HELP! I think I fried my 9700 Pro

Weaksauce
I have a Matrix Orbital LCD in my main computer. MO supplies a power adapter with the LCD that is a modified floppy drive type power connector. The modification involves switching the 12V line to the 5V line spot and a gound wire to the 12V line spot. The 2 center pins are not connected.

Well.......while installing a 9700 Pro in my second computer, I screwed up and plugged this adapter into the 9700Pro and then powered on. Basically, this applied 12V to the 5V line on the card and a ground to the 12V line on the card. During POST, the display did not come on and I got an error code and siren from the mobo.

When I checked, the HSF on the 9700 Pro is not spinning and the card appears dead.

I didn't smell anything burning, the card just failed.

Is there any hope that I haven't ruined the Radeon?????

Any suggestions out there????

The card was a gift from a friend and I have no receipt or box for it. Can't really RMA the thing anyway since it was my own stupidity at fault!

I appreciate any suggestions.

Unfortunately, you fried it. I just got done wrapping my powersupply cables in techflex and on one set of wires I mixed those two wires up. I hosed a DVD drive before I figured out the red and yellow wires were backwards. Sorry you had a more expensive learning process than I did. My DVD drive smelled bad where the power plug plugs into it.

Do not despair just yet there buckaroo!
I had a somewhat similar situation with my 9700. I accidently knocked one of my fan leads loose while I was checking out my new fanbus I'd installed, and I think it caused a voltage spike which fried my card (it's the only thing i could think of that might have done it).
My bro, the whiz kid took a look at it and found that a trace for the AGP power (where the card plugs into the AGP slot) had burnt. It had even caused some of the gold on the connector to lift up.
He took a rear window defogger repair kit and repainted the trace, then put a real thin layer of epoxy over it (making sure to let both dry completely).
He did it about 9 months ago and the card is still rockin' today! Saved me $300!
Anyway, take a real hard look at that card (with a magnifying glass) and see if you might be able to fix it.
Good luck with it my friend, I know just how you feel.

Originally posted by Sarge
Do not despair just yet there buckaroo!
I had a somewhat similar situation with my 9700. I accidently knocked one of my fan leads loose while I was checking out my new fanbus I'd installed, and I think it caused a voltage spike which fried my card (it's the only thing i could think of that might have done it).
My bro, the whiz kid took a look at it and found that a trace for the AGP power (where the card plugs into the AGP slot) had burnt. It had even caused some of the gold on the connector to lift up.
He took a rear window defogger repair kit and repainted the trace, then put a real thin layer of epoxy over it (making sure to let both dry completely).
He did it about 9 months ago and the card is still rockin' today! Saved me $300!
Anyway, take a real hard look at that card (with a magnifying glass) and see if you might be able to fix it.
Good luck with it my friend, I know just how you feel.

you may also want to check for a SMT fuse (usually a rectangle in shape, green label, with a number and A for amps Ex 1A) and do a contuity test on it. or hell, just replace it anyway. Had a mb that a friend accidentally plugged in the power connectors backwards (AT power, not ATX) and luckily it just blew a fuse.

Remeber to Bury it or burn it

We lost another soldier... again

damn their dropping like flies

we need reinforcements

(wait I hear a new wave will be disbatched shortly that should kick some ass)

Back