Help Identify Sempron: 64bit or 32bit?

Major_A

[H]ard|Gawd
Yesterday I got tired of my HTPC crashing itself so I went and bought a Sempron 2800+/ECS combo at Fry's for $80. I asked the sales guy if the Sempron was a 64 bit edition and he told me no. After I got everything installed I ran Everest to see what the temps were looking like. While I was there I hit the CPUID and got some interesting results.
EverestCPUID.jpg

I thought I was getting a Palermo core but Everest says Winchester and shows x86-64 extensions in there. After noticing this this I fired up CPU-Z and obtained these results.
CPU-Z.jpg

While CPU-Z shows a Palermo core it still shows the x86-64 extensions. So what is this thing and is it 64 bit capable? I don't want to try Windows 64 to see if it is, besides that my capture card and sound card don't have 64 bit drivers. Is there any way to run a test to see if it is actually using those extensions?

I'm looking for a 64 bit Linux distro that can run from a CD to see if this thing works. Any opinions on the processor or where to find a 64 bit distro would be appreciated.

Thanks for the quick response. The retail box the CPU came in says nothing about 64 bit on it. But if you look at Newegg the 64 bit Semprons do. I'll try to fire up that Linux and see what happens and report back, thanks again.

is there any way to install the linux without deleting the windows partition? I really want to do this but so far I have not been able to find a way.

That ubuntu live cd distro works just fine for what you want.

I tried to run it on my Sempron and it was a no go. I guess the 64 bit instructions aren't working. I did run it on my A64 machine to make sure the distro was working. Last night I did reach the limits of this ECS board, 250FSB max. So now it's on to Clockgen to see what this thing can do. So far it's running at 250*8 with 1.4V, idles at 30 degrees Celcius and tops out at 33 degrees Celcius with a Zalman 7000 Al-Cu HSF. For $80 this is definately one of the best computer buys I've made, cheap, fast, and quiet. I actually got through my first full day of watching my HTPC without it taking a dump too.

Major_A said:
Thanks for the quick response. The retail box the CPU came in says nothing about 64 bit on it.
It used to be easy: SDAxxxxBABOX = no x86-64, SDAxxxxBXBOX = x86-64. But now there are SDAxxxxBABOX CPUs with x86-64. :confused:

Hopefully this doesn't last long and all S754 AMD CPUs will have x86-64 enabled.

I picked up the same combo for a friend of mine last week, got a 32-bit cpu.

You got a D0 stepping, which is a Winchester based Sempron. Origionally these were 32-bit only but AMD flashed the CPUs to be 64-bit and repackaged them. The Venice based Semprons were 64-bit enabled from the start IIRC. So it appears you have one of the 64-bit enabled Winchester Semprons.

Well it didn't run the 64 bit Linux distro so I guess I got what I paid for. Here are my results from a day of hard locks and blue screens.

Max O/C:
HighestOC-A.jpg

HighestOC-B.jpg

Yes I'm running two sticks of different brand value RAM. So at 300Mhz I had to run it at 133Mhz.

Everyday O/C:
Everyday-A.jpg

Everyday-B.jpg

I bought a mobo/cpu combo from Fry's a couple weeks ago. It was a Sempron 2800+ and I got the same results when I ran CPU-z. Looks like I got a good deal on a 64 bit AMD too. The box didn't have the "AMD64" logo either.

Back