HELP!! I think I overclocked too much!

Desolate

Limp Gawd
I finally got my cpu to overclock. All was going good until I OC'ed too much. The system wouldn't let me get past the boot screen and told me to change the settings in BIOS. This is absolutely normal when I try to OC too much, so I went in a put it down about 3mhz. I restarted and now my monitor wont turn on. It acts like it has no connection to the PC. The load light will show on the case, but I don't see the mouse or keyboard light up. I hear the heatsink fan going, but nothing else happens. I don't smell anything burning at all and the heatsink wasn't very hot at all. What happened and how do I fix this?

Thanks!!

Oh great...

I continued with my overclocking and thought I got to a safe point. Then my monitor just turned off again.

Now resetting the CMOS will not fix the problem. It's doing the same thing as last time... no mouse, keyboard, or monitor power.

I hope nothing is seriously wrong.. I'm getting worried now.

Can anyone help please?

Ok, after resetting the CMOS about literally 20 times, it finally worked.

Whew..

I wish I knew a way to overclock without having to go through all this trouble of resetting the CMOS everytime...

I upped it 3-5mhz at a time, restarted, made sure it could boot up correctly. No problems at 2400mhz and then the monitor shut off again after about 15 minutes.

How do I find a safe overclocking point?

Could be the PSU. I've never heard of that before, I think resetting the CMOS was just a lucky guess. Sounds like you don't know what ur doing, so try reading elipse's guide.

Btw, simply booting doesn't = stability.

thunderstruck! said:
Could be the PSU. I've never heard of that before, I think resetting the CMOS was just a lucky guess. Sounds like you don't know what ur doing, so try reading elipse's guide.

Btw, simply booting doesn't = stability.
So what should I do after booting up to ensure stability?

Desolate said:
So what should I do after booting up to ensure stability?

Stability for cpu = 32M Superpi + >6hours Prime95 stable (use google)
Stability for ram = memtest86+ (use google)

you should be running a program like prime95 overnight along with a couple of hours of memtest.

if either of those programs comes up with an error, you'll want to clock it down a little. when its prime/memtest stable, then life is good.

Wow... I used atitool to overclock my card last night. I let it sit for an hour finding the core and mem speeds.

Then today my monitor turned off like when I overclocked my cpu. I had to reset the CMOS again! This time I didn't touch the cpu speeds though, they're stock.

Why the hell can't I do anything right? Is this a normal thing that happens when a video card is overclocked?

Well, what's your PSU. It definately sounds like an underpowered PSU to me. An overclock will not just turn the computer off, you will get most likely a BSOD, reboot, or freeze. If it just turns off, that ususally means about power. Make sure all your mobo connections are in securly.

BTW, you say you are in NJ, where? Maybe I can help you out locally.

iSkylla said:
Well, what's your PSU. It definately sounds like an underpowered PSU to me. An overclock will not just turn the computer off, you will get most likely a BSOD, reboot, or freeze. If it just turns off, that ususally means about power. Make sure all your mobo connections are in securly.

BTW, you say you are in NJ, where? Maybe I can help you out locally.
I'm in Bergen County. Lodi to be exact. I'm not too sure where Millburn is. Thanks for the offer :)

The PSU may be underpowered, it's pretty weak according to today's standards I think. I'm pretty sure its 300W or maybe 350 at the most. Is that too low for my specs?

Desolate said:
Where in BIOS is this?

Look around for something that has to do with AGP/PCI frequency and you'll find it.

And yes, it's definately your power supply.

Desolate said:
The PSU may be underpowered, it's pretty weak according to today's standards I think. I'm pretty sure its 300W or maybe 350 at the most. Is that too low for my specs?

BAM!

Just be happy you can run at stock with that... especially if it's a generic PSU. I'd be interested to see the brand/model of that PSU.

Look into getting a new PSU at this point, even if you have to scrimp and save a little for it.

Look at Fortron/Sparkle if you need something inexpensive but powerful. :)

Blue Falcon said:
BAM!

Just be happy you can run at stock with that... especially if it's a generic PSU. I'd be interested to see the brand/model of that PSU.

Look into getting a new PSU at this point, even if you have to scrimp and save a little for it.

Look at Fortron/Sparkle if you need something inexpensive but powerful. :)
Wow, at least theres a label on the problem now :D

Thanks for all the help.

Back