Help identifying HP blade server hardware

I have the opportunity to buy some hardware but I'm having a tough time finding out what the specs are of the equipment. I'm not real familiar with blade equipment so I might end up passing on this hardware, I'm looking at this hardware for office use but since there is so much I will probably resell some of it unless I get a major influx of business.

Can blade servers be used outside the "cage"? I don't see a PSU on these things so I'm wondering is a PSU can be rigged to attach to it by making an adapter with 12v & 5V rails. Basically getting either a regulated Bench PSU or modified computer PSU to a custom build connector to run the units.

The stats list that each of these have 2 Opteron 2.4 Ghz CPU's and 8000 series MOBO chipset, so it seems like these are pretty new CPU's? Can anyone help identify possible CPU's from this info?

Also, it says that the RAM available is 4x4GB 333MHz, 400Mhz speed, what does that mean? Which speed is that, I've seen other servers list that as well- My IBM has the same PC2-3200 4GB sticks that say 333Mhz on them but all info pn the net say 400Mhz. Any ideas?

This stuff is at an auction house and the only info available is the following:
3 Gigabit LAN adapters
2 AMD Opteron 2.4 GHz Number of Installed Processors 2
16gb installed - 4x4 GB DDR SDRAM - RAM Speed 333 MHz, 400 MHz Number of Memory Slots 8 x DIMMs
Motherboard Chipset AMD Opteron 8000
Storage Maximum Storage Capacity 120 GB (none included)
Integrated Lights-Out (iLO)
Dimensions (per unit) Height 1.61 in. Depth 25.35 in. Width 4.72 in. Weight 8.19 lb.

hp-blade.jpg

hp-blade2.jpg

Can blade servers be used outside the "cage"? I don't see a PSU on these things so I'm wondering is a PSU can be rigged to attach to it by making an adapter with 12v & 5V rails. Basically getting either a regulated Bench PSU or modified computer PSU to a custom build connector to run the units.
Blades have proprietary ports. So unless you're hellbent on hacking something together, your answer is "no".

Honestly, I'd say skip this purchase. The extra cost to get this stuff working might exceed your budget. It's better to get something new, or at least has a warranty and SLA.

There's no way to know what model Opterons those are?

Even if they were free, it's going to cost you some time & money to get a proper power supply and with bad luck they'll be dual-core Opterons.

What software were you planning on running?

I wouldn't bother, even if they were free. It's just going to be a headache.

Blades have proprietary ports. So unless you're hellbent on hacking something together, your answer is "no".

Honestly, I'd say skip this purchase. The extra cost to get this stuff working might exceed your budget. It's better to get something new, or at least has a warranty and SLA.

Thanks for the info. I'm really out of touch with with the balde paltforms. I was just enticed because this stuff looked pretty current hardware wise but with 8 and 16 core CPU's coming out, IDK how much old 2/4core CPU's are worth in a platform like this.

There's no way to know what model Opterons those are?

Even if they were free, it's going to cost you some time & money to get a proper power supply and with bad luck they'll be dual-core Opterons.

What software were you planning on running?

I wouldn't bother, even if they were free. It's just going to be a headache.

Thanks for the opinoin. I think it will be a headache as well. I thought these looked like pretty new CPU's which is what peaked my interest. I was thinking about parting a lot of these out and selling the CPU's and RAM as parts.

Unfortunately there is no way to find out what model these opteron's are. The only thing that I can go off of is the "8000" series chipset motherboard.

These were in use somewhere in DOD and are now up for auction.

Unless you're wanting to run a Citrix farm or a distributed-computing system (e.g. render farm) then I'd pass. I'm surprised that they're not being sold with their backbone - maybe it's another lot in the auction.

One thing that's not been mentioned is that blades often depend upon their backbone for cooling and I/O.

looks like OLD OLD hardware ddr333 is so old.

I bet one of those blades would eat your power bill. EKKS!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Older blades are dirt cheap these days, but you still have to get the proprietary enclosure and associated gear for them, which makes an otherwise seemingly great deal a big headache.

Wow, the more I read about the Opteron's the more I see that these are probably really old. I'm way out of touch on AMD server processors and I was thinking that the 8000 series was only released in the last 2 years. Now I see that they go back to late 2005 and I was thinking these were from around 2010+.

There is one feature on this that says the motherboards have a 120GB limitation so that says something about age right there:D

Wow, the more I read about the Opteron's the more I see that these are probably really old. I'm way out of touch on AMD server processors and I was thinking that the 8000 series was only released in the last 2 years. Now I see that they go back to late 2005 and I was thinking these were from around 2010+.

There is one feature on this that says the motherboards have a 120GB limitation so that says something about age right there:D

120 gigs of DDR 333 ?

With 4 ram slots in each blad, that's NOT going to happen.

You need two 200V+ connections for the blade chassis anyway. Don't bother.

Back