

So for those who will come across this same route, checkout this:

Try testing the motherboard with the 24-pin plugged in but without the 4-pin/8-pin CPU power plug. This is the ultimate deal breaker; if the motherboard only boots when CPU power plug is unplugged (though it obviously won't POST), you have a VRM failure on your hands. So NEVER , NEVER put a NEW CPU on this faulty motherboard, you will toast the new CPU as well!!

Remove the CPU form the motherboard and now try testing the motherboard with the 24-pin and the 4-pin/8-pin CPU power plugged in. If the PSU shuts down, the CPU has likely survived and the board is at fault. However if the PSU does not shut down the CPU has probably died as well.

Last edited:
So the rev 3.1 still had the same CPU power delivery issue, huh?

Hopefully anyone with the P8P67 line of boards gets them replaced before this happens; sad to see people losing CPUs over it.

I can't actually remember if my CPU died or not; it's been just over a year since it happened and I've had it and the replacement motherboard sitting in storage the entire time (as I still haven't obtained enough components to build a spare PC.. though I don't have the space for it anyway as much as I need a rendering/storage system.. *sigh*)

My Z77-V Pro is still working, though I'm still miffed over the downgrade from the EVO. Worse is my USB ports are troublesome and repeatedly disconnect my peripherals if even a feather touches the wire.

Shame Haswell was such a damn letdown. All I can hope for is IB-E, or preferibly Haswell-E. I'd lose QuickSync and all its now useful benefits in the encoding/streaming world.. but the jump to 6-8 cores (better be 8) is more beneficial. Really need to get a new board that isn't so heavily restricted like the V-Pro.. (and most likely be forced to switch to a PCI-E sound card, ugggh)

Wow. My P8P67 has this exact issue TODAY. :| What the hell. And Asus is closed on Sundays..

Went to pick up another motherboard, but I am getting machine check errors with a new motherboard. Separate thread, but damn...this blows.

I had my P8P67 do the same thing months ago. I opted to get a MSI board and promptly sold the board I got back from Asus RMA on eBay.

Back